Agnostic.com

6 10

LINK Let's talk about evil in a religious context.... - YouTube

Has anyone heard of Beau of the fifth column? I like his videos. He explains things so well.

GrooshStar 7 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it says right there in the babble that gawd created 'man' in his own image, and there are several powerful stories about helping the stranger and treating them well. (because it could be gawd in disguise checking up on your values!)
so treating any human poorly because they don't meet Your standards is actually treating gawd with Huge disrespect....s/he made that person, whoTH are You to judge!!!!!?!

Only people who believe in demons get possessed by them, or believe their children are so they can commence to torture them.

"Evil," per se does not exist, because evil beings do not exist. People sometimes do things to harm other people. If they do it knowingly, their action be traced to a bad upbringing and/or poor treatment, and/or "bad genes." There is a REASON for it. "Evil" is not a supernatural force, a "thing," but there's no doubt certain kinds of bad behavior are deeply ingrained and close to impossible to dislodge once in place.

If you don't want to address your own failings and weaknesses, then you have to find someone else to blame and hate. You just have to find an excuse, and/or a system that can provide an excuse.

There is I think, a link between religion, falsehood and evil, for although religion does not have to be immoral or evil, but then neither is it naturally moral, at a basic level, it is simply amoral, completely neutral on issues of morality. To use the wonderful metaphor coined by a member here, it is a sauce which you can pour over anything. Which is sadly why though it is not evil, it is so much more useful to the evil of intent, who can get the best use out of the weapons and smoke screens of religion. While if you have good intent, why would you need to hide the sight and flavour with a sauce.

And that is my main problem with religion on all issues, it does not have to be an evil thing, ( Some none deist philosophies promote a lot that is good. ) but it is a tool which most readily fits the hand of those with evil intent. Especially conservative extremes, who are so successful at promoting the false myth that religion is not merely a source of morality, but even the 'only' source of morality, exactly because that helps greatly to raise the caliber of one of their main weapons.

In fact of course, there is an exact analogue with the gun law issue. Where the pro-gun lobby love to point out that, a rifle is a useful tool, for the farmer to protect the worlds food, and for the poor to feed their families, etc., and they say that. "Guns do not kill people. It is only the shooters who do that." Neither does religion create, conservative extremism, bullying, sexism, racism, anti-intellectualism, pseudo-education, science denial, or extreme nationalism, etc. but it does help them very greatly to promote themselves. So with the same pragmatism which makes most pro gun control people, think that the world would be both a happier and safer place if there were fewer guns. So it is, that I think that the world would be a far happier and safer place if there was less religion.

Well said. "Evil" is a religious term. It's source, supposedly, is Satan. But is Lucifer the archangel "evil?" Why? What did he do? Opposed God for creating such an IMMORAL world? Oh I know, God has a "plan." He works in mysterious ways. "Christ" says pray and your prayers will be answered. Not true! It's been proven! A reasonable man or woman will reason in vain to find even a trace of logic in all this so, according to that way of thinking, maybe Lucifer wasn't "evil" after all; maybe confused, but who isn't?!?

The bigoted fucks aren’t capable of seeing their hypocrisy. It’s like tunnel vision on steroids or something….:🤨

I'm surprised that he addressed this but he hits it right on the head. "Evil" is a strong word and has nothing to do with LGBTQ people. Christian Nationalists seem to be in the background of some of this hate and they have very strange views. Sorry folks! You cannot pray gay away. You imagine you can and you believe in an imaginary god who wanted to kill all his creation twice. This is the god of "love."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:721290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.