Agnostic.com

3 2

Ohio teacher told principal using students' preferred pronouns violated her religion. She was forced to resign, lawsuit says
The Alliance Defending Freedom said the teacher, Vivian Geraghty, should not have been put in a position to choose “between her faith and her job.”

[nbcnews.com]

xenoview 8 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If your job is not compatible with your faith, choose another job. "This job won't allow me to be an ignorant hateful bigot" isn't a violation of your religious freedom. You're perfectly free to find a job that doesn't care if you're a hateful bigot.

The teacher's faith couldn't possibly be relevant to a child's gender identity as the Bible has no such pronouncements. She was motivated by anti-LBGTQ hate. Now if she had objected on the basis of biological science, insisting on pronouns appropriate to the child's actual genetics, she'd be on much stronger ground.

Children will always search out an angle to express insubordination. Allowing children to dictate social norms of behavior is ridiculous. If they don't like their correct and accurate pronoun, they can take their book and study it in detention. Claims of sexual dysphoria can be respected without them being encouraged or facilitated.

I'm on the side of the teacher on this one and religion has nothing to do with my view. When kids want to be identified by their preferred pronoun and that means a new name that is related to their chosen gender this might be a bit too much. I see a girl changing names cause she identifies as a boy, and vice versa, but some of these preferred pronouns are a real doozy. I do have a problem with this though because I do not see it as the teacher having to choose "between her faith and her job." If that is her view then maybe she should not be a teacher in the first place.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:700766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.