Agnostic.com

10 2

Dating when unemployed?

Do you refrain from dating when unemployed? Do you date people that are unemployed? Does the reason for unemployment matter? Does it matter if they are actively looking for new employment?

I was still trying to date when I was first laid off, even with the ego hit losing a job can bring, I still wanted to get out there and find a connection. Though the longer I've been job hunting the less I've been willing to do more than look to see who is out there but never attempting to contact anyone. I don't believe I would date someone unemployed if they were not looking for a new job or if they quit without something else lined up.

TheGreatYogurt 4 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

there are so many varibles not one fits all. Depends if cronic unemployable and reasons why. Sometimes jobs are few and far between

This is personally a bit of a tricky area for me, because I both have a guaranteed monthly income and am unemployed. You have to be certain before you write someone off as lazy or a loser "not looking for a new job" that they don't, in fact, have a very good reason for not doing so. People have varying financial situations and some of them either do not find it necessary, or in some cases, are unable to work. Would you knowingly discriminate against someone disabled or independently funded? I, for one, would definitely not!

It is considered somewhat rude or tacky to ask people why they do not work or where they get their money from in polite society...so many individuals do not immediately volunteer or reveal that about themselves. Sometimes there is more to someone than meets the eye, though! If utilized wisely, time away from work can be very productive and rewarding, both for that person and others in their life. As the proverbial saying goes, don't judge a book by its' cover...or its' job!

Good question. I have dated unemployed persons in the past. Unemployed isn't necessarily a bad thing. I haven't been unemployed during my daring career.

I just like a date, I wouldn't give a toss what their employment status was it would be down to whether I fancied them, I would deal with any other stuff as we went along 🙂

I would date an unemployed person who was honest and kind over an employed person who was dishonest and cruel. People are not defined by their jobs.

I too have found it difficult to both date while being unemployed and dating someone who was and not interested in being employed again soon.

I would date while unemployed, and I would date the unemployed, but circumstances do matter. If they're broke and looking for someone to take care of them, that's really not my thing, but if they're just between jobs, I really don't have a problem with that.

I would casually date someone who is unemployed but can't see myself sticking around if the situation didn't change.

I personally would have no problem dating someone who is unemployed. If they are just a schlub and sulking all day at home, I would have an issue with that. However, if they are happy and meaningfully active with things during the week, I would actually prefer that. I like people are not driven by financial gain.

Of course, people need to make a sustainable wage, so it all depends on their lifestyle and how they maintain it.

I personally don't try to date if I don't have a job because it is just a huge turn off to most people, so I do not even try. Ideally though, I would love to meet someone where we both work part time, live simply, and have more time to spend together.

We will see if I find that though.

Yes I would refrain from DWU. Might lead to scamming and lazy attitudes on the part of him or her not finding a true effort to find a new job!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71449
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.