Agnostic.com

10 1

What do you think about this quote?

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Robert A Heinlein.

[brainyquote.com]

• 11 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 3 votes
Lancer 7 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

your not free

The thing is that there are certain rules we all must abide by for society to work, and believe me you want society to work. Then there are rules and laws that are arbitrary and authoritarian, and these must be completely disregarded for a person to be free.

I know that there are certain rules that we all have to abide by, but sometimes some of the most heartwarming memories we have were made when we weren't exactly following the rules. Reading between the lines is good as long as no one is hurt.

Also I agree with your statement. I just wanted to add my thoughts

Was that from Farnam's Freehold?

No. Robert A Heinlein. A science fiction author.

My bad. I've never read that book before.

Either that or Stranger in a Strange Land.

That is the classic existential stance shared by every existential thinker.

ok

I wish you'd used ethically instead of morally as ethics promote the species but morals are imposed by men in silly hats

I didn't write the quote. It was Robert A Heinlein

Ethical and moral are synonyms. Just because you have a personal version to the word moral does not mean that we all should.

I don't have a particular problem with your quote, but it seems to me that it makes everything morally subjective. What I find tolerable, others may not, what I find obnoxious, others many not.My moral responsibility may be different from others, et cetera.

Tomm Level 5 Dec 6, 2017

What is moral and what is not is the same as knowing right from wrong. We can all agree on most things at the personal level.

How I live.
I stay in line with most social norms but sometimes they can be bent or broken.

works for me

skado Level 9 Dec 6, 2017

A strong philosophical case can be made for both sides of the free will/determinism debate, so I'm a fence-sitter on this one.

I feel more like a free spirit than I ever have before in my life .I beat cancer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6929
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.