Agnostic.com

4 10

LINK MN lawmakers' ‘Secular Government Caucus' will combat Christian nationalism

A “Secular Government Caucus” is coming to the Minnesota state legislature, thanks to four lawmakers who want to protect church/state separation and push back against the forces of Christian nationalism.

Perhaps even more stunning? This morning’s announcement reveals that 20 of their colleagues will be joining them.

“We are troubled by the efforts from some politicians to push a Christian Nationalist agenda, where right-wing Christian politicians are attempting to break down the wall of separation between church and state in order to push their beliefs on others,” said the caucus co-chairs in a press release announcing the launch.

In a state with a Democratic governor, though, is this caucus even necessary? The four members launching the group believe it is and that’s why they’ve spent months preparing for this moment.
Why Minnesota lawmakers are creating the Secular Government Caucus

Back in August, Rep. Mike Freiberg, Rep. Athena Hollins, Sen. Jen McEwen, and Sen. John Marty reached out to their colleagues and invited them to join the new group, saying “We believe that it is important to form a legislative Secular Government Caucus to support our constitutional separation of church and state.” ...

snytiger6 9 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm for any caucus that takes on the religious nationalist agenda.

I do believe people who care about a Democratic form of government are concerned about these nuts.

Time will tell if anything gets done to counteract them.

Almost too good to be true.

If my state, Iowa, becomes unliveable culturally and politically, which it may well do in the next several years, Minneapolis is where I would move, even tho I hate winter as much as the next person. But the bonus of moving there, if I had the guts to do it, is that I would have a much better dating pool there if I'm still single.

I think I might want to move to that state some day. OF course it is colder than Illinois and not a fan of cold weather.

As a native Minnesotan, I can say it has much to say for it. The accent takes a bit of getting used to and the Republican senate has been blocking cannabis legalization for like forever.

@Theresa_N Trying weed is on my bucket list. I thinking of buying some later this month.

@freedom41 I have nothing against marijuana for those who enjoy it. If you find it enjoyable go for it.

My wife and I tried it in the mid-seventies and we both found it to be very unpleasant. We both said "never again" and never did it again. Perhaps we were outliers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:689689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.