Agnostic.com

7 9

American IQs are going down--I didn't need a study to tell me this!

[yahoo.com]

Gwendolyn2018 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For many decades, IQs worldwide went up, the so-called Flynn effect. There was a plateau in the 2000s, and from that time, it's a slow decline, especially in Western societies, which is not very surprising. The jury is still out about the reason(s). The internet and social media is certainly one of them (my guess)

Possibly due to texting with abbreviations rather than full words and also to a ridiculous "politically correct" attitude that insists one should never correct other people's errors.

My daughter had a teacher who couldn't spell. AT ALL.. I used to circle her spelling errors in red and return the test she made up. i never saw my kids do homework, they could have done it in a study hall which i did but they were anything but smart at the end of 12 yrs. Least they have a meaningless piece of paper to show everyone (diploma). They both hate computers.
Also intelligent couples choose careers over kids and the not so smart make up for it with 7 kids. Mostly the breeders lack the inclination to raise kids to be smarter, plus they don't have the brains. Sadly the kids in 4th grade already surpass their parents.

@Gwendolyn2018 having a teacher unable to spell never helped their own spelling and it's not a good example for the kids who are smarter. What do they think of her? Not much. They should be able to look up to her as an example. Learning to write with a beginning, middle and end should be mandatory for elder students. As for their intelligence, I have nothing to base it on. Nothing either have done has ever impressed me as coming from an enlightened person. They're now in their 40s. Neither ever worked more than 5 years. Dad supports one and the husband supports the other one. I haven't got respect for either ones' accomplishments up to this point. I'm not a person who can accept nothing and praise them for giving birth or shoveling the neighbors driveway. Too many parents accept mediocrity and praise their kids for that. I am not that person.

@Gwendolyn2018 I never heard she had learning challenges. She got out of her car carrying a clear plastic bag full of makeup. Her priorities were elsewhere. There were probably 3 men to impress there.

I understand there are challenges inherent in some children=- my children didn't have anything holding them back. I will say in 4th grade my son lost his best friend to a car accident and never fully recovered from that. Death interrupted his mental health fora bit I think. I used to have talks with him about his friend but it did really go on for a longer time than expected.

All of her life my daughter never had one friend. Not one. For birthdays I had to implore my friends to drop off their kids for a party. She was socially awkward and I think still is. I understand everyone has set backs but I still think most parents use praise too liberally. I had higher expectations from them and in my eyes they stumbled. I have never communicated that to either one.
Their life choices as they got older pretty much left me speechless. I don't offer the fact IRL that I have children. They are adults and I no longer feel it necessary to understand either of them.

The same probably applies in the UK.

Duhhhhh. The dumbing down of citizens by starving public education

If one pays attention, it is most obvious. Very distressing.

Welcome to the ever increasing doubling down of the religious lunatics and anti-intellectuals that exist in "the Land of Free [to be a total fucking idiot]".

@Gwendolyn2018 For those people being an intellectual is truly viewed as a negative. It's not the jocks that get bullied in school, it,s the smart kids. I suspect brilliant minds intimidate them. The "deer in the headlights" look when a word with more than two syllables baffles them is amusing.

@MizJ I think there is much in what you say. It is my prejudice that stupid people can find intelligent people frightening because stupid people do not understand how intelligent people think, feel and react, and so find intelligent people unpredictable, and hence frightening. /@Gwendolyn2018

@anglophone There may be a lot in that. But I also think that in part, there is an deep understanding, known intuitively to most, that real working intelligence, the sort that counts in the world, is made not mainly by smart genes, but by care and effort. And so there is a guilty feeling that. "I too could be smart if I was not uncaring and lazy." So that smart people act as a reminder of guilt, and what do you do when someone tells you something unpleasant you don't want to hear ? You hit the messenger.

@Fernapple That also makes a lot of sense. Thanks. 🙂

@Fernapple Working intelligence requires reading instead of parking in front of a TV.

@Gwendolyn2018 Smart kids that receive only ridicule are the lucky ones.

IMHO, kids are being taught how to take tests, not how to think and reason.

Sadly, very true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:718564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.