Agnostic.com

16 2

What do people in this forum think about "bad" words?

I just discovered one option in the settings that made me cringe or giggle (I haven't decided yet):

"Automatically replace "bad" words with ***"

I have a problem with swearing or vulgarities.

If the other person doesn't know an insult, the person cannot feel offended. If the person already knows ...

I remember the advertising of a piece called the vaginal monologues ... The term "cunt" was replaced by "the c-word".
I believe the sting can only be taken out by inflators usage.
This happened in French where the equivalent "con" is very banal.

I just add a little anecdote. When we, my then wife and I, moved to Australia we both went back to university to acquire some teaching qualitication. After finsihing the course we qualified as high school teachers and had a reasonable grasp of English. But it was the sort of "lingo" you use within educational institutions. Our exposure to the "real" linguistic environment had been limited and we would have failed even the most basic colloquial language tests. My wife had never learned English before migrating to Australia at the age of 33. Furthermore she had virtually no knowledge of any vulgarism even in her second languge.

Her first teaching job was in a rural town in Queensland, the year was 1991. After one of her first lessons, French or German, a boy, age range 12-14, came up to her and said that another boy had called her "somehing" As my wife didn't understand the expression but was keen to learn, she asked the boy to repeat: "cunt" the boy said "red cunt". My wife took a note and thanked him.

When she came home, she asked. At the time I couldn't even reply: "How the fuck would I know?" I simple said that I ignored the term and checked the dictionary. The search took a little longer because she wasn't quite sure about the spelling. "Red cunt" didn't yield any results. Finally we found: "Cunt***". The trouble was that we had to search in another dictionary as she had never heard the German term either.

PontifexMarximus 8 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Apparently the term "Black Hole" was rejected because of its obscene connotation. The proponent is supposed to have added: "But these black hole don't have hair around them!"

It's just a sound coming out of a person's mouth, it's probably not the word itself but how it's being used although many people have been trained to auto-react to hearing those words. If they were insulted with curse words in a pleasant tone by someone who spoke a language they couldn't understand, they probably wouldn't take offense. And sometimes we take offense even when there's no 'bad' words, we just don't like what's being said or how it's being said.

zing Level 6 May 5, 2018

There is no such thing as a "Bad" word, word is just a symbol to signify a meaning.
Only the intent with which use a word can be negative or positive and even then a word is nothing until heard, interpreted and reacted to. You are always free to ignore or not listen.
The meaning and impact of words alters too over time.
Uttering Strueth, bugger or blimey would have at one time carried a blasphemey charge, now few people even know what they mean, other than as silly "swear" word replacements

by the way ever had the word canalboat replaced with c****boat?

I don't think words themselves are bad. There is just poor usage made of words.

Wow....emigrated to Australia at the age of 33 without any knowledge of vulgarism? Comparable to being being thrown into the pool to learn how to swim! lol!

Any of you old enough may remember a natural history show called Crocodile Hunter with an Australian called Steve Irwin. Now he was renowned for saying "Crikey!" all the time, the funny bit of course that it took the producers a lot of work to get him to say "Crikey" rather than the more common Australian vernacular "F***".

Kimba Level 7 May 5, 2018

Yes, when he died I remember film of drunken aussies running in to the sea armed with cricket bats and poles looking for stingrays to beat up too.

@LenHazell53 The stupid thing is they killed him when they pulled out the spike, he would have survived if they'd left it alone and taken him to hospital.

I think the shock value of profanities have been in decline since the 1940's. 'Bad' words have slowly entered into our everyday discourse and with more common use they have lost much of their original shock value. Still, a well placed expletive can shock, amuse, or be very snarky.

cava Level 7 May 5, 2018

Funnily enough I am considered well spoken by most as in I do not use offensive language often, the reason that I find that funny is I cannot consider words to be offensive.
A rose by any other name would smell like a porcupine or something like that.
So, F bomb C word etc,
may as well just say the word and we should all just get over it.

I don't really give a shit about using most bad words as long as they aren't directed at other people with the intention to be hurtful or abusive (e.g. gay or racial slurs or abusive language like "fuck you, asshole" ).

..But if I stub my toe, "god fucking damn it, you asshole sidewalk"

smox Level 4 May 5, 2018

Exactly, except that in Thailand I try to limit my cussing to French, Creole, and Spanish. Once I gave an expletive in French and someone nearby translated it, so now I try to only use Creole, although now I sometimes use Thai cuss words as automatic reflex.

I'm guilty of using this option. If you don't like it f*** you.

If used appropriately I don't see the problem

I find people who believe culture can be changed by linguistics irksome, its just a means of communication nothing more, internal change has shit to do with language, its a lazy inept fix for a deeper problem.

I'm a fairly foul-mouthed individual in casual settings. I'm glad the setting is there to protect those who'd rather not be exposed to the C-word and the F-bomb.

vita Level 7 May 5, 2018

Define "bad" words - could vary by culture and context. I prefer creative insults to common vulgarities probably because it's more interesting to listen to,

This comes from this site. It provides people with the option of having the "bad" words replaced by "***". I thought especially here it's ludicrous ...

oh for fuck's sake words are just made up human constructed noises. If you let them offend you then they have power over you. I refuse to let a human sound or written marking (word) hold the power to upset me. Besides as Billy Connelly says "its not true that people use swear words because they have limited vocabulary. I know lots of words but I still love the word fuck".

If just used in common text and/or speech, not directed towards someone; than I personally don't mind. I myself, and multiple studies have shown that people who swear or use profanity more often are more trustworthy and honest. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it, because if someone is saying what immediately comes to mind or is giving raw emotion in speech; then they're not going to censor their language.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73922
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.