Agnostic.com

2 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That whole thing was a farse to begin with. Lightfeather's real name was Maria Louise Cruz. She was a actress, not an actual Native American. 😒 [en.wikipedia.org]

I don't think it really matters if she was an actual native or not. Her words were relevant and applicable just the same.

That she was of Mexican descent, means she did have some Native American ancestry, although it may not been the ancestry she claimed.

So, she had more native ancestry than say Iron Eyes Cody, who was completely of Italian descent, who was best known as the Crying Indian.

@snytiger6 You're missing the point completely... With all of the actual NAs out there, why the hell send someone who's not an actual NA?? and then pretend they are one.. It really sends the wrong message. It shows how fake they are, and why believe someone that is such a fake? The obvious point is to just send an actual representative to give the message. It would have a much better affect, if you ask, well, anyone with a sense of honesty. 😏

@Captain_Feelgood Even back in the 1970's you'd be hard pressed to be able to find a full blooded Native American. Persons with Mexican ancestry do have some Native American ancestry.

I pretty much agree with what she said, and I only have about 3% Native ancestry. I wish I had a better cultural understanding of Native Americans than I do.

I am of the opinion that a white person can speak in favor of black rights, that a straight person can speak in favor of gay rights, that men can speak out for women's rights and that a person does not have to be a part of a minority group in order to empathize with them or speak out on their behalf.

@snytiger6 As for your last paragraph, I can't think of anyone with a brain that would disagree with any of that. It's pretty much a moot point.
As for your second, it doesn't matter if you have any NA ancestry or not. I'm actually 1/8 Cherakee, and I certainly can't claim to know what all my ancestors went through outside what I've read about or been told by my grandparents.
For your first paragraph, I assure you, there were plenty of full blooded NAs .. And plenty without Mexican ancestry.... That statement was either mis-stated, or just really ignorant.

I miss that show, I don't get HBO anymore.

Thankfully much of it is on You Tube. Same with John Oliver.

Neither do I but i watch Bill's show every Saturday with the devices I have. The show actually airs on Friday nights.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:713848
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.