Agnostic.com

8 12

LINK Diabetes rates may surge in US young people, study finds

By: Katherine Dillinger, CNN

The number of people under age 20 with type 2 diabetes in the U.S. may increase nearly 675% by 2060 if trends continue, researchers say, with an increase of up to 65% in young people with type 1 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes — in which the pancreas makes little or no insulin — is more common in young people in the U.S., but type 2 — in which the body doesn't use insulin the way it should — has "substantially increased" in this age group over the past two decades, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new study, published this month in the American Diabetes Association journal Diabetes Care, used data from the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study, which is funded by the CDC and the National Institutes of Health.

The researchers found that if incidence rates from 2017 were to remain unchanged over the next decades, the number of young people with either type of diabetes would rise 12% from 213,000 to 239,000. However, if the incidence continues to rise as quickly as it did between 2002 and 2017, as many as 526,000 young people may have diabetes by 2060.

The researchers say young people who are Black, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander and Native American/Alaska Native are likely to have a higher burden of type 2 diabetes than white people.

The marked increase in expected type 2 diabetes rates could have several causes, including rising rates of childhood obesity and the presence of diabetes in people of childbearing age, the CDC says.

People with diabetes are at risk of complications including nerve damage, vision and hearing problems, kidney disease, heart disease and premature death. The disease may worsen more quickly in young people than in adults, requiring earlier medical care, the researchers note. This in turn could increase demand on U.S. health care systems and result in rising health care costs.

"This new research should serve as a wake-up call for all of us. It's vital that we focus our efforts to ensure all Americans, especially our young people, are the healthiest they can be," Dr. Debra Houry, acting principal deputy director of the CDC, said in a statement.

Christopher Holliday, director of the agency's Division of Diabetes Translation, called the findings "alarming."

"This study's startling projections of type 2 diabetes increases show why it is crucial to advance health equity and reduce the widespread disparities that already take a toll on people's health," he said in a statement.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was hypoglycemic most of my life, meaning low blood sugar. I resisted getting my blood tested for years as I knew the pharmaceutical industry was playing with numbers so they could sell more drugs. When I was 60 I allowed my doctor to do a blood test. I was borderline diabetic and they wanted to put me on statins. I agreed to the statins. The first two prescriptions I noticed nothing but I switched to a new care provider who had their own pharmacy and I renewed my statin prescription there. It was my third bottle. The drug was the same but the mfr changed. Within a week I was severely dehydrated and drinking 3-4 glasses of water a hour. Peeing all the time too. I told the doctor something is wrong with this prescription. She said it's just the mystery of diabetes. I stopped taking those statins from that third refill and the thirst went away but the high a1c has plagued me ever since. I place full blame on my diabetes on Big Pharma and statins. I also believe that third prescription refill was formulated wrong. Big pharma is an industry that is self fulfilling. They lower the numbers ranges on diabetes and cholesterol, so they can sell more drugs and then the side effects of the prescribed treatments cause new ailments to prescribe new drugs for. It's that corrupt.

Big Pharma is by far the most evil and corrupt industry in the world. Big Oil, All the major food manufacturers as well as the insurance industry aren’t too much less worse.

Big Pharma has the solution……more and more drugs to manage symptoms. That’s about it.

It may. What I do is take my meds and eat and drink what I want. I'm type 2 and right now my main foods are Morrell sausage ( the cheap one) and chicken noodle soup with crackers. Of course, I still have Ramen noodles and eat hamburger well drained. Some bread and occasionally oatmeal. Sometimes a can of veggies.

I forgot to add that I drink apple juice and aloe vera. Sometimes mixed. These are very good while taking my meds. I also stil drink 2 percent milk.

EAT LESS CARBS, duuuuuuuuuuh
Even just 5,000 years ago, it was crabapples once a year, not Honeycrisp year-round...and one huge Honeycrisp can have more sugar than a Snickers bar....Google it!

They don't put apples in vending machines. Those few times I was in my office there are almond M&Ms and chocolate covered almonds in the break room, and more chocolate in the vending machines, and sodas of all kinds, but nary a piece of fruit to be found.

@HippieChick58 I was responsible for the vending supplier at several companies I have worked for and asked them to put in fresh fruit and veg alternatives. They had to stop because they weren’t being purchased and got spoiled so they were losing a ton of money.

@Killtheskyfairy my point is that so-called 'healthy' foods are NOT, the modern apple is as bad for our metabolism as Snickers are!

@AnneWimsey I understand and was just responding to hippiechick comment, not yours.

@HippieChick58 Fruits spoil much faster than candy. that is only one reason why one does not see fruits in vending machines.

@Alienbeing this is definitely true, and they will attract bugs... So that could create quite a mess.

Not only in the US. This is happening almost all over the world.

Due to high sugar intake from food. I have myself to blame for drinking lots of soda when I was younger.

@xenoview Yeah, the things we do when we are younger, even if someone tells us what is likely to happen we don’t believe it is going to happen to us.

Little wonder after all the sugar and carb's they are given to eat. We really should get a grip on ourselves with what children are fed and learn to treat as a traditional food. We won't because the kids are cute and happy when sucking down sugar.

I take metformin twice aday and gluco freeze(herbal) once aday. The gluco freeze reversed me from being a prediabetic. I'm sure I'll be on metformin and gulco freeze for the rest of my life.

I hear berberine is a much more natural form of metformin.

@Mickey Yes it is, but I can afford the metformin every 3 months.

I believe it. My ex husband has Type 2. It was coming for years but he refused to do anything to stop it and called me names for pointing out his risky behavior and morbid obesity. He said I was insulting and body shaming him. He got the Acanthosis nigricans and I told him it was a symptom of diabetes and he said I was ethnocentric because it was just his Italian coloring. The denial was strong even up to him having to inject insulin into himself. I feel like all this acceptance of the severely obese and unhealthy food choices they make is why this is the future.

My granddaughter is very heavy and it’s really too bad because they are setting her up for a lifetime of bad health.

You are correct, I think. It comes out of their indoctrination's to sugary foods. I'm on Metformin and pay much greater attention to my diet. I'd go along with requiring much less sugar/salt in foods.

@rainmanjr Maybe you should try gluco freeze to help you. It's an herbal supplement, it reversed my prediabetic state.

@xenoview I was told of it when first diagnosed but forgot the name. I noted that, though, and thank you for reminding me.

@rainmanjr Nope. I have more of a sweet tooth than him. It was plain inactivity and overeating.

He never had one sandwich, it was always two. His serving sizes were insane. I’d always have to make double normal amount of food for family of five. I’ll never forget the time I made 4 pork chops, a package of Spanish rice and a bag of frozen corn for dinner. It should have fed him, me and our three preschoolers. He took two chops, all the rice and half the corn and screamed that I was trying to starve him. The rest of the family got what he left.

He sat on the couch and ate in front of the tv and didn’t get up until he went to bed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:702852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.