Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK GOP’s inclusion of TikTok ban is secret weapon against Biden -- The Hill

By Alexander Bolton - 04/26/24

Democrats are bracing for a backlash from young voters over the potential ban of TikTok on U.S. phones, something made more likely by the Chinese government’s opposition to ByteDance selling off one of the most sophisticated algorithms in the world.

It’s a problem for President Biden, who won 60 percent of voters 18 to 29 years old in the 2020 election but has seen his support drop to 45 percent in that key demographic, according to a recent Harvard Youth poll.

An NBC News poll published in November even showed former President Trump leading Biden among voters ages 18-34 nationwide, 46 percent to 42 percent.

Democratic strategists have attributed Biden’s struggles with younger voters to the president’s age — 81 — and dissatisfaction over his handling of the war in Gaza, which has sparked protests on college campuses across the country.

Now a potential TikTok ban could become another headwind. While a ban wouldn’t go into effect before Election Day, TikTok plans to fight it vigorously and has warned its devoted fanbase that the popular app could disappear from their phones.

“A higher percentage of Americans under 30 oppose [the ban,]” said Stephen Weymouth, a professor at the Georgetown University McDonough School of Business.

“Unless the political leaders here are more persuasive in convincing people of the benefits of this possible divestment/ban, I think this is going to be relatively unpopular at a time when the president needs turnout from younger voters,” he added. “This is not likely to help.”

Up to 170 million Americans now use TikTok, and it’s especially popular with younger people.

An Associated Press/NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll published earlier this year found that 73 percent of Americans who use TikTok on a daily basis oppose a ban.

A poll of 1,001 Americans conducted by CNBC last month found that 48 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 34 opposed banning TikTok.

Another poll conducted by ClearPath Strategies, found that 51 percent of Black voters, another important Democratic constituency, said they oppose a ban and view the app favorably.

snytiger6 9 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This combined with losing the war in Ukraine is likely going to hand the White House to Trump on a platter.

So far, the "Hush money trial" has brought out many Trump lies and seems to indicate a conspiracy...

Just like Trump didn't do well with independent voters in 2020, I am hoping he won't do well again. I was going to say "he won't do well again", but I don't want to underestimate the stupidity of voters as I did in 2016.

@snytiger6 Trump never had the thinking person's vote. Sadly they are a small minority in America. I wasn't surprised in 2016, Hillary ran an arrogant lackluster campaign. (The fact that she blamed everyone on the planet but herself for her loss shows she wasn't qualified to be POTUS in the first place, but I digress.) Trump could certainly win this fall, our electoral system is a farce at this point, only like 6 states matter for the POTUS election.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:754175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.