Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Texas agriculture commissioner tells employees to dress according to 'biological gender'

A Texas state agency is being criticized for implementing transphobic policy after a dress code instructed employees to dress according to their "biological gender."
The policy from Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, published by the Texas Observer on Monday, said that violations could result in discipline ending in termination. Miller doubled down on the policy in an interview with Spectrum News on Wednesday.
Miller said his office had complaints about gender issues that led to this specific part of the policy, according to Spectrum.
“When a man comes dressed in drag, or vice versa, it’s very disruptive, it’s not professional," Miller said. "We want you to come looking like you’re professional and representing."

First off, "drag" is not, as I understand, anything to do with gender identity (I may be wrong). Second, "gender" is not biological; that's "sex". Third, the biological line between sexes is not hard and fast; humans can be and have been born with attributes of both sexes.

And last, I wonder who exactly complained about "gender issues" in the Agriculture Commission? I have this weird feeling that the "complaints" come from above, not from customers...

Paul4747 8 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

TX has gone full-boar into the Christian Theocratic Method yet somehow refuses to see that their god hit their Governor with a tree while he was jogging for his health. This development, and those like it, therefore do not surprise me. What does surprise me is that anyone continues to financially support TX products or existence. Instead they point to Austin as being liberal as if that holds some meaning (SMH). Get serious or get oppressed. Those are the only choices for such issues.

One person I work with is a lesbian. There is no way I can say that she dresses in drag. No way at all. Some people are just stupid.

Sid Miller dug in his heels and will fall there. Good bye, Sid.

For Sid Miller to equate gender of dress with looking professional shows that he is completely out of his non-existent mind.

Biological sex is sex. External dress and appearance comprise gender. I'd say drag DOES suggest gender identity, and not necessarily biological sex.

Perhaps. My admittedly imperfect understanding was that dressing in drag is deliberately dressing the opposite of your gender identity. Again, I could be wrong, this is a subject I don't understand, but that's not the point. The point is that the people who do it understand why they do, and it's nobody's business to tell them otherwise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:721541
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.