Agnostic.com

4 12

I often hear people say or write that pets have "crossed the rainbow bridge." One of my distant cousins just shared a memory on FB about a pet who died a couple of years ago. She is Christian and I have seen other Xtians write this, too.

I s'pose they think that means a rainbow leading to the Xtian heaven. I also assume that they don't know the "rainbow bridge" is from Norse myth and those pets are going to Valhalla or Folkvangr. The name of the bridge is "Bifrost." The bridge most likely refers to the Aurora Borealis, not a rainbow.

Those pets are going to be living up in the halls of the pagans and, alas, will not be reunited with their former owners.

Gwendolyn2018 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The rainbow bridge came from some poem or other and it's where dogs that passed wait for their human to die and come get them for their future "trip" to whatever is next on the life list I like to imagine me walking around wherever we end up with all my pets with me. Heaven.
[rainbowsbridge.com]

Excellent explanation

@Gwendolyn2018 I stay in my botanical lane

@Gwendolyn2018 Your lane is so Kewl

The pets may be the lucky ones then.

I have heard of the rainbow bridge for years, since I first had my golden. If it comforts someone I am all for it, losing a pet sucks. When I first transitioned to atheism I had to let go of the irrational hope of seeing my mother and my first daughter in heaven one day. It gave me comfort to think of my mother being with my daughter and my daughter being healed of her birth defects. I mourned that loss of that hope for months. And I've also sent plenty of critters to "the rainbow bridge." I am all for what ever gives you peace. I am now over 10 years as an atheist, and yes, I still mourn the loss of hope of seeing my mother and daughter once again. I don't care that much about anyone who has gone on before, except for the kritters. I want to apologize to Spooky for the way her passing was handled, she deserved better.

@Gwendolyn2018 I have a strong feeling that too many good xian a'holes I've known are in heaven if there is one, and even if my mom and baby were there, it wouldn't be heaven for me with the a'holes all around. I just cringe to think of who might be in heaven even though on earth they were literally holy pieces of horse excrement. That isn't my idea of heaven. In fact, everything I've heard about heaven sounds boring as hell, I'd rather not go. I've heard it described as standing around singing god's praises. This is the god that lets children starve to death and be raped by priests? Yeah, hard pass.

@Gwendolyn2018 I need to live forever to catch up on my projects list.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:723206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.