Agnostic.com

20 9

What is it with men and spitting in public?

This question was asked before but I don't remember the thread. I also remember it was a woman who asked it. Well now I'm asking. And WTF? I've only ever seen men do this. The whole production of snorting backwards, practicing their Hebrew (you have to be Jewish to find that funny), then expectorating on the sidewalk. Do they think it's cool to be that disgusting?

ScienceBiker 8 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It shows contempt for society. I gave it up when I learned that swallowing is actually a method of self inoculation. Against what I am not privy, but what 'cha got?

Somewhere around the turn of the last century spitting in public was made illegal due to the prevalence of tuberculosis. When the nasty little habit was viewed as a serious HEALTH PROBLEM, that pretty much stopped it......I haven't found anybody who remembers that law now.

Not nearly as bad as throwing cigarette butts on the ground.

Hocking a loogie is pretty damn disgusting. Watching someone chew (as in chewing tobacco) is even more disgusting. Not sure what's worse, spitting a blob of mucous on the ground or collecting your chew spittle in a container. BLECH! And @WonderlandJail, WTF is your trip man? People can post whatever they want. No need for you attack the OP.

Hmmmm... its a common thing in construction to chew tobacco. Even in the plants i worked. They spit in a trash can or cup. On the shop floor will get you in trouble. Cowboys around here spit. Its slowing down a bit. But its still a common thing. its a cultural thing. In public around females...no.

That is so gross. I find that to be a turn-off with men and women. I've stepped in a phelgm puddle before. My old residence, they had a lot expectorators.

What you find uncultured
Others might find simply human

But there is a difference between spitting on the park bench, sidewalk, or gutter

You're hanging out with the wrong dudes.

Send them to Singapore where is very expensive to spit in a public place.

Because it's suffocating and irritating, you need it out, you don't have a tissue handy, it takes only a second, it's inconvenient and impractical to find a restroom a dozen times a day just for that, we don't carry pocketbooks or purses, we are often better in touch with our animal natures, there is such a thing as being overly cultured, and we're not dainty little prissy pants.

I am a man and don't find it pleasant either. Good question though. Wish I could help ... Got nog..

Maybe they have a bad taste in their mouth.

Betty Level 8 May 1, 2018

Maybe they should just brush their teeth.

I wouldn't know, I never spit out in public.

It's longboarding season; my nose runs all the time, anyway--moreso when it's warm out, moreso still when I'm exerting myself. My sinuses drain constantly when boarding (or running), and I frequently spit on the ground, aiming for gutters/margins where none are likely to tread.

It's not cool; it's a biological process, for me--like sweating. I don't care who thinks it's disgusting. Sorrynotsorry.

I have no idea why anyone would do it unless they had to. And if you don't aim off the footpath you're just being asinine.

Knowing you have a problem, could you bring some tissues along with you?

@SANDBERG I do. Always. And I frequently stop to wipe my nose. Still need to spit. Still don't feel bad.

I see women spit in UK. Its beyond gross

I dunno. I see it often but personally don't do it.

Spitters are quitters

Lol. I don't think that's what he was referring to

@Blindbird I know but I'm a terrible person.

@josh23452 fair enough. At least you're in the right place ?

@Blindbird and in good company for sure.

@Stacey48 sounds like I should be buying you a drink.

*quitters

@AtheistInNC whoops..ty

This is such a bizarrely accepted and disgusting habit. What about the opening of car doors when stopped at traffic lights in order for the driver or passenger to spit? Are they all trying to make weight? Ugh.

Helga Level 4 May 1, 2018

i do that when i don't want it to get on my truck or the running boards.

Liked the wrestling reference.

The only time I spit is when dirt or a bug flies in my mouth but I'm a damn yankee.

I live in Texas. I noticed it's very common for men to mid conversation to run outside and spit. They come back and talk like nothing happened.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.