Agnostic.com

10 14

Have you seen the movie "Operation Mincemeat" on Netflix? An extrordinary true story.

It's a great movie starring Colin Firth. Spectacular deception of Hitler that let 160,000 Allied forces land in Sicily with little resistance during WWII.

British intelligence brilliantly tricked the Nazi bastards. A major turning point in the war.

It's wonderful!

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

THANKS.
I like historic/ docudramas.
Learning just doesn't stop( my father and me had discussions about WW2).
But it was a large event
as far as humanity is concerned.

I did a while back. It was good.

My Dad served in WWII but he never talked about it. An uncle was a medic on D-Day. Another uncle almost died from injuries while in the Navy in the Pacific theater. A friend (he passed 3 years ago) survived the Battle of Anzio. This looks like a interesting movie.

My father, who died this year, probably benefitted from the success of this ruse. Newly called up when he reached the age, he was sent to North Africa and was in Sicily, at Anzio and at the liberation of Rome. During the progress, he was attached to both the British 8th Army and the US 5th Army in Signals.

He was always a little resentful that this accomplishment was never recognised as it should have been, because it was overshadowed by D-Day, which happened a few days later.

Many more yet to be revealed but do not ask me where. Such was the swearing of secrecy but they need not be kept secret now as war has changed.

Sounds interesting. I have just made a note to check it out next time I'm not juggling 25 projects.

Haven't heard of it. I'll have to check it out

Yes I did and enjoyed it.

You may also love this documentary, which tell the true story, but with a great sense of fun.

@Fernapple

Thank you! That documentary was fascinating.

@LiterateHiker I loved the ladies tell their stories first hand, and the rich collection of eccentrics.

No, but I did see the nineteen fifties film, The Man Who Never Was, based on the same story, that was great fun too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.