Agnostic.com

5 8

LINK New Rule: The Lone Danger | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - YouTube

Phones, and "screen time", tend to make people feel more isolated...

snytiger6 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No surprise. I choose to deliberately avoid the whole phenomenon, don't have a smartphone, try to do as much face to face and voice phone calls as possible. I still struggle with depression, and sometimes loneliness, but my choices allow me to do much better emotionally, than I would if I followed the herd, and acted like the mainstream. I do use online dating, but that is by necessity, even tho I know that it is tough on me emotionally, as it is for anybody. But, on the other hand, finding a steady dating partner, which I have found a few times, as well as making some new friends from there, has made it worth it and a net plus in my life.

Some of the video's content reminds me of the near futuristic stage play that I saw many years ago, Marjorie Prime, in which we live in a world where every person is given an AI hologram companion to replace their dead relative or partner, so they can continue to feel comforted by them. At the end of the play, all of the living characters are dead, and the AI companions remain in the home, talking to each other...

I have a smart phone, but do not have any social media apps on it... not even for this site. I only so social media on the desktop computer, and then only for a limited amount of time.

I remember one of my nieces had her smartphone and it would beep a notification of some kind every 2-5 minutes. I just could not live my life being constantly interrupted like that all the time.

Technology came with the promise of making life easire, but in reality it has for most people, only made it more stressful and complicated.

@snytiger6 Exactly, I do not want to be constantly interrupted, distracted, or even tempted to be often stopping my thoughts or my attention, to check out what is going on with the internet or social media, or even phone messages every damned waking minute. It really does alter and disrupt one's thought process, mental functioning, and, of course, our behavior towards others that we are around in the same physical space, as well as our attitudes towards others. It makes us more selfish, more impatient, both with others, and with ourselves, and also speeds up the pace at which we live. All of those things seem to me to be negative, toxic, and self destructive. And I have no doubt that the added stress will prematurely age us and damage our health.

The large number of car crashes has been around a long time. Many highways have signs designating not an entrance. In Germany this scenario was called ghost drivers as many were at night with no lights on. It is often a way for some angry person to commit suicide and take others with him. An (and maybe more than one) airliner was crashed because the pilot was suicidal. At least with drugs there is often only one involved. One would think, with a population of over 8 billion of us, there would be lots of chances for social activities but just the opposite seems to be happening. These days most social connections come from sites as agnostic.com.

The Lone Danger is looking for Toronto.

Given the initial reaction to covid by our government was to lie, lie, lie, about its dangers. And to facilitate the spread through multiple rallies around the country. I was very disappointed to hear Maher imply there was an over reaction to covid…..👀

Few people really paid much attention to Covid and its evolution. The initial infection has a 2-3% fatality rate, but soon variants had lower fatality rates.

It is kind of like how the initial "Spanish Flu" from WWI was very deadly, but subsequent variants of H1N1 in later years, were not as deadly as the original H1N1, which was referred to as the "Spanish Flu". Just for historical accuracy, the so-called "Spanish Flu" is believed to have actually started in the U.S., but the government kept the press from reporting about it, and it spread world wide and into the war zone. The first country to report on the flu was Spain, which is how the "Spanish Flu" got labeled as such.

Given the amount of people that are vaccinated, I 100% disagree with your suggesting that few people paid attention. Fact is, most people paid attention. The only difference is some of us got poked and put a mask on to do our part to curb the spread, while others chose to be selfish assholes and facilitate the spread. 🤷🏻♂️

Not only in America either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:734129
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.