Agnostic.com

5 6

LINK Canadian family sues after Catholic hospital prolongs their daughter's suffering -- Friendly Atheist

Samantha O’Neill wanted to die with dignity. A taxpayer-funded Catholic hospital wouldn't let her.

Jun 19, 2024

Samantha O’Neill died of cervical cancer last year at the age of 34.

Despite chemotherapy and radiation, her disease was terminal, and the pain quickly became overwhelming. She ended up going to the closest hospital for treatment and soon decided to make use of Canada’s Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) law, which has been legal since 2016. She wanted to end life on her own terms instead of letting the disease have the final say.

(Follow above article link to view original article with photos/PDFs.)

Unfortunately, the taxpayer-funded hospital she was at to treat her cancer, St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, was run by a Catholic organization called Providence Health Care. The Catholic Church, of course, opposes the practice of euthanasia and would rather see patients suffer from incurable diseases than allow them to seek peace. They also won’t allow outside physicians to come into the hospital to do that work—which suggests the hospital itself has the legal right to refuse to provide certain types of care. (In Canada, individual physicians have conscientious objection rights.)

So the hospital told O’Neill she would have to go somewhere else to get the treatment she wanted. But by that point, movement was all but impossible.

It made the final hours of her life even worse than they already were:

O’Neill was in excruciating pain — her lumbar ribs had fractured, a side-effect of the osteoporosis caused by the chemotherapy.

So she was medicated to unconsciousness before being lifted onto a gurney and driven by ambulance to St. John Hospice. She did not regain consciousness again before she was given the life-ending medication, [cousin Taryn] Bodrug said, so the transfer robbed her of her final hours with her parents, siblings and friends.

“Instead of having a goodbye, where she could just say goodbye to friends and family, she had to get heavily medicated to withstand the pain of just getting to the appointment,” her cousin said.

She was supposed to have death with dignity. She wasn’t allowed to have it because a Catholic hospital said she deserved to suffer.

Several months later, the British Columbia Health Ministry signed a deal with Providence Health to alleviate this kind of problem in the future: they would allow a secular health care provider (Vancouver Coastal Health) to set up shop just outside the Catholic hospital in order to take care of all the problems the Catholic hospital refused to solve, including MAiD.

But why the hell was the government creating this makeshift “solution” when the Catholic hospital was receiving taxpayer money? Why prop up a religious hospital that wasn’t serving the public?

Samantha’s parents, Gaye and Jim O’Neill, are now suing the BC Health Ministry, Providence Health Care, and Vancouver Coastal Health. They say the government allowing a Catholic hospital to block their daughter’s ability to access MAiD “is an unjustifiable interference with their rights.” Furthermore, building a new secular facility nearby doesn’t resolve the issues:

Dying with Dignity Canada, which is named as a plaintiff in the lawsuit, says the new space has not yet been built and if it had been built during Samantha’s hospital stay, it wouldn’t have made a difference for her case because she still would have had to be placed on a stretcher and moved to the other facility — a move that would have caused Samantha pain, according to its vice chairwoman, Daphne Gilbert, a University of Ottawa law professor.

She also said moving a patient who requests MAID in a faith-based facility “stigmatizes” the patient because “you’re being told what you’re requesting is sinful.”

The lawsuit says very clearly that the Catholic hospital was interfering with O’Neill’s medical care. When the two are in conflict, the patient’s (legal) needs must come before a hospital’s religious dogma. The government’s job is to be neutral, not side with Catholics when they want a patient to remain in pain.

Dr. Jyothi Jayaraman, a palliative care doctor who’s also a plaintiff in the lawsuit, said that while she respects doctors’ rights to be conscientious objectors when it comes to ending someone’s life, she’s a “conscientious participant.” She believes it’s her duty to help patients end life on their own terms. And yet the hospital would never allow her to practice such care in their facilities.

The question now is whether a faith-based, taxpayer-funded hospital should be exempt from laws that involve patient care.

“Sam suffered because her beliefs did not align with that of a religious group,” said Gaye and Jim O’Neill. “There was no peace in Sam’s passing. It was violent and cruel. We don’t know if we will ever heal from this experience, but we know we owe it to Sam to make sure this never happens to another family.”

snytiger6 9 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should sue the Catholic Church out of existence. This type of dogmatic care is what you get at their hospitals and they should come with a warning label about the infusion of sadistic religiosity in every service.

I had my firstborn in Catholic hospital with male Catholic doctor. Dr. William Gallagher at Little Company of Mary Hospital. When my blood pressure spiked because of abuse from my husband, I was told to go to hospital where i was strapped to the bed with a Pitocin drip for 16 hours of pain. They wouldn’t let me up to pee or wash my face or swish my mouth with water.

Doctor would come in and chuckle about how “dramatic” I was being and if I really was “suffering like Jesus on the cross.” The doctor would come in make other comments like above then go out in the hallway with husband to confer with him about my status because the men were cooler heads. Apparently he told my husband, I had a long way to go, doc was going out for a round of golf and then home for dinner and then he’d be back later to pull the kid out. No one bothered to tell me what was going on and I was too young and stupid to complain or demand.

Finally at 11pm, they wheeled me into delivery room with my hair and gown plastered to my body with sweat, lips cracked, mouth and throat parched with thirst, weak with pain and told me to sit up and arch my back so they could give me a spinal pain injection. When I couldn’t because I had been in the same position for so long, they started yelling at me for being uncooperative and lazy. “You’re just having a baby, stop being one.” So they roughly pushed me down and put a gas mask over my face which immediately knocked me out while they dragged my son out with forceps.

When I woke up I heard a baby crying. I said is that my baby? Doctor slapped me on the naked ass, said yes, it was hard to get him out because you are smaller on the inside than your backside would suggest and your son is almost 9 pounds so I had to cut you. I had just turned 22, and had 34 inch hips. He told my husband he stitched me up real tight so I’d almost be like a virgin again. I couldn’t sit for weeks and son had a forceps mark across his face that apparently damaged a nerve because he always had a crooked smile.

It’s a veritable where’s Waldo of religious imagery, ain’t it? I can’t even imagine the abuse the dying woman endured but this certainly triggered me as you can see.

Sounds charming from beginning to end. So sorry this happened to you.

Oh, yes. Teresa established that salvation come through suffering and she "suffered" a whole lot of people.

I have, many times, given a beloved pet a calm and quick end.
All good pet owners understand that the sad day will come when the pet needs to have peace. It is an acknowledged Fact of pet care.
When my Mother was suffering, I was a coward.
A good daughter would have put a pillow over her face and hoped the staff didn't pop in.
I was not that good daughter and I regret it.
How can we treat our pets far better than we treat our parents and ourselves?

"How can we treat our pets far better than we treat our parents and ourselves?" It's easy when your country's culture and history is infected with the plague of religious fundamentalism (i e. Evangelical Christianity).

@Flyingsaucesir it was a rhetorical question.

@annewimsey500 I know, but I wanted to make it explicit in case any 3rd parties came reading along. 😉

@Flyingsaucesir aaaaahhh yeses, and I know to whom you refer (wait, is there a plural form of "whom"????)

@annewimsey500 Oh yeah!

Jack Kavorkian was a hero.

Outrageous and sadly all to common

In some parts of Canada, some "public" hospitals (particularly in the western provinces) are owned by churches - most notably Catholic . They receive taxpayer $ but are often allowed to deny/alter treatments that do not meet their religious beliefs.

As Canada is a huge country, in many areas there are no other real hospital options and politicians (usually the Conservatives) pander to them - sound familiar?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:759267
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.