Agnostic.com

16 4

Has anyone rested successfully on a red eye?

I'm taking my flight to NYC from Seattle on tuedsay night and I'm not a fantastic sleeper to begin with. Anyone have a trick to getting actual sleep? I want to run around town, not be sleepy. I'm usually an early bird so I think that will help with the time difference. I was thinking of taking benadryl; its helped me sleep in the past quite well with no grogginess in the morning.

pepperjones 8 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if someone's mentioned this already, but they dim the lights on the plane at night and encourage people to shut the windowshades and shut off their lights if they're not reading.

serns Level 5 May 7, 2018

In situations like that I do two benadryl and one 5mg melatonin. Knocks me out for the duration. Make sure to take the melatonin about 30-60 minutes at the time you want to fall asleep. Make sure that the time you take the melatonin is the time you want to fall asleep that night and the next night, since melatonin sets your internal clock.

@pepperjones 😮 I don't envy you that. Take care of you!

@pepperjones Ha ha! Great attitude 🙂

I’m taking a red eye from San Jose, CA, to London next month. I appreciate all the suggestions too.

I was recently diagnosed with a superficial blood clot, so I’m working with my doc on strategies to keep from developing a DVT. I know getting up and walking is a good strategy, so I’m definitely going to ask about sleep duration after reading this thread.

I don't fly and hardly travel. Both my kids go overseas each year, usually 23-25 hours from start to destination and they don't give it a thought. They read sleep etc. Never get jet lag. My son came home from Atlanta I picked him up from airport and dropped him at work. A few months back he was all over Europe, then arrived back from China late one night, started work first thing the next morning. Then my kids read in the car, I would be so travel sick.

Listen to the music of Michael Jackson or Prince. That is so boring that you will fall asleep very quickly.

I have fallen asleep on a spare tire in the back of a pick-up, I have fallen asleep mid conversation. When it is nappy time I am out

When flying coach for long haul flights of 10 - 15 hours, I try to get as comfortable as possible.

I have the best travel pillow available on the market and some excellent eye shades that I bought at Brookstone. Both were expensive, but well worth it. I also have a pair of really comfortable slippers that I put on prior to boarding the aircraft.

There is no such thing as "getting comfortable" in coach on long haul flights. All one can do is minimize the misery.

As for sleep, in order to minimize jet lag I get as much as I can on the plane. Without the use of drugs or alcohol. I try to arrive at my travel location as close to the local time where I would be going to bed if I was at home. I get a good nights sleep and wake up in the morning just like it's a regular day. Not thinking about the fact that if I was at home I'd be winding down for the day instead of having breakfast.

God no. I flew on a red eye back from San Diego last year, and it was terrible. I flew a lot for work when I was younger, and it was bad enough then, but now that I'm older it's even worse.

I've never been able to sleep on a plane. I think the benedryl is a good idea.

I may have, but it's been many years since I took a red-eye. For sleeping or even resting on a plane, I use a horseshoe-shaped inflatable neck pillow. That keeps my head from tilting sideways much when I nap.

serns Level 5 May 6, 2018

@pepperjones Mine's getting old. Where did you find it?

I have slept on a short red eye and woke with a kink in my neck. Sleep yes - successful, meh.

Perhaps its a benefit of working night shift, swing shift, and random hours for the last 30 years, but I seem to have no trouble falling asleep under any circumstances -- just the white noise of a jet engine effectively knocks me out in a matter of minutes. Having said that, anyone with sleep difficulties has my sympathy since I'm terribly aware of what sleeplessness is like.

Using Benadryl as a sleep aid works for many, but I've always had problems with dry mouth, hypotension, tachycardia, and CNS depression long after awakening. No drug is without side effects, and I find the anticholinergic side effects of diphenhydramine bothersome. Several of my friends speak highly of Ambien (available only by prescription) as having the least number of side effects.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

@pepperjones I would avoid ambien

I have trouble sleeping in my own bed. On a plane it’s out of the question.

@pepperjones Ha. If only it was that simple.

Taking a valium and a drink works for me.

@pepperjones I understand your concern. It works for me to relax. I was just trying to help.

Maybe make yourself get up earlier than usual that day, and don't succumb to the desire to take a nap. Have a sleep mask with you (you won't be the only one – the only time I took a trans-Atlantic flight they were issued by the airlines).

There is a variety of different kinds of music that is made to be soothing and possibly sleep enhancing. Try to locate some that might work, have it on your phone or other device, and have a good set of earphones. Sweet dreams and have a great trip ✈️

Its just mind state, to sleep on a plane.... If you put your mind into getting some sleep then you will, no doubt. Have a safe and pleasant trip !!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.