Agnostic.com

7 15

Attraction Between People

Today I read a fascinating article about attraction that resonates with me. Favorite excerpts:

"Anytime we make a choice to focus on what makes us similar, what helps us mutually grow; when we show up as our authentic, best selves, or we observe how our physiologies dance together, we contribute to the mystery of attraction.

"The next time you want to look better in your date's eyes, put some kindness and humor on!

"According to Prof. Swami of University of London, studies on attraction seem to show
converging characteristics such as warmth, kindness or a good sense of humor can make you appear more physically attractive.

"It seems forming any type of relationship is magical after all. But the magic hides behind the people involved in the process and the choices they make."

From Three Myths About Attraction You Should Forget on Valentine's Day by Maja Wrzesien, on Medium.com. Feb. 14, 2023.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She thought I was........"Interesting' when she saw my profile.
Then discovered I was Crazy as Hell during our 1st texting .
When we talked the first time, she knew I was Special.
When we finally met, I gave her the Fucking Nuts Naughty Crazy she desired.
She still laughs at my shit, and tells me to never shut up

twill Level 7 Feb 15, 2023

Most people are like salesman on dates. They pretend to be nice, kind and they say everything they perceived that their dates wanted to hear. They are not authentic because they are insecure about who they are and what they stand for.

@vegan66

People are nervous during the first meeting. It's like a blind date.

Men do good phone talk. I am sick of men who post old photos and lie about their age. Most often I don't recognize him.

Suddenly my "hot date" gained 50 lbs, lost his hair and looks like his granddad.

I refuse to get twitipated about meeting a man.

@LiterateHiker You are very attractive and you take good care of yourself, I think that men should be motivated by these attributes to take care of themselves, instead they are trying to make you fall for them by deception.

As we get older we do not want to waste times in meaningless relationship. I wish you well. Lucky is the man who will find favor in your eyes.

@vegan66

Thank you.

"You can whip me into shape," multiple guys said. What an offer!

"No," I replied firmly. "Only you can motivate yourself to exercise regularly and eat right. You would resent me if I nagged."

Earlier this week I quit Fitness Singles dating site. I feel relieved.

And clicked yes on "Remove your profile and photos?" Don't want them using my photos to promote their dating site.

@LiterateHiker I have had the same experience with dating. showing up and the person is like 10 years older than their photos. I never understood what these people were thinking. I mean they knew that we were gonna meet sooner or later. what did they expect would happen? You cannot start a relationship on a lie!

Lately I've been very mean, but I'm not looking for anything!

For me, warmth, kindness AND a good sense of humor are what would get me. Have yet to find all 3 of those traits in anyone who also has the same values as me, let alone similar interests.

I was too sheltered for most of my life to have gotten out there to actually meet anyone suitable. Oh well, I'm happy now, on my own, so perhaps that was all for the best.

Professor Swami? 🙂 🙂

@Barnie2years

The writer did not include his first name.

@LiterateHiker the name reminded me of cartoons.

After our first hike, Gregg, a Ph.D. psychologist and I fell on each other like wolves.

We had fun talking and laughing together.

I took him on a day hike to Ancient Lakes, WA. Led him up a hill to eat lunch. After eating I sat on the hill overlooking the lakes, savoring the beauty.

Gregg moved to sit behind me. "Would you like to lean back against me?" he asked. I leaned back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around me.

I relaxed into his warmth and fell into a blissful daze. Our heartbeats synchronized.

Returning as we neared the cars, Greg stopped to ask if he could kiss me. Sure. Lips met briefly. Awkward.

"We can do better than that," I said. "Why don't you lie on your back in the grass over there? I can lay on top of you."

Slowly I crawled up his body until we were face-to-face. I paused and... OMG. A long, exquisite French kiss with me slightly grinding. "Getting carried away here," I said ruefully and pushed myself up.

This jumpstarted our intense attraction. We couldn't get enough of each other.

Gregg had met another woman at the same time. Ultimately he chose a Unitarian minister in Oklahoma for a long distance relationship.

At first Gregg pushed me to have phone sex. I refused because he was in a relationship. "It's not fair to your girlfriend or me," I told him.

"Why do you keep saying I'm different from other women?" I asked. "With sex you are sensual and playful," he replied.

Playful. I love that. Now we are friends.

When I read attraction I read 'chemistry.' Years ago there was a series on TV on the Discovery channel titled "the science of sex." I found that series extremely interesting and actually recorded several studies. Basically it showed we are too often attracted to another because of some subconscious attraction pheromones, culture or many of the things non-human animals are attracted. When I met my first wife I thought I was hit by a 2 x 4 and it was love at first sight. We knew little of each other and the attraction made us overlook warning signs. All her serious emotional issues were overlooked until they could no longer be so. I started paying attention and I found other women with whom I was attracted ended up the same way. Finally, with my late partner there was little chemistry on first meeting but we had gotten to know one another and it turned out to be more successful than either of us could imagine. Now I see chemistry is simply natures way of getting two bodies together to procreate and further evolution. Not happy, that's great then you can split and start all over again. In the end there's no magical chemistry, "mystery of attraction", and love at first sight is simply lust at first sight. The only real attraction is knowledge and compatibility of the other. Yes, in the end it is about choices but those choices need to be cognizant choices.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.