Agnostic.com

10 6

Looks like many of the old, humane, civil and rational old-timers are gone from the site, and are being replaced by people trying to be cute and by uncivil reactionary right-wingers trying to hijack the site. Too bad. I used to rely on the site for intelligent, and respectful dialogue.

wordywalt 9 Sep 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just block them.

I noticed the rightwingers too. If they become belligerent and deceptive, let the blocking begin.

The old-timers are back, and more every week too.
Every site on the planet has idiots and provacateurs. i choose to not be provoked.
Although sometimes it's fun to pile on them........

It will grow again.

i know to some it might be counter to open and honest, truthful, full on dialogue, but i don't care. when a member acts like a jerk i limit my exposure. the world nor i will suffer much because i added a member to the idiot heap. block the crap, get on with the other stuff. ✌️

I see a similar trend on dating sites. There have always been fake accounts, and advertisements in the form of accounts, but now we've got fake accounts that are trying to push an agenda. On dating sites!

I think it's a function of members dropping out when the site was inaccessible, and not knowing it was back. Like me, until last month.

i wonder if what you're seeing is just a result of us all having our hackles up a bit more than we used to. it is like we are more attuned to what we can construct as disrespectful toward ourselves or those things we still appreciate in our world. perhaps the idiots are just harder to ignore now.

It is sad but true .
The lesson we have gained from covid is fear.
Fear of dissent
Fear of rational thinking
Fear of ostracisation by peers
Fear of attracting attention to ones self.
Fear of straying out from the hive.
Politics is still regarded as a safe topic where propaganda, lies and mayhem can be exchanged without fear of reprisals and or straying out of the hive mentality.
Politicians are safe targets as they, and their parties, are seen to be corrupt depending on the prevailing wind

I don’t think the influx of new and persistent posters of rightwing propaganda and conspiracy theorist rubbish has anything at all to do with fear or lessons learnt during Covid. Social media is the perfect conduit for posting and spreading this stuff and we’ve had plenty of them in the past on Agnostics, but these one or two new members are just a bit more extreme and more prolific in their posting habits. Totally ignoring them and starving them of the opportunity of riposte is the best method of dealing with them in my opinion.

I have not noticed that there is less respectful dialog or uncivil folks. I do notice that many of the old timers have not come back.

I do think there’s been a recent influx of more vociferous and persistent posters who seem only interested in posting extremely provocative rightwing or alternative material.

@Marionville ....not to mention their joy in insulting us. I've blocked a couple of them....never had to do that in the past.

Many of them left before the site went down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:730283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.