Agnostic.com

8 6

LINK Homeopathic and natural remedies aren’t the same thing—and only one of them is total nonsense | Popular Science

This is why nearly all naturopathy is benign at best today—often those plants that really do cure diseases go into drug development and come out the other side as pills and tablets and gels. There are certainly a few remedies that do work, especially for minor ailments like joint or muscle pain, since pharmaceutical companies aren’t necessarily interested in putting down millions of dollars just to develop another aspirin-esque drug.

But let’s be clear about one thing: natural remedies and homeopathy aren’t the same thing. Naturopathy, while not scientifically proven, is mostly based around using plants to treat diseases. Some of those remedies work, and on principle we can’t dismiss a treatment simply because it comes from nature.

However, we can certainly dismiss all of homeopathy. And we will!!!

zblaze 7 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ok everyone.
Immunology is complicated. Trust me on that. It is very, very complex.
I have been forced to study it (not entirely against my will, admittedly) and work in that field.
Immunological desensitisation has nothing to do with homeopathy. The first is understood. The mechanism is defined and proven.
There is not one iota of clinical evidence that homeopathy works. Trust me, if there were, I would be straight on the bandwagon.
Acupuncture works, herbal medicines work. There is so much we don't understand, yet. I keep an open mind.
Homeopathy has been very much under scrutiny and study. To repeat: not one study has demonstrated that it works. Placebo effect? Yes.

Naturopathy is primitive chemistry. Homeopathy is the placebo effect. Naturopathy can be useful for many minor problems, like head aches, (willow bark) mild infections, (common plantain) parisitic infections, (quinine bark for malaria) serious anesthetics (datura, also known as thorn apple. To render someone unconscious) These are some of the natural remedies I've learned about on my survival trips.
Homeopathy works best with psychological disorders, (belief that one is posessed and Phantom pain in a missing limb) Both have their place in medicine. I sure am glad my cardiologist trained under the scientific method before my heart attack

When you think about it, most of our cures come from the elements found in plants, though they've been tweaked so they're more effective.

Homeopathic medicine - just say water with a lot of faith!

this drives me a little bonkers! People get homeopathy (quackery) confused with complementary techniques constantly.
Acupuncture works (for responders) for scientifically established reasons.
Homeopathy doesn't (excluding placebo effect)
Argghhh!

Why on earth did they not talk about marijuana which has many health benefits.. Medical cannabis can improve your immune system according to literature I received at the Cannabis Bank I now attend.

I'm sure that they will talk about marijuana in the future but only after Big Pharma and the Liquor and Tobacco industries get their hooks into it so they can corner all the profits.

The humble beginnings of modern pharmaceuticals: No one today remembers or has a hard time accepting this: all medicines of centuries or millennia past came from roots, herbs, minerals and while we have more sophisticated means to develop new ones without the primitive past, it does not mean that the news ones have been built on the shoulders of the past.

Absolutely.
Aspirin was derived from Willow bark.
The vast majority of modern pharmaceuticals are plant or microbial in origin. Only a minority have been artificially created - based upon these priors.

My father was a naturopathic doctor, trained in Switzerland after he was given 3 months to live by Western doctors in Canada. After being cured by naturopaths in Switzerland he was mentored by the head of the clinic and studied naturopathy in Switzerland for 4 years before returning home to Canada. Since Canada has universal health care his only patients back in the 70's and 80's were terminal cases that had been written off by traditional medical practitioners, he had a high success rate and retired in his 70's - he'll be 89 years old this September and he was written off for dead back in 1973. So yes it works for some illnesses but even my father will tell you that in the event of a traumatic accident he would only want to go to the ER.

Thank you for this article. It does, fortunately, speak to a few things I tell people often - if you think arnica gel works (it does for me), then you should use it. Call it what you want - placebo, or whatever. I appreciate "clinical studies" but often am concerned about the money trail associated. St. John's Wort, another example, absolutely does work for me - I am living proof! LOL! But "clinical studies" vary in their opinions on effectiveness. Follow the money!

Arnica worked pretty well for me when I had a soft-tissue surgery. I didn't bruise nearly as much as I would have done otherwise.

Arnica is scientifically proven to work. Its action has been proven. It is not a placebo any more than any other plant origin pharmaceutical.
But yes, re money trail.
Try to refer to Pubmed/Medline for the truth.

@Stevil totally. Acupuncture was dismissed for decades. It works (for responders)
After the fact, scientists now know exactly how & why. It stimulates endogenous opiate production from the spinal cord and various neurotransmitters in the brain

St John's Wart , worked for me , too . Getting certain people out of my life , worked better , in the long run .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.