Agnostic.com

9 2

Do unto others: What rights do animals have?

AstralSmoke 8 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They have the right to be loved and cared for.

they have the right to taste good

no one and nothing has rights. that's a human invention and misconception. something we will find out soon enough at this rate. earth will scratch us off like a huge dog with tiny fleas and move on. there is no fare or laws really.

Unfortunately, much like slaves in the old days, animals only have the rights their owners provide for them.

You're limiting your animals.

At a basic level, animals should have the same rights as humans. The right to not be abused and tortured for the amusement of others. The right to love and adequate shelter, food and water if they are domesticated. The right to live in a comfortable, clean and spacious environment. All of the above should apply even if they are harvest animals. And if they are harvest animals, the right to die quickly, painlessly and without fear when their time comes.

They have the right to NOT be left out in 10 degree weather all night long. If I knew which neighbor did this I would do my best to have them arrested.

Let me explain.... I woke up this morning to a dog at my fence that apparently broke his leash (it was dragging behind him). If I thought that the dog and my dog would behave I would have brought it inside but my dog is very protective. Instead, I called animal control.

We had to eventually turn in a guy to the police because he would not feed his horses. He wasn't to happy with us.

He wasn't happy? Tough shit.

IMO not nearly enough for all that they contribute.

Good question, but I'll have to think about it for a while. I may need to reframe the question in terms of what human responsibility toward animals is, but I need to puzzle out some nuance first.

Take your time. ... ok, that's enough.

My difficulty here is distinguishing rights (or our responsibility) based upon the sentience of the animal. Baseline, I'd say we're responsible to never intentionally and needlessly cause pain (as there may be times it's unavoidable for the health and wellbeing of the animal). Killing is where I'm far more conflicted. I think it needs to always be humane. I'm vegetarian, but I've never said others need to be. I'm not vegan, and I really don't see anything wrong with housing animals for eggs and dairy and honey, again provided treatment is humane. I'm torn on leather, though, because for certain things (belts, work boots) nothing is as durable as leather, but that does require the death of animals. (I don't wear leather jackets, fur, etc., however, as there seem to be adequate alternatives to animal skin in those cases.) And for mice and rats, I'm not happy to kill them but do so because they invade the living space and carry disease — but I refuse to use sticky traps, which are torture, and I convinced my father to stop using them. I guess ultimately I think no animal should suffer needlessly, at least never by human hand (because natural predators kill their prey in horrific ways sometimes, and animals die hungry, injured, and afraid all the time in the wild). I think we should avoid killing animals if there's no purpose (e.g., hunting for sport). If we kill for food, clothing, etc., I think the death (and life, inasmuch as we're involved) must be humane and painless. There are, of course, altruistic reasons to kill, euthanizing an animal that's in great pain. I do think the more intelligent an animal is the more careful we need to be about its rights, and I'd say there's a greater obligation to a horse, a dog, or an ape, than to a mouse or a rat or a pigeon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7173
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.