Agnostic.com

60 19

What makes you leery about someone?

Are there certain things about people that get your antenna up-
whether it's a certain profession, personality trait, mannerism?

What can make you skeptical, leery, or on edge about another person?

I once worked with a lady, whom I did actually like. But, I had a hard time trusting her. She was "sweet" and "fun"... she loved just about every new person she met. They were like her best friend. She talked so good about them. Seems admirable to just love other people like that, right?

That overt love for new strangers made me wonder about her sincerity. After getting to know her over the years, she let slip a few times how she was good at "buttering people up" and "laying it on thick."

I've always been leery of overt optimism or over "sugary" speech.

Is there anything that puts you on guard about people?

silvereyes 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When they're their own favorite subject. I mean, I guess that's just being egotistic, but I just know people like that are only concerned about themselves and everyone else is just a means to their own benefit.

Also, when people are eager and forthcoming about talking about others behind their backs. Like you just barely meet them and right off the bat they're gossiping to you about someone you both sort of know. It makes you wonder if they badmouth you in the same way.

Yes if their speech pattern resembles some one very open and overly confident then I would assume they would of had a lot of practice manipulating people in their favor. I question everything even my friends in any situation I don't want my trust and kindness to be a weakness that allows people to possess my ideals

If I can't see someone's eyes through their hair, or because their head is turned.

Someone who is too friendly, too quick.

I'm not sure I can pin it down. I meet everyone new with a kind of open trust until something causes the hackles to rise, but I can't say what things do that. I know I'm sensitive to body language, particularly facial expressions and eye movement. I also have a sense of when someone is not being too friendly with the truth, but there are so many different little things that I can't just say it is this or that.

I might be too trusting. I feel if I'm doing the right thing I have nothing to worry about. I'm also a perceptive and intuitive person. I can usually spot a deception a mile away.. When I meet a new person I tend to observe their actions and give them enough rope to hang themselves. I don't know if this answers the question fully, I just see red flags really quick.

I don't look for things. I just observe. I don't believe in miracles and yes people do look for them and find them. I don't look for fault, or perfection in a person. I do study their behaviors though. @jwm03h

@jwm03h
I understand what you are saying. It's hard to explain. I observe yes, and in most cases people don't have any red flags. I do look at behaviors, I am a very intuitive and perceptive person, I can feel and scene these red flags. When I "observe" people this is what I mean. I'm really not looking but. sensing. I feel if a person is genuine or not. I hope this clarify's it a little better. Look for one of my post intuitive and perceptive. It might give you more incite on me.

Trash mouth... some things are silly and acceptable. Trash mouth people say dirty things and sometimes sit back to see if you'll run with it. I've seen it before.

do not trust people who beat around the bush when you ask them something

junkies. gamblers. people that treat restaurant staff shitty. conversational one uppers. passive aggressive folk.

Bad tippers who act superior and talk down to wait staff are also on my reject list.

Gut level feeling. I trust it as is mostly right. Something just doesn't feel right about that person.

When the president of the company tells the employees that shit does not roll down hill.

When I join a web community and within 2 hours a gorgeous 35 year old woman wants to send me her text ing number. I'm 54. She's a scammer!!!

when they cover there face with there hair i get creeped

Bahahahahahahaha

jealous people

I question someone's motives if it sounds too good to be true. If they talk about other people makes me wonder what they say when I am not around. Con artists can be tricky, if they are really good at duping people, it's just a matter of time when they get caught up in their own lies.

When they're going down Aisle 5 at Wal Mart acting like this:

Yes, supposedly that person is on the drug called "flakka." Something we don't want to mess with, obviously...

Yeah- be advised that people are getting "high" on some really dangerous shit, making them behave in bizarre ways. Be alert and aware when you're out in public.

Body language. Someone to relaxed in a tense situation. Voice patterns if some is telling a story and it seem rehearsed usually means they practiced because they did not want mistakes hence in most cases, they do this to try and hide a lie. Repeating a story with out embellishing is a cue to being deceitful. Watch how they walk heavy steps is this person
lazy? Watch their eyes right brain left brain rule right brain eyes go left therefore creating means that most likely not truthful. Look for color changes in their skin it is stressful to lie causes color changes in the nose ears cheeks.Are they moving their hands to talk this usually means they are relaxed and are comfortable about the topic they are being truthful.

I do I am the exception not the rule.

Liars
Introverts... They stare and talk about people behind their backs.
"people watchers" or gossips for short.
Negative people
People who complain about things they have no desire to work at improving
The word leery brings "strangers" to mind... I'm a little leery of all strangers
And men that enjoy the company of children more than adults...
Does that last one make me sexist if I'm a male?

Liars always put me on edge, and I tend to be leery when someone is too nice and full of compliments when they barely know me.

ags2 Level 5 Feb 7, 2018

Can't stand lying. My parents both could do it on a dime, even with the evidence of their attempted deception right in front of them. Me and my sister are terrible at lying, hated having it done to use, so we don't bother. Got out of religion because I was seeking truth, and felt the god claims all depended on manipulation (only later realizing it wasn't really lying if someone believed it despite the evidence to the contrary).

Ugh, that sucks. My default setting up until the past few years has been overly mooshy/gushy & have to watch it but have never had intent to "butter someone up", that's despicable. My filter is just wonky, working on that. Have been burned awful in the past with my naivete hence my very small circle IRL. So just know not everyone who's "squishy" has intent.

uhm, what sets me off? I would never be friends with or trust someone who is rude for sport, without merit to people in positions of service while they're on the job. That seems to be a past time for some in this part of the country having witnessed it too many times. It's no wonder service up here sucks so bad.

can not stand people put on a frount so you will like them then they show there true colors

In the 70's college days really liked this dame, she even did shampoo commercial on TV. Potential was there, In a party got her high... her laugh freak me out... I said Freaked Me Out. Got her off the list. Her Eyes got Larger and that Evil Witchie Laugh!!!!

@silvereyes yep everybody but me could laugh that night. I can laugh now.

I'm leery of nosey people. Like, at work, people would ask me about my family and try to get me to tell them the inner workings of my home life. I'm very private and selective with whom I let in when it comes to coworkers. They don't know a damn thing about my life unless I intend for them to know. It's probably because of anxiety because I'm wondering why they want to know about this and what will they do with this information. A bit of paranoia...I just get weirded out with questions like, "So, what is __ like?" or "What happens when you do this with _____?" stuff like that. I'm like, "uh...hmm..." and just come up with the most normalized response ever. Lol!

I stay away from people who judge, gossip about, or betrays the confidence of people they care about. And how do they behave when life gets hard or shit hits the fan. That tells me a lot about what kind of person they are.

Whenever Trump is on a video on television or the internet my guard immediately goes up. I find him difficult to listen to as I don't find his voice appealing because the shit he spews through his lips gets me riled up, and watching him talk with his lips poking out like they do make me queasy. His body language makes me leery as well.

SamL Level 7 Dec 7, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.