Agnostic.com

9 18

LINK 3 Texas women sued for allegedly helping friend access abortion pills -- Axios

Three women are facing a lawsuit for wrongful death after a man accused them of helping his ex-wife obtain medication for an abortion.

Driving the news: The lawsuit is the first of its kind under Texas' near-total abortion ban, which could make it a crime for anyone to help a pregnant person access the procedure.

Marcus Silva has alleged that his now ex-wife realized she was pregnant in July 2022, a month after Roe v. Wade was overturned and a month before Texas' trigger ban went into effect.
Two of his ex-wife's friends allegedly texted her with information about Aid Access, an international group that provides abortion pills via mail, before appearing to decipher a way to obtain the medication in Houston, according to the complaint.
The third woman delivered the medication, the lawsuit alleges. 

Details: Court records show that Silva's wife filed for divorce in May 2022; it was finalized in February, the Texas Tribune reports.

In text messages attached to the complaint, she expressed concern that Siva would "use it against me" and try to make her stay with him. "And after the fact, I know he will try to act like he has some right to the decision."

Her friends appeared to agree, with one texting: "I just worry about your emotional state and he’ll be able to snake his way into your head." They also encouraged her to delete their text conversation.

The lawsuit argues that obtaining a self-managed abortion is a crime of murder and that Silva as such has ground to sue the three women, who have not been criminally charged, under the wrongful death statute.

Silva's wife is not named in the suit; Texas' laws exempt the pregnant person from prosecution.

Between the lines: The lawsuit says the abortion took place in July. However, at the time, the state’s trigger ban had not yet taken effect — the law became enforceable in late August.

Our thought bubble: The lawsuit brings attention to the idea that anyone other than a health provider could be punished under Texas’ trigger ban, which does not specifically state that penalties apply only to "licensed physicians."

Abortion bans have so far specifically focused on penalizing doctors, and this case could potentially change that, even as anti-abortion groups say the focus for prosecution should be on providers.

Of note: While Texas’ trigger ban states that providing an abortion could be considered a first-degree felony — punishable by life imprisonment or a term between five to 99 years — it makes no mention that abortion should be considered murder.

snytiger6 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For some reason I thought the law was very strict and that the pregnant female would face charges of murder-not in this case. I also thought anyone helping would go to jail for some kind of fabricated murder-not in this case.

The TX law is spineless, confusing and unimportant. They should all go fuck themselves- and someone can report them for killing potential babies due to masterbating. That would be the only justice here if the men ended up in jail for murder.

What a fucked up law and what a fucked up state. It's all about controlling women.

Last name Silva? That is a True Owner of Tejas.

So. Much. Bullshit.
😡

If the law didn't take effect until August, and the abortion was in July, dipshit doesn't have a case.
Fuck that guy, and fuck Texass.

"Between the lines: The lawsuit says the abortion took place in July. However, at the time, the state’s trigger ban had not yet taken effect"

Are these yahoos going to go back 10 years if someone tells them so&so had an abortion? What would stop them? They're going back BEFORE the ban as it. is. How far back they gonna go?

Any chance you could clear up the text overflows, please?

Ridiculous that they now come up with lifetime imprisonment for this nonsense. Wrongful death? There is a question of whether or not the fetus would be born alive even if carried to term. My big question on all this is why was an abortion done when the husband was against it? Maybe the child could have simply been given up for adoption. I'm not thinking that this couple would remain married for long now.

They were already separated.

The marriage was bad. Having a child typically entangles the parents for life, regardless of whether married or divorced.

Adoption is seldom acceptable by someone with an unwanted pregnancy.

The suit should be thrown out since it happened before this draconian law took effect.

I'm glad I am old.

I am glad my urge to have kids was eradicated by forgetting to have them.
Seriously, the issue of abortion was strictly academic and philosophic to me until last week. Then it became reality asking me what I really thought. (It's not mine, and I will never spawn, but it's a dear friend of mine that has a horrible choice to discuss with her man.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:713830
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.