Agnostic.com

25 8

What distopian world would you choose to live in?

If you had to choose one of the distopian worlds that you have read about, which world would it be, and why?
Personally, I would choose Brave New World. Despite the issues that arose, I think I could live with genetically engineering people, doing away with pregnancy and marriage, getting rid of pain, and living life for pleasure.

pan_heathen97 7 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bah Humbug, i will move to Canada!

I'm sorry but we're closed. 😉

@Surfpirate but, but, but...you guys are so polite & friendly...and I love poutin!

@AnneWimsey True but if we let you in then we'll have to let everyone else in too. Actually we already accept far more refugees and asylum seekers than our much larger southern cousins, so we can always add a bit of water to the soup and make room for one more. 🙂
If you ever get the chance you should try real Poutine with the squeaky cheese from Quebec along with a Steamy from LaFleurs which puts a Nathan's hotdog to shame.

@Surfpirate Quebec poutine is the only kind I have tried! Is that what that chesse is called?
Too funny, but perfectly descriptive! Also POGO if traveling on a budget. Lol!

@AnneWimsey If you've only had Quebec Poutine then you have only had the real deal, you can get a poutine from Costco in Canada as well as many fast food restaurants but it isn't the real deal. If the cheese doesn't give a little squeak when you bite into it then it isn't proper poutine.

@Surfpirate last time I was in Quebec, I was on the way home before I realized I had not had any poutine....quelle horreur! I was lucky enough to go thru a tiny place near railroad tracks with "artisan" poutine, where they added shredded meat of your choice atop! Heaven!

@SeeMeFading Ah the hubris of it all, you are forgetting that Canadians are the people that gave your White House it's name when we sacked Washington and gave you your first Vietnam. We know we can't do it today but we also know that you have as much chance of occupying Canada as you do of occupying Russia, you'll never survive more than 2 winters. lol
Besides, we would corrupt you with free health care, sensible gun laws and legal marijuana, before you know it the Americans would effectively become Canadian, so go ahead and invade Canada, you'll evolve as a society for the experience. 🙂

The Matrix. I would negotiate one hell of a deal for myself. LOL!

@atheist Precisely. It's the "art of the deal," don'tcha know. LOL!

Psychopass! Your psyche is continuously under check by a specially designed device that checks your psyche hue. Hue ranges from shades of colours where red is at the extreme end. A person with hue in the shades of red is likely to commit crime and as a result he is arrested and given counseling until his/her hue returns to normal. No crimes, no criminals......a better world

I think I would opt for utopia.

The world of Fallout.

Probably not a great one. Post apocalyptic and desolate. But it’s a world I sort of understand. This one is utterly baffling

The Stand. Because in that world there would be a lot less people!

Me, too, but I'd get there early enough to save Nick.

Actually I preferred Robert McCammon's similarly-themed novel Swan Song, but in that one the massive deaths were the result of nuclear warfare, and that would not be a pleasant world to live in even with less people.

A Blade Runner scenario would be alright if I could manage to get off world otherwise I would find the constant rain to be depressing.
Either that or the Morlock / Eloi world in The Time Machine, hard to decide if I would rather be an Eloi who seem happier or a Morlock who seem better fed. 😀

You’ve pretty much described the “good elements” of the present. Surrogate motherhood makes pregnancy optional. Genetic ingeneering takes place every day when women select certain male donors when they want to receive IVF, opioids make pain a convenient excuse, and everyone seems to be living for the eeekend. The fact that these practices are merely optional, not mandatory, makes the whole thing even better. I would agree that despite its pitfalls the present is the best time ever in the history of our species.

I like the world of “I, Robot,” the movie with Will Smith. I read the Asimov short stories that share the same title, and they are great, but do not not depict a distopian world. The endless possibilities of a human/cyber symbiosis are very attractive despite the inherent dangers contained therein.

Have you read "Origin" by Dan Brown. (It's not like all his previous/similar books.) It talks about human/robot interection or symbiosis as the next logical step. It made me think.

@DevraisA1 I am so desperately hoping I live until the time when I can have my brain uploaded into a computer, and spend the rest of eternity reading everything and interacting with people digitally. I don't know if I believe this is possible, but then 150 years ago, who would have thought THIS was possible?

@DevraisA1 Not yet. I like that Dan Brown. I will check out “Origins.”

@ArturoS I found that it really fascinated me. I hope you find it the same.

Good question they're all kinda miserable

As an Australian, has to be Mad Max.

Just like heaven it would get boring after a while.

I'll take Divergent, all the other ones involve not feeling emotion and without that, what's life? Dark Matter was a close second but who wants to still be a slave to corporations in their fantasy?

Would have to be the Firefly 'verse 🙂
Basically because i want to be a browncoat. But also i reckon a lot of people in Scotland like me empathise with Malcolm Reynolds 😛

Lots of them have good points. I like the dystopian world of The Walking Dead because problems aren't so much psychological or complex anymore. It's like war, brutal but black and white. The one world I would not like is the one they had in the movie Idiocracy. Those guys frighten me more than zombies!

I believe that maternity evolved in many good ways, I am grateful that my parents transmitted me the sense of love and rationality which is the base of my life. I feel glad that it was not about religion but goodness. By the way English is not my native language , I just do my best to communicate my ideas , so please have this in mind.

Star Trek! Oh, wait...

I think I would always be fighting a dystopian world. The world I imagine doesn't exist yet, but I try to my corner of it better.

The one were in.
Iran and Israel about to start a shit storm, Trumpodaklown getting his war, corporate rule, bigotry gaining power.....
What could be better.

I feel like I would prefer some fictional worlds, honestly.

I'd love to live in the Deus Ex universe, a world filled with nanotechnology and human augmentation, being a nanoaug would rock big time.

Altered Carbon

Proto Level 6 May 9, 2018

Ditto,lots of Soma as well!

Coldo Level 8 May 9, 2018

You mean besides our current one?

The world of Ready Player One wouldn’t be too bad. As long as you avoid the IOI.

Does the Walking Dead scenario count? My band would select a good prison and defend it with all our might instead of squandering it away like Rick and company.

The Giver trilogy. Not completely horrid, but dull and no control over your life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77330
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.