Agnostic.com

28 5

What's the best fiction novel that you've recently read?

What novel could you not stop reading and kept you up all night? With characters that stuck with you long after you've put down the book?
Try not to give out spoilers.

VampFatale 4 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Stand by Stephen King. I have read it several times, along with everything he writes. The Stand is my favorite though.
The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. ( they are a mixture of detective and horror, but remind, me of H. P. Hovercraft. ) great books. Very dark.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig.

"H. P. Hovercraft" you have to love spellcheck sometimes 🙂

King amazes me in the way he manages to be so derivative in such an original way, Loved Secret Garden, Secret Window, and "The man who would not shake hands" is one of the best short gothic stories ever.

@LenHazell53 hahaha. I didn't catch that.

Ender's Game is the first book that comes to mind if you haven't already read it. Phenomenal book.

The Pendergast series co-authored by Preston & Child if you want multiple books that fit the bill. A couple of my favorites being "The Cabinet of Curiosities" and "Still Life With Crows".
The term "series" is used loosely for these. There is a time line among the books but not every story is completely related. Having said that though, some of the best writing, characters, and just storytelling I've ever encountered.

I agree, the Pendergast stories are great. I started with Relic but I have not read all of the books yet. Still on my "to read" list. I remember one book contained a description of Pedergast, which when I read it, I could visualize what he would look like. I have tried to remember which book it was in as I thought a caricature sculpture of him would be cool to make.

If that would include horror fiction, then I would say Stephen King's IT.

Probably Catcher in the Rye. I just recently reread it.

Don Quixote! Finished it last night at 4am. Was on my bucket list and throughly enjoyed. Laughed my ass off a great many times

Proto Level 6 Apr 29, 2018

I really enjoyed Amercan Gods.

How much time have you got?

Hmm, am reading one of the Eric Flint 1632 series right now: 1636 The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbelflotz. I would recommend starting with 1632, which is an amazing read.

Just finished reading 1635: The Wars of the Rhein (if I recall the title correctly)
Also just finished Scourged, the ninth, and technically last, of the Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne, a fantastic read!

So many more and some non-fiction too such as a biography of Winston Churchill which chronicled his early years in the Boar Wars.

I have tons more to talk about but, will leave it here for now. 🙂

Noir by Chistopher Moore

It's on my to get list, good I take it?

Pretty good. I inhaled it over the weekend.

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. I've read it multi times

I would say two, The Great and Secret Show and Everville by Clive Barker.

MarkF Level 5 Apr 29, 2018

"Pandemic" and "Genome" by A.G. Riddle:

[amazon.com]

Zster Level 8 Apr 29, 2018

I havn't read one recently but since I have never read the bible, I am seriously considering it.

Good luck with that because it's not a very well written book especially for non-believers to try to get through.

I have read the entire thing cover to end twice. It is great when religious people try to quote it at me and I know more of what it says than they do. That alone makes reading it worth it.

Spoiler "He dies in the end!"

Just finished Christopher Moore's newest, Noir, this afternoon

Good?

@buzz13 Really enjoyed it. Probably not my favorite Christopher Moore book, but I still highly recommend it.

@RottenArsenal Thanks

Doctor Sleep. I'm behind on my reading ?

if you count the books I've read 50 or more times, Robert Heinlein's methusela's children series. If you are talking about ones that I've only read once.....Orson Scott Cards women of Genisis series

Marathon Man, William Goldman. If you haven't seen the (old) movie already, there are some serious twists, if you're into that kind of thing.

I'll admit to the guilty pleasure of being a big fan of Graham Masterton.
His books range from appalling "did it for the money" written in a week horrors to works of near genius.
If you have never read him, I suggest starting with IKON an extra ordinary thriller that begins with the assassination of Marilyn Munro in 1986 and proceeds to play a game of cat and mouse with late twentieth century history that will have you hooked till the last page.

The Hell Candidate has turned out to be frighteningly prophetic, set in the late seventies it follows the progress of a billionaire who sells his soul to Satan in exchange for the presidency of the USA.

His "Night Warriors" series mixes Occult powers and psychology (not to mention body shock horror) in a way practically unknown since HP Lovecraft.

Red Shirts by John Scalzi.

Currently reading the "Rain Wild Chronicles" by Robin Hobb, just finished book 2 last night, 2 more to go. Very good.

Currently reading the "Rain Wild Chronicles" by Robin Hobb, just finished book 2 last night, 2 more to go. Very good.

Of course I love the classic Lord if the Rings. Which I reread every year. But my favorite newish series is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The right mix of story, characters, drama, action, and comedy.

Just finished reading "Sleeping Beauties" by Stephen and Owen King. Long book, 623 pages. I enjoyed it. Although he collaborated with his son on writing this book, it definitely has the feel of a Stephen King book. I collect and read S. King's books. Have read everything except his Dark Tower series. I started it years ago and didn't get into it but it is now on my "to read" list.

The Immortality Contract by Scott Burdick was the last novel I read and that was last year, so I think I'll read it again because I remember I enjoyed reading it. I do read more nonfiction.

Shantaram, by Gregory D Roberts. Fictionalized reality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.