Agnostic.com

16 4

Is it normal to be deathly afraid of relationships?

No need to explain. The question says it all.

Indecisive 4 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. It is normal for someone with major trust issues. Sometimes it just seems better to stay safe.

It depends, some people are abusive in a relationship and/or bring on abuse.They should avoid them at all costs. If however you have been badly burned then it`s natural but you may heal in time

I got divorced in October 2016 after 33 years of marriage. I'm just getting to the point where I'm considering looking for another relationship. The idea of another breakup has just been too much for me.

Nobody said it would be easy. As l get older it does seem to be harder to get up for. When l was younger it was more like 'bring on the next one', and l would jump in with both feet. I wish you the best of luck. ☺

No, with enough time and experience under our belts most of us do get there

Normal? "Normal" is some trepidation, or perhaps a level of anxiety.

"Deathly afraid" is excessive, and likely pathological in origin.

Or it's hyperbole. Hard to tell.

Deathly. I get that. For me it’s like being trapped.

I am the king of staying away from a relationship. last one was thirty one yrs ago. Not that I am against them but very very cautious.

Are you unhappy and/or lonely due to your fear of relationships? If so, I suggest your see a counselor.

I don't believe that fear of relationships equates to me being lonely or unhappy. I seriously just don't want anything to do with them is all. I feel most at peace when I have alone time. A lot of people I know can't handle such isolation but I welcome it like a friend that I haven't seen in years.

I don't think it does but what do I know anyway....

Depends on your situation

Not sure if it's normal or not, but a little uneasiness isn't necessarily a bad thing, always good to be cautious.

It’s easy to say that it is not normal, but that doesn’t mean it’s not fine. You have your reasons.

Not really...

N7EIE Level 6 May 3, 2018

Afraid of what exactly?

I have severe trust issues when it comes to people in general.

@irascible maybe

"deathly" afraid might be a good reason to see a professional if it bothers you that you are.

I don't know about being afraid, maybe I'm cautious

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72868
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.