Agnostic.com

3 12

LINK Report: Montreal priest stymied investigations into sexual abuse

The child sexual abuse scandal in the Archdiocese of Montreal has somehow gone from bad to worse without any change in the number of victims because a priest has been creating obstacles for the people policing the Catholic Church.

A new report obtained by CBC News found that the lawyer tasked with helping the Catholic Church in Montreal be more transparent when it comes to abuse allegations has discovered that Church leaders were sabotaging her efforts. ...

snytiger6 9 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No surprise there.

They always protect their own. It is a well know fact that pedophiles seek out target rich environments and with a history of protecting their priests, it is not surprising that religions would be an environment they feel comfortable in.

Any adult that targets a child to physically, emotionally, psychologically, and/or sexually should be punished severely. (I'll be kind and not say what I would like to see done to them. I'll leave it up to the imagination.)

Betty Level 8 Dec 13, 2022

Protecting their own should be grounds to bankrupt and shut down the church, any church. Statistically, the RCs had no more pedophiles than the average public. Their most horrendous crime was not immediately expelling and having their priests arrested. Not doing so caused more harm to young people as the perpetrators felt secure and able to continue doing harm. An evil and corrupt organization akin to the mob.

@Beowulfsfriend I totally agree. They didn't care about the damage to the children, just about covering up a potential scandal. It is still going on and I am ashamed of our government that they knowingly allow it to continue by not penalizing the whole organization and forcing restitution.

@Betty This is why I laugh every time I see comments about how nice Canada is over us. My take away is that humans suck everywhere.

@rainmanjr There are good people in this world and there are users and abusers as well as opportunists. Doesn't matter what part of the world, people are people, some nice and some not so much.

@Betty Even the well intentioned do things which carry an opposite reaction, ALWAYS, and therefore conflict and tension are born with every action. Therefore, humans run around trying to fix the problems we generate. Humans are an animal, like every other, and self-survival is the vast normality in nature. We don't really know how nice anyone else is and even those who are thought to be nice have regrets about their intentions at times. I repeat, humans suck. We can't help it. Zen.

@rainmanjr Ah, but the nice ones keep trying and that makes it worth while.

@Betty Sure. If that helps then go with it.

Isn't this what they always do? Protect their own? At least they are consistent. 🤮

Like police.

It's what everyone does (truth be told).

@rainmanjr Yes and no. If my child was psycho killer I would want him/her locked up.

@Flyingsaucesir Most of us think we would, also, but actually calling the cops and reporting him might not be in you. One doesn't know what they'll do until the situation happens. Until then it's all speculation from a mighty flawed animal.

@Flyingsaucesir I'd even add to that by saying it doesn't matter what you'd do because turning him/her in says nothing about other things one does, or attitudes one holds, which create problems. So great on this count. Not so great on the others.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:700096
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.