Agnostic.com

7 11

LINK Families in disbelief after hundreds of bodies found buried behind Mississippi jail | PBS NewsHour

The discovery of 215 bodies buried in unmarked graves behind a jail outside of Jackson, Mississippi, has left a community in disbelief. The families are angry they were never notified of the deaths and how their loved ones are buried in graves marked by just a metal rod and a number. Amna Nawaz discussed the disturbing details that have emerged with Bettersten Wade and attorney Ben Crump.

Read the Full Transcript
Notice: Transcripts are machine and human generated and lightly edited for accuracy. They may contain errors.

Amna Nawaz:

The gruesome discovery of 215 bodies buried in unmarked graves behind a jail outside of Jackson, Mississippi, has left a community in disbelief.

The families are angry their loved ones were buried in so-called pauper's graves marked by just a metal rod and a number and families were never notified of their deaths. The startling revelation came months after the mother of 37-year-old Dexter Wade filed a missing persons report last March. It wasn't until August when Bettersten Wade learned her son had been hit by a police car and killed, then buried in that same cemetery.

For more about this case and the disturbing details that have emerged since then, I am joined now by Bettersten Wade and civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who is representing her and other families.

Welcome to you both.

Ms. Wade, can I just begin by saying how very sorry we are for your loss, and thank you for joining us.

Bettersten Wade, Mother of Dexter Wade: Thank you all too.

Amna Nawaz:

I understand, Ms. Wade, you contacted the Jackson Police Department after reporting that your son was missing several times, even after he had been buried without your knowledge.

Give us a sense of what they told you over those many months and what those months were like for you, not knowing where your son was.

Bettersten Wade:

Well, it was devastating to me, because I didn't know where he were.

And then I was calling them. They didn't have no information to let me know, have they found any information? All the details that I gave them for leads, they never came back to me to say, well, that lead led to something that we can work with. And I just couldn't believe that he had disappeared off the face of Earth and nobody knows where he at.

And it was just horrible for me. And every day I wake up, I just want — I just look, look, look, just looking for him, just out in the streets looking for him. And, I mean, that's heartbreaking for a mother, and can't say hello, don't know how to get in touch with him. That is a horrible thing for a mother.

Amna Nawaz:

Mr. Crump, after it was discovered that Dexter had been killed, that he had been buried in this grave, his body was exhumed in November. There was an autopsy conducted. He was given a proper burial.

But I also understand a wallet was found in his front pocket with his I.D., his home address, his insurance card. What's the explanation officials give for why no one was notified he had been killed and buried?

Benjamin Crump, Attorney For Wade and Other Families: There really is no explanation that they have offered.

They claimed that they tried to reach out to Ms. Bettersten. And you should know that Ms. Bettersten is the named plaintiff in a lawsuit against the Jackson Police Department, because they killed her brother three years earlier. Now, she went through two criminal trials, had several press conferences.

So when they called her house, if they did call her house, like they claim, they knew where she lived. They knew how to get in contact with her if they really wanted to notify her that her son Dex had been hit by a police car. So it is very suspicious that they would just bury him in a pauper's grave because they said they could not identify his next of kin.

Ms. Bettersten does not accept it. And because of her tenacity, it has exposed all of these loved ones being dropped in a hole in a bag behind a Mississippi jail.

Amna Nawaz:

Mr. Crump, the Jackson mayor did say there were mistakes. He also just said that Dexter Wade's death was a tragic accident. He said there was no malicious intent in failing to notify the family.

We know the police department has new notification procedures right now. What recourse are you specifically seeking right now in these — for these families you represent?

Benjamin Crump:

We're seeking to have the federal Department of Justice come in and do an investigation to make sure that each and every one of these citizens, disproportionately Black citizens, whose lives matter will be identified, their families notified, and them given a proper funeral.

Amna Nawaz:

And I should say, Ms. Wade, I mentioned families because you are not alone here. There's been in the last few months the discovery at least two other men; 40-year-old Mario Moore and 39-year-old Jonathan Hankins were also killed and buried in that same cemetery and their families not notified for months.

From your perspective, Ms. Wade, what do you want to see happen now?

Bettersten Wade:

Well, first of all, I feel like that the city need to give me an acknowledgement to say that, hey, I'm sorry. I mean, just give me some kind of closure and explain to me what actually happened to my son on that freeway that night.

How did it actually occur, you know, just what went down, the events that went down with it? And I want to see justice. I want to see justice done for this, because it's wrong. It's wrong to take somebody's child and bury them in a field and take — and I didn't even get a last chance to say anything to my child, or I didn't even get a last chance to just say, babe, I love you, just to look down on them and say, babe, I love you.

They haven't even came and called me and said, Ms. Wade, could you come down and we explain to you what happened? I mean, I haven't even got a word. And so how do that feel? That makes you feel like they are guilty. They are guilty of a crime, because they can't tell you what happened.

Amna Nawaz:

Ms. Wade, do I understand correctly that the mayor, no one from the police department has reached out to you to explain what happened to your son?

Bettersten Wade:

No, no one have reached out to me to say — to explain it, to explain what happened to my son.

But I did at least have city supervisors — the supervisors, the board supervisors to say that they hated what happened to me. But I haven't had said anything — nobody from JPD, Jackson Police Department, have came to me and acknowledged me.

Amna Nawaz:

Mr. Crump, the story gets even more disturbing with this discovery of 215 bodies in that cemetery. What do we know about those bodies?

Benjamin Crump:

We know, based on the records from the coroner's office, that, since 2016, in the last eight years, we can identify 215 individuals that were buried behind that jail, and their families have not been notified.

Furthermore, Mr. Wade was number 672. That means there are 671 other people buried behind that jail marked with only a number.

Amna Nawaz:

Mr. Crump and Ms. Bettersten Wade, I thank you so much for joining us tonight. I have a feeling we will be following up on this story in the weeks and months ahead.

Thank you so much for joining us. Appreciate it.

Benjamin Crump:

Thank you.

HippieChick58 9 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is just jail in one town. How many more exist?

What's worse is this first came to light in early January (or at least that's when I saw it) and it's barely hit the major news outlets anywhere since then. I mean, 215+ is an astounding number! This should be shocking. They should be asking questions every night on the news. Then again, Mississippi has a history of burying people they find inconvenient and clearly their habits haven't changed since the civil rights era. And as a nation, we've become accustomed to mass killings of our children so I guess there's not much further we can go on the apathy scale.

Your comment is as bleak as the ending of the movie Chinatown. The reality of Mississippi is astounding and it's stories like this that make me wish the north had just let the fuckers secede from the Union.

@silverotter11 That was the 70s, right? We seem to have been so much more aware as a country back then. I shall now be even more bleak... I've lived in several Northern states and found the cancer in all of them, too. I just didn't realize how much so.

@Lauren We all knew it was there, it just was not the main focus. There were the periodic race riots and flare ups but the rest of the country watched the spot where it happened and went, "that's there not here". Little white suburb just northeast of Philadelphia on the Jersey side of the Dalaware River where I spent my first 20 years gave me no clue to the level of racism and bigotry in my own mother and the aunts and uncles.
At 20 I left there and moved to Seattle, what became clear was whites just seemed to need to hate on 'the other'. Not many blacks or Puerto Ricians but many Asians and Natives People so that's who the whites picked on. Now of course I'm on the east side of the Cascades and it's all those from south of the border and Blacks (this includes Haitians and those with dark skin from any where).
In 1984, while living in Seattle, I met a guy through bicycling, he worked in a bike shop in the Fremont section of Seattle. We started dating, one day my roommate, a Latino woman, said to me, I shit you not, "Ya know he's black?"
We were together for 15 years, so I became more aware of the subtle ways of racist people and of course my mom blew a gasket, which sort of went a long way to explaining many things I'd wondered about her.

@silverotter11 Yeah, it was a real learning curve with the subtleties of northern bigotry, let alone cross-minority bigotry - but it really sucks that you had to cope with your immediate family that way.

I was raised in Pennsylvania, too. I started seeing a Black man when I was 16 and it was an eye-opener learning how to behave when driving around or how to cope when refused service in restaurants and such. His best friend, also Black, had a PR girlfriend and one night a White guy at the club took an interest in her. She declined and he was pissed, so when we were leaving, White guy and a group of friends ran him over. He lived, but barely. It was stressful for all of us and eventually a biracial guy we know died by suicide from the racial pressures and it was just too much for me to consider having kids in that atmosphere. It took me decades to forgive myself because, fuck, I was barely 20. He went to Cali and I went to Florida.

I moved back to PA briefly in my twenties. Had a third-floor walk-up in a beautiful deco building in a pretty neighborhood. Wasn't there long when a Black family moved nearby and shortly thereafter a cross was burned in their yard. A big one. Since it's become redder since then, it's probably even worse now. I think the hypocracy of it all is worse than the blatant Southern bigotry because at least you see it coming. The only thing I miss about PA is that apartment.

@Lauren WOW! An Art Deco apartment!!! How lucky! I do love some of those old 'row' homes.
The rest of the story is pure shitty hell. Guess we got some stories! I never did understand Black English but for the most part my guy spoke proper English, his Mom drilled into him the importance of speaking well. Sure did not help in the late 1950s when the cops are knockin' you upside the head cause you're in the white section of an area. He was raised in Hayward, that's near Oakland, CA.

I believe this is called southern justice. Best bet would be that the majority are certainly black or Hispanic. That they were killed by the police or lynch mobs. That in Mississippi the probability that anyone will be held accountable and the facts of the cases come out almost nil. And that the facts in this atrocity will never be published for Florida children to read in a history class.

It's Mississippi!

Sadly the first thought that came to mind was the last line of the movie Chinatown - only changed to reflect it's Mississippi not Chinatown.
It's horrifying and disgusting that officials thought this was acceptable, allowed it and probably turned a blind eye. JHC!

Public officials in this country are failing citizens on a daily basis,combined with the arrogant elief that they do not have to inform people about the most basic things.

Nikki Haley needs to learn all about this.

MANY need to learn about this. Hard to imagine, isn't it?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:743682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.