Agnostic.com

31 6

What’s your source for morality?

Personally I think it’s a survival mechanism that helps keep our species alive but that’s just me. I’d like to hear all of your opinions or beliefs!

AbdullaG 4 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Evolution. We are a pack animal. Those with antisocial behaviours were ostracised from the group. Their genes died out. We learned through evolution to cooperate with each other. We learned altruistic behaviour because we needed others to care for us if we were sick or in trouble.

We also learned that if you want to survive, especially during the dark ages and the many years to follow, that if you didn't believe in god your chances were very slim in passing on your genes.

Pretty much just empathy.

My source is my heart.

My mom was my source. When I was little she taught me that some people are nice and some are mean and I get to choose which side I want to be on. With choice comes rewards or consequences. That was my first lesson.

We don't just survive, we strive to thrive.

Betty Level 8 May 1, 2018

Ethics tempered with Empathy

I feel better and life is better when I care and I feel like shit when I hurt people. I don't like to feel like shit so I choose to care.

I try to live by The Golden Rule as best I can...

Empathy, mostly. I don't want bad things to happen to most other folks.

Think ultimately it is the ongoing survival of our species. For example, we all know the planet is being trashed environmentally and this is adversely affecting most species which ultimately include us. In other words, our future is interconnected and interdependant on the other life forms that inhabit this planet. So, if we take the view that survival and care of other life forms is in our best long term interests then it is morally wrong to destroy natural habitat or willfully kill other flora and fauna.

We are born with a natural ability to protect our own kind. Otherwise we would have died out long ago.

I'm with Hippocrates, "First, do no harm", Then it is pretty much the Golden Rule which predates Abrahamic religions.

Well, for me, morality is an individually determined set of rules by which a person lives their life. More simply put, morality is a sense of right and wrong. This, I believe, is unique to human consciousness on this planet. We invented it. Survival mechanism/instincts is a completely different topic, IMO.

My own conscience. That's all I need.

For me it is not whether god exists or does not exist. For me it is the fact that I want to live my life with compassion, non harming, and equanimity and that is how I want to be treated.

Would I want it done to me? No? Don't do it to someone else.

Parents and Grandparents

Yep, you are correct

My momma and my daddy...

N7EIE Level 6 May 1, 2018

That which perpetuates human (and otherwise) flourishing & well being.

My source ? My thinking.

My late partner had a question for her 2nd graders: "What is more important, People or dirt"? Protecting the life support system for all life is the ultimate morality. I understand that but way too many others don't.

The concept of minimum violation of human dignity and well=being. Most of our value decisions are not between absolute right and wrong, but between values -- comparative goods and evils. The choice3 should always be one which violates human dignity and well-being the least..

If your brain works properly then goodness and rightness will prevail over most of your thoughts, in my opinion.

I have ethics I stand by. I made a post that no one saw that was about meta-ethics.

The knowledge that my actions have consequences, not only for me - but for those around me. Coupled with the knowledge that certain generalizations are (mostly) true - that pleasure is preferable to pain, that life is preferable to death... and human flourishing, with these things in mind, is to the betterment of all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70609
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.