Agnostic.com

15 2

Testifying Under Oath

What does an atheist do when they testify under oath and have to say "so help me God"

welkden3 4 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a Magistrate, and give the following oath to witness. "Do you solemnly swear, or affirm, that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." I leave God out of it. Other Judges and Magistrates don't In Ohio we have the discretion to do either.

No. You get them to say "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

You say, "I do, completely do, and nothing but do."

If you're swearing an oath on something you don't believe in then you haven't sworn an oath.....surely

Fuck it, just lie in court, everybody else does. 😉 Seriously however, just ask to take a secular oath.

I asked why we had to do it. Then after when I was challenged on one of my answers I explained it had to be true because I had taken the oath and we all understood how it worked. (ps, It was a truthful answer, just not the one the defense lawyer wanted!)

They are not required to do so as there are alternative statements that are acceptable

I would say it, but l would have my fingers crossed behind my back. ?

The last time i was in court, the judge of giving us the oath to serve on a jury gave a secular oath. But that is in southern California, not a bible belt region.

That is not used and there is no hand on the Bible. I had to sign an oath with that on it. I crossed it out

I would say it, because it makes no difference to me. I tell the truth because it is who I am. Because the intent-the meaning - to tell the truth is there, the actual words don't matter so much.

If I have to I have to.

I go to court on a regular basis as part of my job duties to testify to company records on collection accounts. When I'm sworn in, there is no "so help me god" in the swearing in process. (Edited to correct misspelling)

Don't/ You don't have to. The Bible forbids it.
Matthew 5:34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;

wmou Level 4 May 7, 2018

In Canada anyone can ask to repeat an affirmation instead of taking a religious oath. This involves no bible or other holy book and no references to any gods.

Holy Book ??? what is the definition of holy ?? I must look it up. How does a book attain this state of being ?.............. it is all a mystery to me..

You can actually request to place your hand on something other than the bible like your heart and same with this statement I think it can be switched out for something humanist, but there is no law saying you have to take an oath or swear to anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.