Agnostic.com

59 3

What is the main reason why you are not religious?

I am sure we all have more than one reason, but what is the main one for you?

Alexa 5 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Believing in a god, any of the thousands of gods, is nothing if not based on fear of death. Primitive man/woman invented various gods to help them cope with death and adversity. It became someone else's fault, not theirs. "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary".--Einstein

the ONLY reason i am not religious is that i believe that there are no gods.

g

The same reason l don't believe in Santa Claus.

Truths don't obey borders, religion does. If Einstein could, almost by himself, think up accurate laws for the universe. How come humanity as a collective can't do the same with any god/deity? It doesn't hurt my father was raised atheist and my mom was agnostic (but is now born again Christian)

I value honesty and Truth.

That's hard to say, it was so long ago that I quit seeing truth or value in religion. I know part of it was Christian/Catholic religion's views at the time on gays, feminism, abortion as well as euthanasia and the glorification of suffering for the sake of eternal reward or improvement of one's character. In the face of those things, it just didn't hold up the way it used to for me. This was in the early 80s. Maybe seeing the rise of the religious right and the Moral Majority along with TV preachers added to my distrust and cynicism.

I also saw too much phoniness and hypocrisy at the personal/individual level among believers, but that was just young idealism and being naive because when I got older and started attending Unitarian churches I saw just as much of that. Now I know that's just how many or most humans are, believers or not.

When In church I noticed they were promoting things that did not agree with reality as truth. I figured the entire religion thing was BS. That and the fact that there is no testable evidence to confirm any supernatural assertion such as there is a god.

I have read lots of storys but the bible is not my fav as it makes little sence in the real world .?x

If I had any religion it would be nature. I go out into nature every chance I get. It is unbeatable when compared to ANY organized religion I've ever seen. John Muir said; "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." He was right ... at least in my humble opinion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7019
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.