Agnostic.com

12 14

Would you want a long distant relationship?

In other news, a 53 year-old man in Pennsylvania wants to start a long-distance relationship with me.

"I'm 70," I replied. "I'm old enough to be your mother. My daughter live here now. I don't want to leave Wenatchee, WA. We live 2,541 miles apart. Don't be ridiculous."

Photo: Sunrise in sunny Wenatchee with Cascade mountains lit up by the rising sun. Shows the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee rivers. Across the Columbia river is Wenatchee, snuggled up against the Cascades. 2/28/2018.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have and do. However, this now depends on the distance, place and person. My last relationship was with a woman who lived in Dallas and I in Seattle. Two months on the phone and then meeting. It took another 8 months to really get to know one another and it was beautiful. That said, no more looong distance but anything within a couple of hours driving time would be fine. For me it's a matter of quality over convenience. Living on an island gives one a certain attitude of having to be more flexible to get what's important in life!

Sure, as long as it was totally open……

Whatever, that means.

I've tried that. Didn't work for me. I don't want it for myself. There are people that adapt well to that situation but that's them.

I personally am not in the frame of mind to seek out a long distance relationship. However if I were to fall in love with someone I met while traveling or they were traveling, and I wanted to see where that led, I'd give it a try, but it would involve being in the same place for that trial period, not carrying on from a distance indefinitely. I'd rather have someone in the flesh to do fun things with - not just spicy phone calls, emails and short visits.

At my age, I'm also not interested in a huge age difference. In my experience, they either just want notches on their bedpost or want a sugar mama. I'd rather have someone who has had similar life experiences as me in the way of music, entertainment and energy level.

@Julie808

Love how you wrote, "I'd rather have someone in the flesh to do fun things with - not just spicy phone calls, emails and short visits."

And: "In my experience, they either just want notches on their bedpost or want a sugar mama. I'd rather have someone who has had similar life experiences as me in the way of music, entertainment and energy level."

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for your thoughtful, wise reply.

@LiterateHiker People do have different experiences. I have learned getting together too soon often means letting 'chemistry' (curb appeal) get the better of one. 'In the flesh' is often literal and that will lead to another mistake too many make. Relationships or more than just flesh, they are companionship, sharing and having a true partner.

@jackjr When I say "in the flesh" I'm actually just meaning physically here to do actual fun activities, whether listening to favorite bands, hiking, swimming, enjoying nature, having someone to talk to in person rather than just distantly online or over the phone.

I'm also of the mind that getting to know someone in a more intellectual sense, knowing whether they would be a good companion, supportive, etc., is wise if one is looking for a life partner.

Pretty sure I'm done trying to seek a life partner, as I seem to do far better on my own than part of a team, gauging from past experiences, but less serious dating or even romantic friendships might be more my speed at this time in my life. I don't see that happening over a distance, but the opportunities here in my small community are slim.

@Julie808 I understood your meaning but often there are several meanings.
It seems women are more able to get along without a male partner. They 'tend' to be better at nurturing and maintaining family ties and that's great. Too many males don't necessarily want another partner (except for 'flesh' desires) and need one as a maid, cook or mother. I'm 'housebroken' and do a better job than most women I know. Still, not connected with family (they live too far away) and, in my immediate family, we were brought up to be self-sufficient. I'm not a nurturer and a pet would not help. Also, I'm fussy in whom I chose to live with. As you said, getting to fully know another is critical. It is what it is!

My relationship with all of you is perfect.

The distance is not a burden but a blessing.

Any time I feel like being with you I will be there.

We enjoy a wonderful balance between not too much in your face and no clean up.

Much love.

Mwah.

Age hasn't ever been a factor for me, either. I don't know that anyone "wants" a long-distance relationship unless they're using it for short-term fun (which could be amusing) or scams (the nastier side of hope).

But I'm open to relocate if circumstances allow it, so I can understand using it as a bridge in a long-term commitment ... not seeking it out, but as an option with the right person. People die or relocate, physicians and service people retire, the garden I loved has been ravaged by our new weather pattern, the house is a lot to take care of without the benefit of people filling it, and the red plague marches relentlessly closer ... so yeah, relocation isn't the burden it once may have seemed if it means enjoying more of the life I have left.

And not in the willy-nilly way he seems to have approached it with you. You're very clearly in love with where and how you live (another beautiful photo!), and the two of you don't seem to have hit it off with so much chemistry that it inspires life-changing events, so how well could he have tried to know you? Blah.

@Lauren

You wrote "the red plague marches relentlessly closer." What is the red plague?

Red ants? MAGA idiots aka Maggots?

@LiterateHiker The red ants I can handle but the Maggots not so much. Yes, you nailed it. 😊

@Lauren

Thanks for making me laugh. Hilarious! We are in accord.

"using it as a bridge in a long-term commitment ... not seeking it out, but as an option with the right person." Well said. I imagine the problems going on in the panhandle are causing a lot of people to rethink where they live. My family lives in the state, Dallas and San Antonio, but early on i managed to leave and have not looked back. There are soo many great places to settle and live. Still, relationships must be 50/50. In my last relationship she moved from Dallas to Seattle and moving here was my turn. I think the best case scenario would be if one moves the other is also willing to resettle in a place of their combined comfort.

@jackjr That sounds like a fair and equitable compromise, and a good way to find out how inflexible someone may be. I also left the state of my birth at an early age and I moved around quite a bit after that before settling here. Perhaps it's experiencing that at a young age that makes us more willing to consider moves in later life? I know people in Ohio who have never left the state - even their vacations are in other parts of the state - yet they will tell you how much better Ohio is than anywhere else.

@Lauren I was in the military for a while and met a lot of people from a family of 'Lifers.' They often traveled and some grew to love it and some hated it. It's all about one's personality. Our first move was when I was 13 (to Calif.) 4 years later we moved again to Seattle. I joined the military and back to N. Calif, then E. Mass. From there to N. Turkey, N. Virginia, Oklahoma and Germany (16 years). Back to Seattle and now on a island in an Archipelago (some 175 named islands) in NW Wash. I have also traveled throughout Europe and even Vietnam. I guess, for me, it's less about the place but also the person one is sharing that place with.

@jackjr I've not traveled anywhere as much or as far as you have, but I've moved a lot within North America, and I totally agree with you. For the right person, it's the right move (silly pun, sorry 🙂 ).

Amor de lejos es amor de pendejos 😂

Translation:

Long-distance love is foolish love.

I have talked with a few women who were anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand miles away. It always comes down to this: someone has to be both willing and able to move. I live in a beautiful spot with great weather year-round, I own a nice house, and I have a boat in the water. In short, I am not interested in moving. Many of the women I meet online are willing to move, but they live in foreign lands and can't get a visa. And I don't believe in shotgun weddings or marriages of convenience. I think a long engagement is the only thing that makes sense. That's two years, minimum. ⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Age has never been a factor, when both parties are comfortable with it.
Distance on the other hand is something that I'm not so flexible about.
We have to be honest with ourselves.
Considering how often will we be willing travel, and what would the long term relationship goals be.
As a homeowner I am not ready to sell my place at this time.

Unity Level 7 Mar 9, 2024

I've had them. One was with someone 2,600 miles away! We traveled some together, and it was fun, but in the end, neither one of us wanted to move. Then he died. :'(

I have a long distance relationship with money. I'm not in favor of it. 😟

Since I am open to move, a long distance thing might work. That said, I will not move to the southeast, northeast or southwest. My comfort range keeps getting smaller the more the years go by. Hawaii would be perfect, maybe. I have looked for apartments in Wenatchee but so far nothing.
Actually not even sure I want a relationship, I like living by myself. LOL

I tried long distance a few times, with men close to my age. One of them I met in person, I went to see him, he came to see me, and we took some trips. He thought moving out here would be a step in the right direction to get his life back in order. In the end it came down to he "couldn't" move because his mom had a "health scare." IOW mama tightened the leash. She didn't want her boy to fly the coop. That was my lesson, I never did long distance again. Even Council Bluffs (just across the Nebraska/Iowa border) is pushing it for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:749450
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.