Agnostic.com

13 3

What do you think?

Every thing we hear is an opinion, not a fact.

Every thing we see is a perspective, not the truth.

Marcus Aurelius

Arasmuson 6 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

everything we hear is noise and everything we see is real. an opinion is a belief as is perspective.

It is true that some opinions are not based of facts and some perspectives are misperceived
The thinking person's job is to find the facts and truth; making opinion wisdom & perspective reality.

mzee Level 7 Dec 7, 2017

Even Neil deGrasse will tell you we cannot know anything for certain.

Was he one of those, watchmacallems, Sophists?

Usually people say this kind of shit to get away with thinking or doing whatever dumb shit they want to do. It's like, "...Yeah, but do you want pineapple on your pizza or not?"

@FuckReligion he was a stoic. His writings were about doing the right thing. Accepting the situation you are in and much more.

No, I think there is an objective reality. It isn't always clear and we don't always see it correctly but it exists and is external to our mental state.

Not exactly. Some things we hear are opinions. Some are accurate representations of facts. Your statements are a bit too cutely packaged to be accurate.

Not true look up Rashomon effect.

Boy I wish the FAKE NEWS being perpetuated by Fox News could be exposed with these theories. They are attacking Mueller and his team as using all Democrats to get trump out of office. They have OPINIONS not FACTS. They have their own PERSPECTIVE not the truth.

I disagree. I think there is truth. We recognize truth when we see/hear/think/ feel it. This sense of truth is why some of us are here on this forum questioning everything.

I suspect that was meant in terms of various social interactions (news, politics, and so forth), but it's true in other ways as well. Absolute proof isn't possible. History is somewhat subjective. Our experience takes place entirely inside our mind after it translates raw input (which we cannot verify). We make that first assumption that we can understand out environment; without that starting point, we couldn't function. Regarding the softer sciences, e.g., sociology and economics, there's far less confidence and much more speculation, and I think it becomes easier to see how Marcus Aurelius's statement is true.

No, don't agree.

A fact is something that remains in evidence, whether or not one chooses to acknowledge it.

Same for truth. A truth will stand solid regardless of anyone's perspective.

The Earth is flat - right ?

Ummm? That's what my maps show! Yeah...

The only thing flat-earthers fear is sphere itself! 🙂

David Hume State's we can never know anything for certain.

Yeppers. Applies to Marcus' opinion as well. 🙂

skado Level 9 Dec 7, 2017

That does it, I'm not going too think anymore.

life will be simpler

Yes its a good quote.

The world is not what we think it is. We are being tricked in a way into seeing the world through a very narrow perspective,one in which our 5 senses play a major role. We could just exist in that world and be perfeclty functioning human beings,but my view is thatw e are able to see above and past that .It may be only a glimse at something but I feel it is there, even science has found this out.

That is so cool. I almost understood it!

Great video, I actually read some papers on this. I can't find it but there is an awesome video of the actual experiment.

Hear....noise in a way. Just got to tune things out. Take what you need and leave the rest.

See.... illusion. Here today, gone tomorrow. I told my dad when he was fixing to pass on. Dad, its just stuff. Don't worry about it. He loved to count invisible coins.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7071
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.