Agnostic.com

89 16

Do u think Christianity is bad ? What's your opinion on it

Ya know I have a very hard time respected the religion . We as athiest or agnostics know it's bogus . Its a book that basically tells u what to believe is right or wrong and if u don't agree then your wrong and the co sequences are going to hell . The Bible itself is poorly written . One chapter gods this nice loveable person then the next he's growing babies and slaying baby's and cursing them ! So many people hate gays and lesbian people becus of the Bible . Whether I think it's nasty or not doesn't mean its wrong . I also hate the disrespect I get when I tel people I'm athiest. Why can't we think for ourselves ?

DavidDeLa89 6 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christianity is a dangerous cult, just like any other cult. If a Christian is caught doing something "un-Christian" then they are labeled "Not a Real True Christian" A Real True Christian is a Christian that has not yet been caught lying, stealing, cheating on his spouse, engaging in gay , bedding with prostitutes, molesting children, bearing false witness, swearing, being publicly intoxicated, smoking weed or any other multitude of sins that the Real True Christian had formerly been accusing others of committing. After being exposed, the offending individual becomes a Not A Real True Christian.

There are SOooo many versions of “Christianity”, Islam, Buddhism that one should not (IMO) condemn the whole group that needs magical people or events to feel good. That’s like condemning all whites for killing ALL the native Americans, or hating blacks for one crooked black person- it’s all silly (and pathetic) to generalize in this manner! There are ethical and honest in all theocratic beliefs, same as there are for atheists/agnostics! Some atheists forget to have better ethics than the religion they are generally condemning. Yes, there are some just plain bad people- religion aside.

Christianity, as it is called, is really a type of generic tribalism. There are almost as many definitions of Christianity as there are Christians, and I am not sure I have ever met two of them that agreed on everything about their religion. Many aren't even sure of what it is they are "supposed" to believe. Ever been to a library and looked at the selves of bible commentaries? I don't think there have ever been two trained theologians who have completely agreed on what the bible means. In fact, they will often provide several suggestions as to what a biblical passage might mean. The mixture of books, known as collectively as the Bible, when examined together is more of a mystery than a coherent scripture, and so lends itself to a myriad of subjective interpretations. Christianity is a conceptual tribalism without agreement, but sadly, with a lot of judgment.
The good "Christians" that I have known never seem to take the Bible too seriously.

Christianity is a cult based on the idea that utter submission of life and liberty to an ancient, xenocidal, capricious, jealous fertility god will buy you an eternal life of servitude and condemn everyone who disagrees with you to eternal punishment.
What is not to love?

Personally I sincerely doubt even Christ himself would be a Christian. The sayings of Christ are always paradoxical and always seemingly a good path to follow. Everything Christian contradicts everything Christ is reported to have uttered. I believe the sayings are closely accurate since the writers did not, could not possess such highly evolved wisdom. It is the fundamentalists of every creed who lack the ability to conceive abstractly. To make concrete what is meant as symbolic is the curse of all creeds. George Bernard Shaw had an interesting concept. The ability to think symbolically was an evolution leap forward. As it underlies the theory of evolution, we see in this era the struggle between those who can think symbolically against those who cannot. How long this competition will continue is unknown, and as to which side wins out, I believe the higher abstract thinkers and those who can grasp thr paradoxical will triumph. The same goes for the quality of empathy.

Keep in mind though that according to the bible (since its the only "historical document" of Christ) Jesus said he did not come to bring peace, but war. He also said he held to the letter of the law ie the old Testament

@ashortbeauty see here for 50 asshole things said by Jesus, with bible references [dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.co.uk]

@ashortbeauty As I mentioned above, take that sentence symbolically then apply it to yourself. As for the letter of the law ie, the old testament look at the context of the entire encounter. The law of the old testament, what is it? The importance of that understanding will give some interpretation to his having said that. To which letter of the law is he referencing. To whom is he speaking? Also, there are other accounts of the sayings of Christ which were left out of the Cannon, as they were too profound to be understood.. I suggest a reading of the Gospel of St Thomas, which was left out when the Council of Nicea Circa 365 AD gathered together high ranking officials of the then various competing interpretations of the Catholic Church and they decided amongst many various writings concerning the first century what to put in and what to leave out. Thanks for commenting on my post.

@LenHazell53 If you take the time and read them without prejudice, then you might, just might see through these modern misconceptions. Furthermore,I suggest you read the philosopher Kierkegaard then Nietzsche. Follow that up with the essays by Heidegger on thought and being. Then the poetry of Rilke and Holderlin. It will take a decade to grasp, then return with something of value rather than opinions. True opinions and short comments are fun and I do it myself quite often. But when it comes to a matter of a thought out post, you might take time to provide a thoughtful response. I will go to the blog, as you suggested. This will be fun. Thanks for sharing that info.

@LenHazell53 I read the blog of Mr. Wells as you suggested. Now read the first chapter of Heidegger's essay called 'Thought, Language. Poetry. It's online as a pdf file. Compare his writing with Heidegger. As for the depth and length of the disparity between discourses, I will leave you to that comparison. Oh, by the way, Mr. Well’s writing truly is elementary. But then hopefully he has an agent who advised him to write that for the sake of sales. Otherwise, if this is an example of the level of thinking he can reach, then I can only say, everyone goes as far as they can.

@philosophy the laws of the old Testament were to basically corral in people's thinning to one right way and many wrong ways of living. It took away choice and replaced it with murderous acts of treachery.

While your to do list is much appreciated maybe take a step down from time to time to learn how to better approach people.

And you completely skipped over our Lord coming to bring war, not peace. Even if taken symbolically (which I shouldn't have to argue since to never responded) why bring turmoil instead of enlightenment, togetherness, or wonder?

@philosophy The Gospel of Thomas was not left out of the Canon of scripture at the councilS (plural) of Nicea and the Council of Ankara, it was left out (And destroyed to the Best of their efforts) because it undermined the power of the church too much, as were the gospels of the disciples, the gospel of Mary, the gospel of Judas, the apocrypha of Peter and dozens of others.

@philosophy Either the words of the bible mean what they say or they don't.
If they do the bible is an evil book, old and testament and if it were not a religious text would probably be banned.
If they don't, what is the point, it means none of it can be trusted, all of it it open to cherry picking and reinterpretation into whatever you want and can be made to say precisely the opposite of what it does say, who would want that? Oh yes a powerful church with enormous wealth and a a billion gullible sheeple following them, ask a silly question.

We have nothing but the Bible to say that this Jesus guy ever existed, and nothing we have was written during his lifetime (or for almost a century afterward). None of it was written by anyone who could have known him IF he existed. Why bother to follow such nonsense?

@AtlGeekWoman There is mention by the Roman/Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (A.D. 37 – c. 100) was a Jewish historian born in Jerusalem. In a passage from his work Antiquities 20:200, he writes as follows: Having such a character ["rash and daring" in the context], Ananus thought that with Festus dead and Albinus still on the way, he would have the proper opportunity. Convening the judges of the Sanhedrin, he brought before them the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ, whose name was James, and certain others. He accused them of having transgressed the law and delivered them up to be stoned. But those of the city residents who were deemed the most fair-minded and who were strict in observing the law were offended at this. Accordingly, they secretly contacted the king [Herod Agrippa II], urging him to order Ananus to desist from any more such actions, for he had not been justified in what he had already done. Some of them even went to meet Albinus, who was on his way from Alexandria, and informed him that Ananus had no authority to convene the Sanhedrin without his consent. Convinced by these words, Albinus wrote in anger to Ananus, threatening him with punishment. And King Agrippa, because of this, deposed him from the high priesthood, in which he had ruled for three months. (There is no mention of divinity and such. Nor any of what later was written by Paul. It was this man, Paul who created Christianity with its hell and heaven. A man who was a murderer). You might take a read from the philosopher Nietzsche on Paul. He utterly destroys him and everything he stood for. You will find it very interesting.

@philosophy That mention is in a passage that most scholars consider to be a later addition to the text. I'm already convinced that Paul was a disgusting excuse for a human and author of most "Christianity."

As history shows, it can be problematic but I see it as a mixed bag. There have always been interesting individuals within the church who have taken the time to record their thoughts formed during a life of contemplation. I am talking about a deeply personal perspective rather than parroting the institutional dogma by rote. I occasionally find philosophical gems within it all. I find it difficult, even pointless to attempt meaningful engagement with extreme dogmatics and fundy's. They tend to shut down conversations because they do not participate with an open mind. When faced with disrespect from others in response to my declared atheism I tell them to deal with it and reflect upon whatever it is of their own condition that led them to such behaviour.

Christianity is the biggest group of hypocrites, liars, and 2 faced people you will ever meet. I'm so glad I saw the light finally. I didn't realize how closed minded I was until about 3 mouths ago. I'm free from the dogma and never going back.

I will never become a Christian because of the teaching that salvation is by faith, not actions. It seems that Christians believe that Ghandi and Einstein are in hell, while John Gotti is in heaven. Wherever the souls of Ghandhi and Einstein might be is surely good enough for me.

The thing about Christianity as the religion is that it goes against what Emmanuel taught. Not once do we see him set foot in a church nor do we ever hear him speak of the "sins" of anyone EXCEPT the religious leaders. From what I can figure, if the Bible has truth in it then Christianity is the work of the devil because the God of the New Testament had a message of the divine within yourself, of the ability to heal. From what I understand it is the devils work to force people to do what is right or be punished so the good God sent his "son" to tell the people they have free will. All thy need, they already have. Live life and love one another was what I got from the message of the Christ but not from church leaders.
The bible itself tells people not to change a single word, not even a comma and yet it was translated by the churches into English? It says we have free will. There are only 10 commandments not 10 years of college to understand the laws. One should beware of false prophets. How many people know the history of the bible? Who wrote it? When it was written? Who decided what to leave in and what to leave out? In my opinion if a believer does not even know how the book ended up in their hands then they have not right do to profess it to be of divine nature yet many preachers do not even have a clue and cannot answer questions outside of their own training. SImple questions like why does the bible say God created "men and women, male and female he created them." before mentioning Adam and Eve?
Yes, Christianity is very bad. It teaches people they have no individual identity outside of Christ/God and almost all genocide has been committed in the name of God. If anything turns people off to the possibility of a divine and loving creator it is Christianity!

Like every other religious idea, it is both stupid and dogmatic!

Is it a bad thing to worship a murder, command other to kill gay people?

It's terrible and it causes people to do terrible things.

Christianity, like any religion, encourages belief in that which is neither evident nor rational. It discourages any attempt to seek truth that could contradict it, and has held back scientific progress. It encourages discrimination and justifies the indefensible. While some will claim that some good things may come of faith, I think that overall the negatives far outweigh any potential benefits. The world would be a better place without it.

Religions are the worst thing ever inflicted on humanity and every thing else.
They seek to subjugate and control the human will.
Fuck religions.

Christianity has one redeeming feature. Every 25th of December, the Christians are relatively nice to each other!

The most damaging things about Christianity in my opinion are:

Firstly the way in which in the evangelical world, it's so much a "me" thing, "my personal relationship with Jesus" and so forth. This causes so much tunnel vision about the plight of others -something the bible itself is not silent about - and makes it the badge of right-wing politicians keen to feather their own nests.

Secondly, making "sins" out of things which don't affect anyone else negatively is wrong. I have no right to tell anyone what other consenting adult they should or shouldn't have whatever kind of sex with. I have no right to tell a woman whether or not she should carry a to term. But Christians, especially political ones, think that they can apply their rules (which they invariably break themselves when it suits them) to everyone else including those who do not share their opinions.

Thirdly, perhaps most importantly, I think the whole concept of vicarious redemption is obnoxious. If you owe me a sum of , you can't pay, but your uncle hands me the that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. But the same doesn't apply to crimes. If you rape and murder my child, I will not be happy about your uncle taking the punishment, you should, however sorry you were. I would be even less happy if your uncle simultaneously took the punishment for crimes committed against other people which let the perpetrators get away. Yet that in principle is what happens all the time in Christianity.

Oh yes and the whole sin thing and my disgrace is supposed to flow my 0-great grandmother having a chat with a snake - who incidentally was right (about not dying) where was wrong. What kind of justice is that supposed to be?

ANd if I don't believe all that crap I get a free ticket to the -running brimstone barbie.

"Good news"

The Bible was a book written as a means of control. Make no mistake, the people who wrote it also had/have their religion, but the lesser people of this world are not welcome to share it.

As such, Christianity in my opinion is a very bad thing, nothing more than a vector for slavery.

Man creates. Man destroys. Man created religion. An apocalyspe is predicted in many religions yes? Why strive when the end game designates otherwise?

it's delusional of course. sometimes it causes its practitioners to become nasty, even violent.

g

All religions are simply how civilizations, throughout history, explained how the universe works, until science and technology came into being for them.

There are many books and sections in the bible that are a great read. The gospels especially are excellent literate. Christianity, like all religions can have a tremendous uplifting and beneficial social impact on their societies. Like guns its not the item that's the problem its how the item is used.

Yes faiths are evil THE OPPOSITE OF live. ..xians are bribing all with alleged heaven post mortem and making real hell of life on earth with theocracy creationism fascism of illegal war crime profiteering polluter oil poisoning of entire planet. ...all religions are WRONG

Upon second thought... I’d rather hump my neighbor as long as she is willing than kill her it’s lots more fun and a damnsite more pleasant

Vhk47 Level 3 May 15, 2018

More people kill and are killed because of religions which only proves they are all full of crap

Vhk47 Level 3 May 15, 2018

Yeah, can we not think for ourself the way we think? I was an ex- christian ; this year on february i announced to my christian family that i am an ATHEIST. I did not know where i find the strength to speak boldly about what i truely think. Now i am in World -war 3 with them. I have no problem with lesbians and guys even though i am straight. If would be possible , i would even have been a lesbian myself. Yes , i am attracted to what a woman thinks and i am happy when we two have the same thoughts ; however when comes in mind , in MY opinion is a no -no between two women and two men if we are honest. the ugly truth is a vagina is for a penis and the other way around . I it nature. Concerning, CHristianity i personally find it to be non-sense since the BIble ist sexist, racist and very contradicting. My christian mother raised me to be ashamed of my sexuality as long as i can remember ; not only my sexuality but also all that has to do with sex. To me , is the brainwashing of minds of human beings . Even though i am not a christian anymore, i do find myself saying'JeESUS CHRIST' when i am shocked. I did not even think. Jesus is good man , was since he lived 2000 years ago and i respect him . However christianity , itself , is nonsense since human beings make Jesus , a man , above their level . I know we all have light and darkness inside us. He find his true core to shine out ; if he can do it so can we , ATHEIST.

A vagina is free to decide her choices. ...you are ignorant and wrong to post any penis belongs in any vagina. ...humans are complex endocrinological evolving beings. ...our hormones and brains vary widely so much so that some people are born with both vagina and penis some ovaries do not decend into labia and grow into testicles inside a growing scrotum. ...choose whatever lover you might or masturbate during any safe fantasy but don't pretend to be an Atheist dictating binary sex obligations

First of all, if i do not believe in GOd , I definately have the right to say
I AM AN ATHEIST, second of all, use your brain before you speak, third of all NATURALLY a woman and a man complete each other!

@delilah What basis do you have, in other words what evidence do you have that a woman and a man complete each other?

@Willreef two women can NOT naturally give BIRTH to a baby after sex; two men can NOT give birth to a baby after sex too.

@delilah the choice to give birth DOES NOT DEFINE WOMEN and only bigots believe lesbians are deviants. ...it is the bigot who is the deviant pretending a vagina is not complete without a penis .....infertile women are under no obligation to be ed nor are girls subject to male entitlement. ....this idiocy by "delilah" is pure patriarchy no doubt remnants of xian brainwashing. ...our Atheism is not simple departure from church. ...our Atheism is critical thinking in action and zero genuine Atheists would spew obligations of vaginae to be penetrated

@delilah So you only think a woman and a man can only be complete if they produce a child (for my analogy lets assume they are married.) What about a couple that can't reproduce and use a surrogate ? Is the man then somehow complete with the surrogate and not his wife? There's a myriad of examples I could use. But I think the problem stems from your limited understanding of humans, in every manner. Your definition of complete is so, so very incomplete.

@Willreef misogynistic bigotry by Delilah leads me to consider she is faking Atheism here a real zealot for zygotes wanting all women to stay pregnant

@GreenAtheist Yeah, I find it very difficult to believe Delilah is not trolling. I find even more difficult to believe that "she" is an atheist and holds such entirely backwards views. The reason I put she in quotes is because it could easily be a man trolling. My hope is that this community finds a way to deal with the trolls so our time is used to move the world forward rather than wallowing through their shit.

@Willreef i do not know all about the world and i would definitely not say i am intelligent enough to teach. NO, i would not say. I would say though, All human beings have to right to live as long as they are not harming themselves and others. Atheist do not believe in god because they are logical thinker which i am fond of. NOw if we put the hatry aside , we all came from our mothers and fathers. YES, even you came from your mother, woman, and your father, man. Correct me , if i am wrong. Our exists are due to our parents ,mothers and fathers and it is not my opinion but a FACT. Whether you accept it (fact or not ) , the fact is still the fact.

@Willreef, @GreenAtheist , ''all women to stay pregnant'' is not what i say . You misunderstood me. I said all human beings have the right to live FREELY as long as they do NOT harm themselves and others. The relationship between two woman can be (MUST NOT) sister-ship, friendship and or whatever-ship but NOT sexual-relation . THe same stays true for the relationship between two man.

@delilah so you want bedroom police to stop gays in love and stop lesbians in love....do you really want to fuck a gay man STRAIGHTEN HIM WITH YOUR VAGINA AND HAVE A GAY CHILD ?????

@delilah I can't have a conversation with you unless you proofread your comments so they make logical sense.

@Willreef child birth is a good way that a woman and man complete themselves. What proof do you have that they do not?

@Willreef If your parents thought like you do, we all would not need to suffer through your ignorant comments because you would have never been born. I support freedom of sexuality for gays but the fact is that if everyone was gay our species would die out. Oh and by the way if being gay is so great then why are gays always trying to convert straight people into being gay? sometimes people make being gay almost as bad as a religion trying to convert the world.

@Willreef What makes you think atheists are moving the world forward when there isn't enough of us to fill a high school football field! lol. I do not like religion but at least they stand together against atheists, we can't even stand together against religion and we are the minority.

As with all things, an idea whether its religious or not, can be manipulated by bad people. I have met some very dedicated christians who really believe in what they are doing and are genuinely nice people...but there are so many that cherry pick the doctrine to serve their own purposes. Through history bad people have used this religion to do some really bad things...and today those kind of things are still occuring. When you use religion as your manipulation device, you are really controlling people on a deep level .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.