Agnostic.com

3 8

Damage Update

The roofers are MIA.

There was a hotel room with kitchenette available nearby so I went there and they tried to charge me a ridiculously high rate. Sayonara! For the same amount as one night I got a better air mattress for the floor in my garage.

I had awful news from the insurance company yesterday in re to paying for the mold remediation. I told the woman that I was getting severely frustrated and was on the verge of cussing her out. We talked more today and it was actually rather pleasant. Apparently she thinks I am a lot like her sister. She must be fond of that sister!

The estimator from the mold remediation company left a message that they would not be taking the job and to find someone on Google. I had sent the mold report but he hadn't come here to look at the job. WTF?

The cat likes the new air mattress at least. She is still kinda freaked out about living in the garage. Poor thing.

MizJ 8 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose with the multitudes of jobs to choose from, companies and pick ones that pay the best considering the work they'd have to do (as little as possible). Business is cold-hearted. Sorry you're going through a frustrating process. I'd be pretty upset too. I was reminded of intense frustration yesterday while waiting four and a half hours for a tow... I thought I'd have to sleep in my vehicle, my phone died and I couldn't hook up my car battery else I'd have an electrical fire... and I had AAA too. I was livid, and that was just one nights' incident... facing what you are day after day would be brutal.

Wow. Four and a half hours.

I've heard that there are a lot of horrid insurance company incidents. I hope you find a decent company to handle the mold problem be careful about scammers !

Sounds like it is going to be a slow slog back to anything near normal. Think of garage living like camping in the backyard, but without the fire ants and armadillos! 😁

I put hot sauce in front of the door so the snake will hopefully stay out.

@MizJ "The snake?" Do you have a snake that returns every night? And a bottle of hot sauce keeps them out? I'm confused again.

@PondartIncbendog My house door and back garage door are separated by just a few feet, the snake lives in the same area. It's a black racer, a little more than 3 feet long (1meter). When I saw it the other day I ran for the hot sauce as it has gone into the garage before. No one is ever around when it shows up to take care of it, they earn their name and are very fast. Also are not afraid of humans.

@MizJ
I’m not sure the hot sauce has any effect upon the snake. See:
[sciencedirect.com]

“Birds are indifferent to the pain-producing effects of capsaicin and therefore serve as vectors for seed dispersal… The reported insensitivity of reptiles and toads to capsaicin Hawkins et al. 1991, Szallasi and Blumberg 1999 further suggests that mammalian vanilloid receptors evolved from an ancestral channel capable of integrating acidity and noxious heat. Thus, the same structural elements that help define the chili pepper's ecological niche may also determine the extent to which endogenous lipids contribute to inflammatory thermal hyperalgesia in a given vertebrate species. This newly acquired sensitivity to anandamide (and perhaps other, structurally related lipids) may provide selective pressure to maintain vanilloid sensitivity among mammals.”

Mammals may be a target of hot pepper “heat”. So don’t waste perfectly good hot sauce.

I would worry more about what your cat might do to the snake, depending on the predatory inclinations your cat might have. Racers are harmless. I intentionally came face to face with one that was hanging out in a tree as it stared at me while flicking its tongue. They might avoid you, but can be ornery if cornered. I wouldn’t worry about a black racer.

@MizJ We have several black racers around our homestead. They can surprise you at the most inopportune times but they are a (and I can't believe I am saying this) good snake and eat rodents as well as other things. they are quite good to have around except for the occasional semi heart attack when you come across them in some weird place( like eye level in a bush). It looks like you are in for a long haul with getting your house repaired as any construction company in and around Florida are now booked up for months to come. Also keep your eyes open for scammers as now is the time they show up in droves asking for money up front then disappearing into the mist to strike their next victim

@Scott321 @joeandbarb Racers are semi-aggressive, they don't avoid or flee from humans. As you said it just stared at you. If you are walking they don't react, if you run towards them they generally flee. I just want it relocated, not killed.

The priority is mold remediation. I can live without flooring and a bedroom ceiling for a while. Concrete floors are in fashion!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:692691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.