Agnostic.com

3 8

LINK Alabama priest who fled to Italy with teen he later married is expected to be defrocked -- NBC News

An archbishop said the Vatican will likely pursue the man’s official dismissal from the priesthood.

MOBILE, Ala. — State records show that a suspended Alabama priest recently married the 18-year-old woman he fled to Italy with this summer, and an archbishop said Wednesday that he expects the Vatican to pursue the man’s official dismissal from the priesthood.

A marriage certificate filed Monday in Mobile County shows that Alex Crow, a 30-year-old Catholic priest in south Alabama, married the 18-year-old. Crow left the country in late July with the teen who is a recent graduate of McGill-Toolen High School. Crow was not an employee at the school but sometimes visited theology classes there, news outlets reported. The marriage certificate indicates the woman turned 18 in June.

Archbishop Thomas J. Rodi announced in July that he had suspended Crow and forbidden him from acting, dressing, or presenting himself as a priest. Rodi later said he saw no way for Crow to return to the priesthood.

“The recent news of Crow’s civil marriage only confirms the Archbishop’s judgment. Archbishop Rodi anticipates that the Vatican will eventually laicize Alex Crow,” read a statement issued by the Archdiocese of Mobile

The district attorney in Mobile County earlier this month announced that it had closed an investigation into criminal wrongdoing in the pair’s relationship. News outlets reported that Mobile County District Attorney Keith Blackwood said the young woman came to a meeting with an attorney and declined to answer questions.

snytiger6 9 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's the South...my first brother-in-law at 28 married a 14 year old, with her parents consent ( they had a small 3-bedroom with 17 people living in it, and wanted a body gone....after the wedding of course his 6'4" self moved in too.....
By the time she was 18 they had 4 kids.
Some compassionate doctor finally talked her into getting her tubes tied praise gawd. Divorced at 21 and the BIL of course never helped with anything.
Did I mention every time they went out dancing she would sing with the band and then run off with one of them (usually the guitar player) and come home a week or so later? Trying to have a teenage life, poor thing......

My dad at 22 married my mom the day after her 15th birthday. He then of course went on to molest at least 3 young girls in the family, one of them being me....

Men in their 20s preying on teenage girls is a huge problem in the US, and for the most part it's ignored except for outlying cases like this.

I'd certainly hope so, and if I were the girls parents I'd have his butt arrested. He only got away with it because it was done in the south, they tolerate that crap down there.

Paul Walker, OJ Simpson and numerous others got away with it. There do not seem to be any grounds for arresting him, slimy as it may have been.

I believe in Southern states, the age of consent is or was until recently lower, which is why it happens more often in the South.

@snytiger6 and in most states it's still legal for parents to consent to a daughter's underage marriage. There is a movement to change this.

@JonnaBononna I would hope so. Almost all of those marriages end in either tragedy or divorce.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:737970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.