Agnostic.com

8 32

LINK Judge orders "The Church at (protested in front of) Planned Parenthood" to pay $110,000 in damages

A judge in Spokane County, Washington ruled on Friday that “The Church at Planned Parenthood” (TCAPP) violated the law when it blocked patient care outside a clinic, and the Christian group will now have to pay $110,000 in damages to the abortion providers.

So that plan backfired on the right-wing extremists.

For years now, members of Covenant Church in Spokane protested outside Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho. While protests are legal, this one was intended to block people from using the clinic’s services through intimidation. They used speakers to loudly denounce abortion even though state law prohibits excessive noise and intrusion at health care facilities. They got right up outside the doors of the clinic.

This wasn’t a constitutionally protected form of debating ideological differences; this was harassment, plain and simple.

In September of 2020, Spokane Superior Court Judge Raymond Clary put a temporary stop to it. His preliminary injunction required TCAPP to stand at least 35 feet from the building and begin their “gatherings” at least an hour after 6:00 p.m. when the clinic stopped accepting new patients for the day. Clary added that TCAPP couldn’t block the entrance, trespass on the clinic’s property, or “unreasonably [disturb] the peace” with their noise.

snytiger6 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The trouble with such vicious assholes is that they steadfastly refuse to accept that they might be in the wrong.

Not nearly enough.

ANd that county is one of the conservative parts of the state. Imagine if it had been in King County (Seattle)?

@Vickichase583 YES I do mind.

Should have been $110,000,000. That would have served better justice.

The church wasn't fined enough. Double the amount would be a good starting point. If it sinks the church, no one would care.

I think it's time to picket churches.

"Mind your own business", and
"Pay taxes on your income and assets",
would be on some of the signs.

Puttin’ em outta business would really be ideal.

I agree with KK on this one. Picket the churches and use her ideas for the signs you picket with. Do this in general but step it up every time churches picket any of us for anything.

I do love the way you think. We are in complete agreement. 🙂

The small minded fools got what they deserved. I hope the church goes broke paying that fine.

They will probably just not pay. Like their cult leader dumpety.

I'm sure they will appeal.

And what is insane is that Planned Parenthood provides many more vital services than just abortions.

They don't care. They don't want anyone having any kind of healthcare.

@KKGator They are just evil. And they also want to deny food and shelter to poor families and gut education.
And put brown refugee children in cages.

Pro-Life my blindingly white ass.

@BufftonBeotch Yep. You nailed it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:700886
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.