Agnostic.com

40 5

Do you still use religious sayings or phrases?

Do any of y'all use religious phrases and expressions? Such as:

-Doing the lord's work = doing working that's hard but important

-There but for the grace of god go I = I could easily be in that person's shoes if I were unlucky

-Godspeed = good luck and safe travels on your arduous journey

-If the good lord's willing and the creek don't rise = if I have good luck, things will turn out OK

-Let go and let god = Let stuff go and see how it turns out

-God dammit / Go to hell / other "curse" words/phrases

So do you use phrases like these? If so, which ones? Have you found better alternatives? I'm from the South so these and other sayings are part of the vernacular

DayDreamer128 4 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mostly just "jesus christ" when mad, or "oh my god". I get irritated with myself when I do. I try to make a valid effort to avoid it, after the slip ups. I never say "bless you", and sometimes I won't acknowledge when someone says "bless you" to me. If someone sneezes sometimes I just say "are you going to be alright", or "are you going to survive", which is not as quick, or easy, but it gets the job done.

The curse words XD or sometimes ill say bless your heart

I cringe a little when people say 'bless your heart'... Reminds me too much of the old church ladies I used to hug and stuff.

yes.. i say 'god damn'...'oh my fucking god'... 'oh fuck jesus' 'hell yea' and all those other religious sayings i think up at the spur of the moment.

"Lord yes!" ..... and I've never been a religious person.

I still use them, and I don’t feel the need to stop.

You bring up an interesting point. I think many phrases, whether they include the word god or not, are simply a part of our western cultural nomenclature. Like thank-you, that was thoughtful, or when someone sneezes God bless you and Godspead. We've heard those expression since our earliest remembrances, thus we repeat them without think about their implied meaning. Like through-away phrases when we don't don't what else to say. Some of your phrases I use, other are not part of my vocabulary.

I think the Bible is a decent book, much like the writings of Milton, Shakesphear, Homer, Socrates, Plato, Mark Twain, etc. I don't see why quoting the Bible would be any different.

Kryste cry ist alleged baby gawd it never was

Nope ....if I'm heard saying gibberish like gawd or geebush I spell their assumptions away

Yeah. I use "Christ!" when I'm angry at somthing. I use "God Almighty" when I'm amazed at somones stupidity, ironic. I use "Jesus Christ, I've done it again" when I loose my keys. And just "Jesus".... I have to stop there, this amazing. I didnt realise I used religious words so much! haha

I still say "oh my lord", "good lord", and one or two others. It doesn't have to be a reflection of my beliefs concerning religion. It's just language. People like to think that truth comes from language, it's the other way around.

Use to, but every now and again, not to bad.

I do. And then cringe.

Christ yeah! lol

Sure I do. OMG! or JesusChrist! I use often.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74472
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.