Agnostic.com

15 3

How Many of Us Are into Self-Sufficient Lifestyles

Are there any homesteaders, off-gridders, urban homesteaders, preppers, tiny home dwellers, minimalists or just simply anti-consumers amongst us?

• 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 23 votes
NotConvinced 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have 4 acres here in southern Wisconsin. 1/2 acre is for me, the house & the livestock. Dogs, cats, chickens, guinea pigs & a parrot. The rest of the property is being restored. The micro ecosystem has oak savannah where I am restoring woodland flowers by removing invasive species such as euro buckthorn & garlic mustard. 2 acres of prairie restoration. A wetland area with a pond on the Des Plaines river water shed. The property is mainly for the wildlife & a rest stop for migrating birds, a priority. I live to aid them in their passage.
5 years ago I bought 35 acres of pinion & Gambel's oak, with a heart stopping view of Mesa Verde. I live there off the grid in the summer, removing invasives there as well. This too is reserved for the wildlife.

I used to live in communes in England and Scotland -We had seven acres of land and it fed us but didn't keep us very warm sometimes we were so wrapped up with wooly clothes hats scarves and parkas that you couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman I guess I was off the grid for a while then moved to Lancashire. and we had a run down mill to renovate and land. I find its nice doing it with a group as you can always call in an extra hand . I don't know if I am off the grid now but living in sheltered accommodation.

I live in 2 caravans in a small disused quarry..solar power and gas for hot water and cooking-stream water-as peaceful as you can get on this noisy little planet . I love it..will be building log cabin eventually but not rushing-want to get it right first time.

I have only one caravan (mobile home) but it has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. It's on a half acre lot in a small community of 1200 with small towns all around.

That sounds great. I seriously envy you. But will you manage to get permission to put up your log cabin? It is really hard to get permission in Devon. I looked at an existing log cabin in 6 acres of woodland but was told I couldn't live there on a permanent basis, only for holidays.

@CeliaVL depends on who is overlooking where you are -no-one is where I am,luckily -or no-one that is bothered -general rule is to live in caravan for 2-5 years so temporary dwelling-then quietly build more permanent structure...try and document how youve been there..then after so many years you have validity to stay..

Turned the house and 1/3 acre over to the kids to raise their 3....me? I'm living high, in a 30 foot RV and loving it...staying on my property we split the light bill, they pay their as bill, as I use propane, and I pay the water...sooo works perfect...

After many relationship dramas over many years, I am back on surburbia, smallest yard I have ever owned except for units. About 1/5 of an acre, then lose space for a house and pool and not much left. We use 160 litres of town water per day rest is either rain water or underground, we export about 25-35kwh to the grid daily from our solar, grow catch or barter over 80% of our food. Chickens, aquaponics, water gardens, vines, tubers, trees, and a jumbled jungle of edible foods. Sadly, often feel the lack of land.

We technically live in tiny house, but it certainly doesn't feel like the ones you normally see. We are more off-set our consumption people than off the grid people.

No, “none of the above” eh?

I’m a minimalist but I am not against consumption.

I have solar, live on a island, have a rain harvesting system and septic (gravity) and do gardening as much as I can. I am a handy person and make my own repairs including plumbing and electrical. I have a workshop and build lots of things. The problem with being self-sufficient is one has to rely on them-self day and night (like when rats get into the crawl space at 3 AM), rain or shine, young or old, sick or well.

as per above, really impressed.

I have chickens and ducks I’m planting a food forest. Plan on doing some solar. I only have 2 acres so can’t really be completely self sufficient but I’m trying to get as close as I can.

you are doing very well, 2 acres is great really. I have never managed total self sufficiency, I think it more an ideal. However, if everything went to hell in a hand basket, you would be amazed how well you are set up.

It's something I aspired to until my back went out. I'm not able to do much heavy lifting anymore.

I live in a small rv. I try to use mostly solar power and propane, but am hooked up to electric. My goal is to be off grid, solar and wind dependent. I’ve been researching for a year now, and hope to start making my way to my goal.

Minimalist, environmentalist, working toward nomadic, pretty off grid lifestyle. I’d by happy to never see pavement again if I can make it happen.

Anti-capitalist, not necessarily anti-consumer. But anti-consumer-culture, for sure.

Minimalist.
Die broke leaving nothing.
Barring accident I'll plan my exit at my choosing.

Have you read "Final Exit?"

No.
It's something that stuck with me from legal studies.

The off-grid lifestyle is my ultimate goal. Earthbag home, solar power, well water, micro farm. I want to be as far removed from a civilization I disagree with as much as I can. I have plans for the home made out and just to build a fairly large 4 bedroom earthbag home with an attached greenhouse runs between 5-7k. Not bad i think. But this does not include the solar system and electric lines, the well and the drilling. I'm looking at somewhere between 10-20 acres. Should be enough for a bit of privacy, a rotating crop, and a bit of livestock.
Wish me luck.

I wish I could build an Earth Ship

$10-$20k for well, $10-$30k for a good solar and/or wind system for that size house, $1-5k for a septic. $50-$200k for land.

You want to live by yourself or with others?

Right now, it's just me. So I would guess that I would be living by myself. Funny enough, I grew up on a rainbow commune in central ga. I wouldn't mind a group of like minded people involved, residing on the land, or even "weekenders". But that would take a minimum of 100 acres. That is out of my budget. But, it's a fun thought.

@Annaleda $ 1 - 5 K for a septic? I was quoted $10K just for a fiberglass tank. Where do you live?

@JackPedigo Oregon

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.