Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK Kentucky bill raising abortion to homicide draws Republican pushback | PBS NewsHour

FRANKFORT, Ky. ✈ — Newly filed legislation allowing illegal abortions to be prosecuted as homicides drew a quick pushback Wednesday from the state’s anti-abortion attorney general, who warned it would wrongly subject Kentucky women to charges for terminating pregnancies.

Republican state Rep. Emily Callaway raised the stakes in the state’s bitter abortion debates when she introduced the measure Tuesday in a state where most abortions are currently banned.

The freshman lawmaker’s proposal would subject illegal abortions to the “same legal principles as would apply to the homicide of a person who had been born alive.” The bill would expand the definition of a human being to include an “unborn child.”

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, a Republican who is running for governor, responded Wednesday that the bill “strikes the wrong balance” and urged the GOP-led legislature to reject it.

“If adopted by the General Assembly, this bill would allow pregnant mothers who have an abortion to be criminally charged and prosecuted with homicide,” Cameron said in a statement from his office that also touted his anti-abortion credentials.

So far, the highly charged abortion issue has mostly been on the back burner in this year’s legislative session in the Bluegrass State. Lawmakers are awaiting a ruling by Kentucky’s Supreme Court in a case revolving around the constitutionality of the state’s near-total abortion ban.

WATCH: The shifting battle over abortion rights 50 years after Roe

The state’s trigger law outlawing nearly all abortions is being challenged. It took effect after Roe v. Wade was overturned last year by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Kentucky law carved out narrow exceptions to save a pregnant woman’s life or prevent disabling injury.

Kentucky’s Republican House speaker, David Osborne, said Wednesday that he anticipates other abortion-related legislation being introduced in the coming days, including proposals that would provide further exceptions when abortion would be legal.

Osborne gave a chilly response to Callaway’s proposal to prosecute abortions as homicides. He said Kentucky lawmakers have “never passed a ‘pro-life’ measure that did not take into consideration the necessity for any exceptions, nor has this House majority caucus ever contemplated doing so.”

Republicans have supermajorities in both the Kentucky House and Senate.

The state’s trigger law targets doctors for prosecution for providing abortions in violation of state law, but pregnant women who receive abortions are not subject to prosecution. But the new bill introduced by Callaway did not appear to make exceptions for pregnant people.

Her bill would exempt abortions necessary to prevent a pregnant woman’s death. It includes other exceptions for a “spontaneous miscarriage;” or for abortions provided only after “all reasonable alternatives to save the life of the unborn child are unavailable or were attempted unsuccessfully.”

The measure would give the attorney general’s office concurrent jurisdiction along with local prosecutors in prosecuting illegal abortions as homicides.

Cameron, in the midst of this year’s hotly contested GOP primary campaign for governor, immediately distanced himself from the proposal.

“While I strongly support prohibiting abortions in Kentucky, I just as strongly support helping pregnant women,” Cameron said. “Pregnant mothers deserve our help, support and life-affirming options, not to face criminal charges.”

Cameron’s office has defended the trigger law and a separate six-week state abortion ban in legal challenges that reached the state’s highest court.

snytiger6 9 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you can believe the way they treat their exceptional race horses you wouldn't be surprised by the rest of their behaviors. I know that horses shouldn't be ridden until over 3 yrs old because their bones aren't fully developed yet. So with that goes the following.

1-Drugs aren’t given for the well-being of the horse. They’re given to do everything possible to keep the horses going when their bodies simply can’t handle it.
2-When a racehorse has had its body used up, it is very common practice for them to be sent to slaughter. They aren’t usually sent to graze in pastures for the rest of their life (they’re still relatively young too) like we may be led to believe. Nope.
3-So, when she delivers her baby, it is immediately taken from her and nursed by a “nurse mare” while the broodmare is then forced to immediately get pregnant again.
4-Horses are often euthanized on the spot when injured on the track. Broken legs, “run down,” ligament injuries, and more are all super common. It’s so bad that there is a Race Horse Death Watch.
5-“jockeys are the worst-paid and most seriously injured athletes in any professional sport.” Since 1940, there have been 154 deaths at horse racing tracks across the U.S. — 13 since 2000″ (source). [wild-hearted.com]

Let me add that Premarin for menapausal women is taken from the urine of pregnant horses, then the foals are useless and euthanized or shot in the head. The female again impregnated. There are not enough homes for the unwanted foals.
Horses for good photo ops having ears up and nostrils flared are actually made to stand in water and are then tased. Not all but most. Anything to do with horses in public venues are not good. It is an indicator of their treatment of human mothers and/or pregnancies. Any country can be judged by the way it cares for it's animals. If Kentucky just slaughters horses for no good reason you can bet they don't think highly of people either.

I'm not sure which emoji to go with hmm or wow.

Would either of these help? 😵🥴

No bussness of the Government on what comes in a person's body or out. Or it's gose under Nazi law , not natures law.

I don't see the problem with this. It's actually logical and consistent which I expect from my laws. The problem is not that women may get charged for murder for obtaining an illegal abortion, it's that any abortion is illegal in the first place. I want as extreme of laws as we can get to show the general public how stupid and wrong they are and reject them wholly.

Yes...and I guess I can understand your feeling. HOWEVER....what happens to those of us who are prosecuted and imprisoned before the laws are finally overturned? Since over half of the women who seek abortions already have at least one child...what happens to those children?

@pamagain I mean, they're already illegal, so we're only haggling over the severity of the punishment. And that could already be super harsh. What happens to those kids now? At least this shines a gigantic light on it while they're still trying to make it law not after it's too late.

@ChestRockfield All the unwanted children (usually the mom can't afford it, dad runs out on her) or rape children as well can be sent to the controlling men who don't want abortions legal. They want them born, put your money where your mouth is.

@K9Kohle Those men would probably love to own some children no one is going to be looking for. Nor sure that's a good idea.

@ChestRockfield Big mouths or squeaky wheels always get the grease. So if they do enough to force women to keep a baby they have no intention of smothering with love these men forcing women to give birth should be forced to care for the children or provide financial backing. There's always a way around pedophiles and an over-watch can be formed to check the welfare of the children.
No one who has been charged with a crime would be an adopter.
The best solution is the big mouths looking to control women must be forced to financially provide for them. Right now most fathers have child care withdrawn from their paycheck and never see it. Do that to men trying to rob a woman of the right to choose. Make them put money where their mouth is.
Once that program kicks in men will quit whining about abortions.

@K9Kohle If we're going to put it to a vote, and it appears we are, it should be a public vote and anyone voting to restrict or ban abortion agrees that if the ban passes, they have to pay as high a tax rate as needed to fund all care for children that are wards of the state.

Of COURSE they want to subject women seeking abortions to murder charges! Is there any doubt????

If a woman won't have babies to maintain the consumer economy, then she can go to a private jail where slavery is allowed and be forced to make things for the consumer economy.

@Beowulfsfriend Welcome to the American version of Nazi Germany and Gilead of The Handmaid's Tale. Women get to be the new Jews in the concentration camps.

@Beowulfsfriend Ohhhhh.....good ''work-around."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.