Agnostic.com

37 6

Should the Boy Scouts be both for boy and girls?

• 58 votes
  • 28 votes
Bazinga 4 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In Australia it has been for over 17 years, most of the scout masters, etc are women, because it has always been hard to find suitable men who have the time, never been a problem. Locally the Girl Guides folded because the girls were more interested in camping and the like, so they joined the Scouts. It's "The Scout Association of Australia" they lost the boy bit quite a long time ago.

Kimba Level 7 May 8, 2018

Scouting can be good for both boys and girls. However, unless and until they remove
their religious components, it's not "good" for anyone.

@KKGator Despite the religious components - the experience and lessons learned can be good for everyone involved. It teaches the kids the value of working as a team, serving their communities and a ton of necessary life skills. I didn't become a non-theist until long after the scouts and I continue to hold onto some of the valuable lessons I learned - most of which had nothing to do with religion but basic common sense.

@SLBushway Did you miss the first sentence of my response?

@SKETCHYZOMBIE I suppose I did.

All you people pearl-clutching about co-ed shenanigans, have you seriously forgotten that at that age the opposite sex all have cooties?

At 16-17...?

@IntegralOmega They have Scouts over the age of ten? Dang.

Um... not for me... not sure t hat is a good thing but.. I WAS interested at a young age. Yes, I would've said "cooties" when talking to an adult but...

Tell the truth, at what age did you first consider the likes of playing doctor?

NOW, having said that I will ask another question: at what age would it have been a serious concern that you'd've risked full on sex?

Ie: it's one thing to 'play doctor' with another young person and maybe get naked and learn about body parts. It's another to put boy and girl together and... yet another to risk getting pregnant.

Oh, and for the record, the youngest known successful pregnancy? 5.. Yeah, 5 years old... she never did say who the father was, her son, from that pregnancy committed suicide (if I recall correctly) at the age of 30, give or take. Wasn't the result we could hope for.l Meaning that she, and her son, were shamed for what happened the rest of their lives... which should not have happened.

Sorry... I drink and I know things. 🙂

@Gnarloc Wow.....what an awful story. 😟

@memorylikeasieve yes, iirc you become boy scout about 12 or so (everything below is cubscout and webelo) and stops when you turn 18. Most people don't get eagle scout until 16-17.

@IntegralOmega huh. I did not know that. I never knew anyone in Scouts of any kind older than about ten or so. ?

@memorylikeasieve Hmmm well I can tell you all of us in boyscouts we're horny idiots lol

While I expect that the Den Mothers and Fathers (leaders?) will have to be a bit more vigilant... I can come up with no good reason for the Scouts to NOT include girls.

Why are the scouts seperated anyway? Doesn't everyone need to know how to start a fire, and sew on a button?

I love the idea of merging the two!

I know a boy who was butt hurt when I started a fire with a magnifying glass.

Science, bitch.

Now do the same but with an ice cube 🙂

@Integral It would have to be very clear ice and you melt it into a convex shape. My best guess.

As someone who was a Life Scout I would love to see everyone able to be involved

Sadly with the BSA basically being run by the Mormon church they're no longer the great organization I remember

I think if the different Scout orgs joined forces that'd be GREAT

The mormans are cutting ties with the bsa and having their own scouting program! I know! That's so awesome!

As a former girl scout troop leader, I can say the two programs are completely different in focus and are pertinent to both genders, so why not let kids pick the program that fits their interests more. Boy scouts are more survival and outdoors and girl scouts are more urban and small business entrepreneur based.

I was in Girl Scouts. My bother was in Boy Scouts, and my mother was a den mother.

I kind of hated Girl Scouts. I loved tagging along with my brother's troup to campouts and whatnot. I would have much rather been in Boy Scouts: cooler activities.

So many things would be so much better if we (here in America) taught young people how to deal with, think, feel, and talk about their sexual urges. Like, maybe someday we could think about boys and girls doing things together without clutching our pearls...

I know that things have probably changed a lot since my childhood stint in the Girl Scouts in the early 1970's, but the reason I quit the Girl Scouts was while we were stuck making collages from macaroni, tempura paint, and Elmer's Glue, the Boy Scouts were earning badges for outdoorsmanship, science projects, and were allowed and encouraged to play hard and not admonished for getting their uniforms dirty. In short, I felt like I was getting the short end of the stick in Girl Scouts and the guys were having all the fun. So unless there has been sweeping changes to the Girl Scouts organization, girls should have the same opportunities as the Boy Scouts, because the little that I took away from my Girl Scouts experience is completely irrelevant in today's world. The Boy Scouts have much more to offer.

I've obviously never been a girl scout, but my son and daughter both started in scouting. My son become an Eagle Scout, and my daughter quit girl scouts in frustration.

@JimG Frustration over what?

No boy scouts should be desolved and girl scouts should become scouts so we can double the amount of cookie peddlers wondering our streets.

This guys got ideas. I vote for this plan.

Yeah. those twenty dollar tins of stale popcorn they peddle are not good.

I would have loved this when I was a girl. I think it's great.

Yes. But they should change the name to include all genders.

Gohan Level 7 May 8, 2018

I think it's a great idea both sexes

I don't care about that. I just want them to drop all the religious crap, and stop trying to indoctrinate the kids.

If you want a co-ed organization, make one. Who are we to tell someone what they should and should not do with their community?

Tejas Level 8 May 8, 2018

The bsa has made that decision, they weren't told to.

Boy Scouts are for boys. A co-ed scout program would be welcome.

In th 90s a few of my friends in high school were in boys scouts. They were called explorer scouts. The high school girls were welcome to camping trips etc. From what I understand the explorer scouts did indeed do much exploration on those camp outs!

No, unless they change the name to "Scouts of America", or something similar. Camp-outs may be a problem area, however...

It is now.

Has been for i think a couple of years.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE Well they just changed the name.

But most chapters quietly changed a couple years ago as far as coed.

Kinda of been involved with prodding them into modern thinking for a couple decades.

They already have girl scout for girls, wth man. I hate to break it to everyone, but girls and boys are NOT equal! Girls are better at some things and boys are better at other things, their psychology is different, their outlook on life, goals,aspirations, etc, all different!!

Boys are not equal to each other, but that does not seem to have been a problem for the Boy Scouts. As to your last sentence, I agree that the psychology of boys and girls is different, but the other differences that you claim are all the result of socialization or, more and more, merely the assumptions of those who hold these views.

When the boy scouts truly become fully inclusive, the diversity of the members will help to strengthen the oranization. Groups that hold onto exclusive selection processes will no longer be able to compete successfully in this world. So when the lds church cuts ties with the bsa, they are, in effect, creating their own demise.

Cheri Level 5 May 9, 2018

So lets disolve the wnba.... no reason to have it accorrding your logic, lets see how many wnba member can make a nba roster.

What ever happened to the Girl Scouts? When the BS are homophobic and "god fearing" the girl scouts were not. Why should we mess up the girl scouts by introducing a sense of paternalism. Maybe the question should be should the Girl Scouts be for both?

Yes, the girl scouts should be for both, too.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE Not yet, but I could easily see that happening within a decade.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE I was replying to your comment about it being a merger.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE You seem to know a lot about Scouts' organizations. Just wondering if you are a troop leader, parent of a scout, or employed by any scout organization.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE Many government agencies refused to subsidize the BS because of their policies. One city park I volunteered for did just that. However, they did subsidize a 3 week program for the Girl Scouts. Again, why should we mess up girls minds by putting them with the BS? Let the Girl Scouts vet what boys they will allow to join them. Think about this: it is not masculine for a boy to join a girls group but it's okay for a girl to join a boys group (not)!
@Cheri

@BlueWave There seems to be some confusion here but I will reply anyway. I was very active in the Weblos, Boy Scouts and Explorer Scouts until I was too old. My step-son got his Eagle but turned it in to protest their policy on gays. I and his mother was proud. I volunteered with a city park in Seattle for 8 years and this issue came up frequently.

@jjhagen Good they should be. Of course it would not be masculine for a boy to join the Girl Scouts so it has to be the other way around.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE And they are disassociating themselves from the Mormon church. All steps in the right direction. The big problem is that all this was caused by a lack of finances and that still needs to be addressed.

@SKETCHYZOMBIE It's too bad because I loved it. I spent many fun days camping and doing outdoor things (I never made it past 2nd class because it was about the experiences not some goal. When I moved up to Explorers I was given 5 merit badges because the leader knew I had earned them.

@JackPedigo the masculinity or femininity is something that shouldn't even matter. Masculine men and feminine females all work together in society. The sooner they learn to work together in ALL tasks, the better off we will be as a society.

@Cheri But I think it does matter in our society.

@JackPedigo yes, at the expense of women.

@Cheri An maybe/hopefully that is changing. I think it is high time that males put themselves in females positions hence pushing the boys to join the girl scouts. Reminds me of some older cartoons with boys tree houses with sign saying "No girls allowed".

@JackPedigo I agree. I think boys could benefit just as much learning about and participating in traditional female roles as girls would from learning about and participating in traditional male roles. The more girls and boys share all aspects of work and recreation, the more they will understand and appreciate each other in ALL aspects.

We have a local pack that allows girls to join, I see no problem with it so long as there is adequate adult supervision.

Some groups are already co-ed. I think both Boy and Girl Scout activities need to be updated to allow more non-traditional options on both sides.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.