Agnostic.com

5 16

LINK Judge grants injunction blocking Indiana's abortion restrictions

BLOOMINGTON — A special judge has granted a motion for a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit against Indiana's new abortion law, effectively blocking its enforcement as the case proceeds.

Judge Kelsey B. Hanlon granted the motion Thursday, siding with several Planned Parenthood chapters who allege Senate Enrolled Act 1 violates the state constitution. It comes exactly one week after the law went into effect.

Hanlon's findings state, in part, that the law "... materially burdens Hoosier women and girls' right to bodily autonomy by making that autonomy largely contingent upon first experiencing extreme sexual violence of significant loss of physical health or death. S.B. 1 also materially burdens the bodily autonomy of Indiana's women and girls by significantly and arbitrarily limiting their access to care ..."

It continues, "... There is reasonable likelihood that this significant restriction of personal autonomy offends the liberty guarantees of the Indiana Constitution and the Plaintiffs will prevail on the merits as to their claim that S.B. 1 violates Article I & 1 of the Indiana Constitution. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just purchased a shirt that says “Abortion is kind of a double edge sword. On one hand I like the idea of dead babies, but in the other hand I hate the idea of woman making decisions.”

Unfortunately not all state constitutions have such provisions protecting bodily autonomy. And if gerrymandering is allowed to continue, then there may be fewer still. We (Dems, libs, indies) need to pay more attention and pour more resources into state-level elections. State legislatures are where the battle is now.

Waiting for the jerks to try and change the Indiana constitution.

May this be the first domino to fall.

Step #1.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687842
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.