Agnostic.com

9 6

[getpocket.com]
this is an incredible story of a mother who looks after her son who was paralyzed playing HS football when he was 17. she dedicated her life to looking after him, virtually 24hrs/day, for 34 yrs until his death.
i know we're all agnostics/atheists but i have to seriously wonder if that mother could have persevered all those years if not for her strong catholic faith...

callmedubious 8 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to see this all the time when I was working the inpatient side of things. Mostly it was severely DD patients, but pretty much the same thing. I don't understand it. I assume some time in the future this type of reaction/behavior won't really be an option.

There are many good people who are loving and caring regardless of their faith or lack of it. That the institution of religion harbours loving people does not excuse it for the atrocities it promotes and conceals. Nor should it be used as an explanation for the loving acts that those good people would do regardless of their belief. And, although selfless and altruistic, what is so unusual about a parent who dedicates their life to a disabled child? This is a story we hear everyday from all areas of society.

i have been an atheist since my early teens. i was never force fed religion & my parents were not churchgoers. consequently religion made no sense to me & i simply disregarded it.
however, i can understand why some ppl who were indoctrinated into religion at an early age can become dependent on it & can't live without it.
i think that describes the mother. her life was shit but would have been even worse without religion. maybe it can be compared to ppl who buy lottery tickets. they know their chances are infinitesimal but if they have a ticket at least they can dream about all the incredible positive changes that a win would bring (albeit maybe just temporarily).

You are 100% correct on the lottery. I don't buy a ticket now and then because I think I'm going to win, I buy it as a license to daydream. And when you have a brain that regularly defaults to thinking about suicide when its idle, $2 is a small price to pay to make it think about literally anything else.

@ChestRockfield , right, i bot another $7. worth on the way home from the GC today. i waste around $20. a week on them. but i don't do any other gambling.
i buy lottery tickets even though i don't completely disagree with a former Italian Finance Minister who said that lotteries are a tax on the stupid.

@callmedubious I always heard it's a tax on people who are bad at math. 😝
But there's a flip side to that coin... somebody is going to win. And I'm sure those people who have wouldn't think what they did was stupid.
I'll buy a couple when I go out to vote today. I'll let you know if I win.

@callmedubious
Thanks for the first smile of the morning! The lottery is just like religion. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, it doesn't.

Do you need to explain her actions?

You may still have a remnant of Catholic faith and you are projecting it on her.

I wonder that anyone can still believe in the hocus pocus Catholic scam in 2022. How many little kids do they have to rape and kill? How much poisonous propaganda about women and birth control do they have to spew?

The pope lives in a palace filled with priceless treasures, dresses in designer clothes, and vacations at the papal chalet. Poor people would benefit from all the money and power they have accumulated. Yet idiots like this one have faith in the fakery and the flimflam?

If god was real, why didn’t it heal her son?

I love your post for two reasons. The logic, and the fact that you typed flimflam!

Love for a child has very little to do with religion.

Most parents would do anything for their children, religion doesn't even come into it.

as i said: i just wondered about it.
maybe she could have replaced religion with another drug. but any drugs would have taken a big toll on her health & she probably wouldn't have made it anywhere close to 88.
can you honestly say that you would have persevered in her position?

@callmedubious I can’t say that. Unless I had been in that situation I cannot say.

@callmedubious lol. Most women these days too narcissistic but I noted this happened quite a few years ago.

That must be why most women are screaming about claimed abortion rights being removed by a recent US court case.

@FrayedBear Gosh, where do you get it from that most women are too narcissistic? What happened to you to say so?

@Jolanta I'm told that it's called life experiences & having an extremely sensitive nature that nowadays may be labelled as autism.

@FrayedBear What you got autism?

@Jolanta possibly.

Your link comes up with a 404 error message.

just checked it & it came up OK.

@callmedubious yep, thanks. It's working now. Been having a bad weekend down here with internet & Google. Now seems to have cleared.

That sounded like one hell of a caring parent.

Being cynical, I suggest a glory seeking martyr who has got nothing better to do in her life.

@FrayedBear i doubt if she was seeking glory.
i think that somehow she realized that this existence we endure was pushing her to limits most could never stand. and she made her stand.

@callmedubious I live in an area where sadly there are too many rich old men marrying young Filipina or desperate wives falling pregnant too late in life to retain failing marriage resulting in downs syndrome offspring. When the husband dies many of the wives desperately cling to the child as a purpose in life.

@FrayedBear , that's sad. we have quite a few filipina girls marrying old guys in canada as well.
in fact one of the ladies my wife used to golf with is filipina. she outlived one of the old guys here & moved about 60 miles south to marry another. no kids though.

@callmedubious re Filipina marriages - I call it prostitution when feeling charitable, poverty induced voluntary slavery & Catholic religion indoctrination when feeling uncharitable. Many Filipinas are taught from experience that parenting is passing the responsibility down the line to each child to look after the next one starting with the eldest.
My last friend was cuckolded by a Filipina who claimed that she couldn't physically have children. She dropped a girl in his lap 7 months later, divorced him 17 years later when he had his superannuation stolen from him by American fraudsters working a ponzi scheme out of Queensland Australia with government support\ cover up. She then took off to Canada where she had already lined up a retiring engineer about to pick up $300k superannuation. . . whores.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:692979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.