Agnostic.com

23 11

Isn’t it a shame a non-religious person have to keep their sanity secret?

I was just thinking about this. It seems like we live in a world where lots of people are infected with a virus and people like us are at war to keep the infected people’s poison out of our lives and stay healthy/sane.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On a person to person basis, I feel that being open about atheism is the best medicine. The more we put a face to it, the less scary it seems to believers. It's hard to demonize all atheists when you think of your goofy friend Scott who happens to be an atheist.

For legislators, we have to stay alert and take actions to combat the religious policies that keep getting pushed. Look at what just happened with the US embassy move to Jerusalem; that was done strictly for the evangelicals.

You are absolutely correct. I feel like I'm living in a twilight zone. I have a religious relative who is constantly putting down science because it doesn't go along with her bible stories. A few years ago she had cancer, so naturally she went to scientifically trained doctors. They got rid of the cancer, and she went around for a year thanking God!
How crazy can you get? She knows prayer doesn't work, or she would have stayed home praying for a cure, but when the doctors heal her, who does she thank?
This is only one instance, but I'm surrounded by this kind of thinking constantly.

Ugh!!!!! That absolutely drive me crazy! Totally disrespectful to the hard working people who went to school for years to help save life’s. I wish there was a way I could pay all respect to these hard working people.

@emeraldjewel regarding doctors: to the believers obviously god has enabled physicians with the treatments

Here is some sane news, the non belivers is the fastest growing group in the world.

It is the 21st Century! It is about time that at least a 'few' people figured that out. LOL

bloody good job

Yes!!!

Religion is an insidious genetic disease.
Once it gets a foothold, it is very difficult to cure.

Let people know your thoughts. The more people that do it, the more it will be acceptable.

Not only acceptable but, also, ir will help others to take the same steps; you would be surprised how many times I hear "Me too." when I say that I am an Atheist.

I will keep that in mind.

It is. I don't care what others think, but I avoid the topic as much as I can.

Eh, religion is just a way of creating a cohesive unit. A way to create belonging. It is sad when people get all 'stepford wives' about their religion. ONE OF US! ONE OF US! But one of the unfortunate needs of most groups is the 'strength in numbers' and 'conversion = validation'. The virus is our need to belong. How we get along to belong can go totally wrong. See what I did there?

Who lie to you? I tell the world I am an Atheist....and I thank those who reject me for being one; they save me the job of telling them off.....which I do whenever the needs presents itself.

I don't but I don't go around forcing it down peoples throats.

Welcome to a higher plane of living ~ I’ve long envisioned myself, as an atheist, living among far fewer people because of it. I’m always leaning over the edge calling down to those below and offering a hand up … but most appear oblivious to my presence...

Seems the best we can do is find our own and improve ourselves, our ability to appreciate what we’ve opened ourselves up to. Perhaps that’s the price of admittance? We’re the humans who’ve evolved to the next level of understanding, and may have to leave the others behind as we move ahead ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

yes I agree with the emphasis on making ourselves the best we can be and objectively answer inquiry. People will come to their own conclusions at their own rate.By being a good example they may become curious.

I think that if more people simply admitted to agnosticism, atheism or just having doubts, rather than remaining silent just to keep the peace, it would make for an overall better world.

I wish more of the non religious would stand up for what is right.

Thank good ness for this site....
I almost said thank God! Lol

Ha ha ha!!! It happens.

I too sometimes make mistakes with those Freudian slips- thank god. LOL

This is what is sad. The people fleeing from Europe were leaving because they wanted religious freedom. So our forefathers made this document giving everyone religious freedom. However there is no provisions for people that opt not to have a religion.

Yes.... kinda Crazy.

I'm sure they see us the same way but unlike them we aren't trying to possess them so they think they're winning.

i feel like for the most part atheism is pretty accepted

Coincidentally, the religious likely believe a book that tells them to keep their faith to themselves.

I avoid talking about religions with almost everyone, I only talk about it with people that I am 100% sure they think like me. Unfortunately that's the world we live in.

Alexa Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

People have paid many prices to fight for what is right. Women are now standing up against people like Harvey W. Matt L. and others. It was risky for them to do so. I say be brave and pay the price like. Be a Rosa Parks!!

Religion is a endemic and it needs to be eradicated.

Nope....is a pandemia.

I've never thought about it like that, but yes I have to agree with you.

Lol I think I have a funny way of thinking. Strange even.

I don't think that's strange at all. I think that just means you're a "thinker," period. Which is definitely a good thing!

Jewel, I still don't know how some of this site works. I wanted to comment on your other posting- and I am at the top again.

I try to stay off social media as much as possible- being on Agnostics is about the only acceptation. Anything I, or you, anybody, puts on Facebook is on 'forever'- and expect trouble! There are lots of wound-up loonies in the this great weir world!

"Keep their sanity a secret"! Never thought of the subject that way before- but yes, that's what it is all about. But there are other subjects, other than religion, that a person does not want to show their sanity about either.

Religion is just many peoples luck horse shoe. They think it will bring them good luck while alive and after death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.