Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK Ask a Manager 02/22/2023 As a Manager, Should I Not Wear a "Childless" Shirt in my off-hours?

As a manager, should I not wear a “childless” shirt in my off-hours?
by ALISON GREEN on FEBRUARY 22, 2023

A reader writes:

This is a low-stakes question and one that’s more philosophical than imminent, but I’ve been curious about your take on it for a couple weeks now and decided to write in.

A women-focused satire site has been advertising me a pullover sweatshirt that says CHILDLESS in big letters across the front. Could this get me in trouble at work, or appear discriminatory against colleagues with children if I ran into a coworker in town in my off hours?

My personal context that has me thinking about it —

Two years ago ago I was promoted to my first management, surpassing a few colleagues with 5+ more years of tenure. While I believe my promotion was based solely on work quality, and in the past two years I think I’ve proven my worth as the right person to lead our team, I’m also someone who generally falls into the “preferred” side of societal biases — e.g. youth, physical appearance, health status, family status (not having to flex time for child care). To be clear, I don’t think this makes me a better person and I’m continually working to diminish my own acceptance of these biases, but I am aware of my privileges and the potential appearance of colleagues being passed over for discriminatory reasons.

I would feel pretty awkward if I ran into any of my colleagues with kids while wearing a sweatshirt championing childlessness (and already feel pretty awkward in meetings when they’re talking about kids/pets and I have to repeatedly say that no, I have none and won’t be getting any). But is that awkwardness a me problem or a potential work issue? How far does a management role extend into someone’s off-work personal expression?

For what it’s worth, I do ask my colleagues with kids about them, pass on notices about local family-friendly events, and always make accommodations for them to take off work or flex hours as needed to care for their families (which is the most important bit, I think).

I’m not seriously considering buying the sweatshirt. I just can’t get it out of my targeted ads and I think about this every time I see it!

• Ooooh, this is an interesting question (and I will be answering it as someone who is also childless by choice).*

I think you’ve got two competing principles here. On one hand, what you wear on your own time should be your own business (within some reasonable limits — if you’re wearing racist slogans, don’t be surprised if your employer takes an interest, especially if you manage people). And this sweatshirt doesn’t say that people with kids suck — it’s a statement about you, not anyone else. Is it that different than if you wore a shirt that said ITALIAN? Or for that matter, MOM? So from that perspective, this is no one’s business.

However … you’re a manager and that can change things. You don’t want anyone who reports to you to wonder if you think it’s somehow better not to have kids, or if you look down on people who do. You don’t want them to wonder whether you favor people who never need time off for a sick kid, or how you really felt about their maternity leave, or whether you’ve got biases that affect who gets what projects or promotion opportunities.

And to be clear, maybe a sweatshirt shouldn’t make them wonder any of those things. But given how very weird we are in this country about parenthood, and about motherhood in particular (it’s the highest calling a woman can aspire to! the most important job you’ll ever do! so selfish not to! oh, but don’t expect any support from society as a parent! you’re completely on your own! if it’s hard or messes up your career, well, you chose this so how dare you expect help) and the reality that many women do get penalized professionally for having children and that society is outright hostile to working moms in many ways … well, I sure could see an employee running into their manager wearing that sweatshirt and not feeling great about it.

So while you could wear it around town, I think it would be kinder and wiser not to, as long as you’re managing people, and I think that’s what your awkward feelings about it are telling you. But by all means, buy it and wear it around the house if you want to.

(As a side note, it’s interesting that you categorized being childless on the ““preferred” side of societal biases! It definitely can be at work, as detailed above … but holy wow, there’s some weirdness out there toward people who don’t have kids. Which is what gives the shirt its subversiveness. Society cannot be satisfied! If you are a woman, you’re going to be told you’re messing it up one way or another.)

HippieChick58 9 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By remaining child free your genes aren't being passed to the next generation, that could be good for the human species or bad depending on what you have to offer. I have chosen to be child free because one of me is bad enough. I also firmly believe that the world is over populated and something needs to be done about that before things get really bad. I can't understand why some people believe that we need to increase global population for the sake of the economy. I'll add Hippie's book recommendation to my to read list and hope that I can get to it. Back in the late 70s I read an article which predicted that the planet could sustain a global population of 40 trillion people. That's right trillion not billion. But that would require a strict centralized world government telling everyone exactly how they are allowed to live. I don't think the same prediction would be made today with what we know now. There was an old science fiction novel by Robert Silverberg about a future where all but one of the human species challenges have been solved with advances in technology. The only challenge that was left was what to do with an ever increasing human population. To make sure that there was still one challenge to take on people were heavily encouraged to have many kids. People who didn't want kids were considered insane or moral degenerates quickly dealt with before they could influence anyone else.

Given my reputation for really not caring what may upset others, I wouldn't hesitate to wear a T-shirt that said in large letters 'May Contain Alcohol ' when the liquor store I worked at would call me in on my days off.

"...given how very weird we are in this country about parenthood, and about motherhood in particular (it’s the highest calling a woman can aspire to! the most important job you’ll ever do! so selfish not to! oh, but don’t expect any support from society as a parent! " and "here’s some weirdness out there toward people who don’t have kids. Which is what gives the shirt its subversiveness. Society cannot be satisfied! If you are a woman, you’re going to be told you’re messing it up one way or another.)" (you do know you're pushing one of my big buttons). First off we are not weird in THIS country as this is basic instinct 101 fo all life forms. We supposedly the superior species are not really superior, intellectually, and just go along with the mainstream.Often, being childFREE is considered subversive, which, in a world of 8 billion of us and counting, it definitely is not. Might be a good way to open a conversation and plant a few (non-human) seeds.

Two of my daughters have kids, one has chosen not to. Her dad is punishing her. He is leaving her less money in his will, AND she is the one that takes him to all his appointments and stuff. She doesn't need a kid, she has him, and me at times. She has never wanted kids, and i respect that. She is the world's best auntie. And yeah, I don't regret the divorce at all. Except for the loss of his income.

@HippieChick58
Unfortunately, (you know) the proclivity to have offspring is deeply ingrained and supported by all cultures.When my 2nd partner and I decided to not have kids we joined CBC (Childfree By Choice ) and learned tons of reasons people don't want kids. I started watching a new series "New Amsterdam" and two black doctors talked about having kids. One a heart surgeon told his white girlfriend he could not stay with her because he wanted to find a black woman to have a black family> Another strong Black female doctor was upset because she had too few eggs to reproduce. She complained she knew there were thousands of reason to not bring in more people in this world but she felt driven. These kinds of remarks are intentional by our media in just getting more people to scratch their itch and continue with population growth. Never mind what the future will bring to those kids.

@jackjr I'm reading a fascinating book with my Humanists book club. [zeihan.com] The End of The World Is Just The Beginning by Peter Ziehan. The future of the world and how we got there, and how our shrinking population if affecting all of it. The Chinese are going to have some serious problems.

@HippieChick58 Sounds interesting but I have learned most predictions for the future are way off. I still remember the movie, '2001 Space Odyssey.' It wasn't even close and after the sequel 2010 it showed the writers religiosity. I noticed from the synopsis, once again the economy seemed to be the focal point. I blame Clinton for his statement "Without a healthy economy we cannot have a healthy environment. It's just the other way around. The natural environment is the bank principle and the economy should be about living off the interest of that principle. We've gone way past that point and are now trying to live on what's left of the principle.

I was a long time member of the Humanist group. Several years ago the main group started falling apart and I wrote several letters (some of which got published). Now I'm with a chapter of the AHA, 'Free Inquiry.' FE is not afraid to call a spade a spade. [secularhumanism.org]

I would have no problems with telling others that I was childless. There could be a problem though if some guy sees you wearing a childless T-shirt. He might try to get you alone somewhere and give you a child by force. Maybe others may think you are wanting to be raped. A little booze, a little dope, and who knows what could happen.

i think you are a provocateur and need to STFU about your private life via your clothing, unless your last name is Kardashian........

Boy, I hate running into to people from work!

Maybe because of the pandemic or the size of my city or workplaces, I rarely run into people from work. I do occasionally encounter a woman I worked with in a previous job. She was not someone I'd ever be friends with, she was a suck up to the boss and just a mean girl. I see her sometimes in a grocery store that I visit once in a while. I don't get the feeling she recognizes me, and I'm usually masked. If she did talk to me, I'd love to tell her that leaving that job was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I have a much better job now.

@HippieChick58 Well, you know, I teach and I cannot go to the store without running into kids or colleagues. I don't want them to see what I am wearing or what I am buying. But it is what it is. The state is so small that even if I go to another part, I run in to someone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:711002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.