Agnostic.com

23 3

How do you feel about marriage?

Being atheist, I don't believe in marriage other than tax advantages and estate planning.

confidentrealm 7 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear there's three rings in a marriage. the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering.

Lol

I prefer to organise my relationship with the other person involved. How can, inviting the church or government to become involved, improve things?

Not good, based on my personal experience. Not sure if I would ever want to be married again after that.

It had a place in generations past, it has little relevance now.

I have been married for forty three years. During this time we were hippies, devout Xian, and now I am agnostic, and she is theist. I really don't know or want any other way.

Married and divorced x 3. I can’t see trying again, but I won’t say never.

Having just gotten a divorce, I don't want to get married again. I definitely don't want to share my space with another adult right now. Not opposed to eventually having another partnership. I dunno. I'm young, life's unpredictable journey.

The legal benefits and rights are what I feel are most important. It's part of the reasons why the lgbt community fought for so long to get the ability to marry.

Marriage for me had nothing to do with religion; it was about committing to another person. At this point in my life (husband died last year) I am very happy to be single and have absolutely no desire to marry again.

Personally, I like it.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

never again

I have been married for over 22 years. We did have a religious ceremony, but we were fairly young and it was before we came to the realization that we didn't believe in god. I don't regret my wedding, and I most certainly do not regret marrying my husband, but if something were to happen to him I would not get married again.

I have been in two 16 year relationships that had marriage as part of them. They were both appropriate to us at the time. They were both successful, until they weren't.
I'm now open to intimate relationships again but marriage isn't something I need, or desire.

Marriage, like many other things, is a personal choice. It's for some folks, not for others. I'm fairly neutral on the subject.

I don't give it much thought. Never have been & really don't plan on it happening anytime soon.

tax advantages? tell me. So far I have seen no advantages to being legally married and have wondered why so many people fight for the right to be married. totally perplexing to me

Indifferent

Not sure. I got married because family, neighbors, etc treated us disrespectfully for living together. Divorce was increasing, but not common. As a married couple, society seemed to recognize us as legit and treated us accordingly.

Now, marriage is not even a commitment if one can divorce the other with no input from that other. The financial risks are tremendous. So, I am not sure there IS any counterbalancing benefit.

Add in how much certain hateful groups try to dictate who can and cannot marry... makes me want to rebel by refusing ever to tie the knot again.

Zster Level 8 Apr 29, 2018

I think it looks good on paper. Taxes and estate crap. But I don't know. I may again. But would take a really special person

Sat across the intersection from a guy and his apparent wife yesterday.. Big Ass SUV, they looked the part … likely ten years younger than me. She was totally disengaged, pretty much looking down or away. His look as we passed haunts me … it was a desperate envy.. Me, alone in my little truck, smiling in the sun ..off to buy beer & barkdust. Him, fuckin trapped, bigtime…

Damn, be careful what you wish for ~

Varn Level 8 Apr 29, 2018

Are those advantages worth the risk of a financial divorce?

Whatever the tax advantages, my marriage cost the family’s century farm… Land I’d put my life into, in our family 75 years before she’d come on the scene … and it had never done me wrong.. Sure makes it difficult to advise daughters ~

@Varn I’m sure

I think marriage does make a difference in relationship stability. I do tno see it as a religious thing, but more of a secular and legal thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.