Agnostic.com

42 8

Who else feels compelled to hide their atheism from co-workers?

Story time: when I was in a class in 5th grade sitting at a table with half a dozen other students, I responded to another kid's question by telling them, "my family never goes to church. I don't know anything about Jesus". Half the kids left the table and one of them told our teacher Mrs. B (Timber Creek Elementary Raymore, MO 2001). Ever since then I have been selectively about who I will talk to about these things. I've gotten older, and realize how it can affect my ability to work cooperatively in society. It's not right, but I can't alienate my fellow workers by telling them the truth. Is there any consensus here on how to approach these situations?

habemushummus 4 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope,...Im totally open about it and I've been a Priest for nearly 20 years now.

I'm kidding of course.. but I am sincerely very up front open and honest about it..there have been no issues that I am aware of.

@Hitchens - Depends where you live too. I'm from Chicago originally but now live in the bible belt and I do hide my beliefs except on fb. I'm in NE Tennessee and it's truly Appalachia. Some people here even go on religious benders during business meetings and no one seems to have a problem with it. At employee gatherings where food is served some old guy always gives an extemporaneous prayer during which I bow my head like the rest of them, but it does irk me. If I still lived in Chicago I could be much more open about my atheism. Here, I think I'd definitely be ostracized.

No, I don’t hide it at all. If all of my co-worker don’t already know then I’m sure those that I haven’t told directly suspect it. I don’t throw it in their faces and they don’t throw their religious beliefs at me. We all get along and none of us are walking on “eggshells” around each other.

I keep to myself on my lack of belief.

I don't advertise it. I also try to make sure the conversation doesn't go that way. I don't want to lie about my atheism, so I'd rather just not talk about it. I don't know how weird some people will be.

I think my boss' boss may be okay, but she's not been shy about saying that faith comes first and then family and then job. While I respect her decision to place family above the job, she clearly is very religious, and I'm sure it's as a Christian (probabilities). So while I think she wouldn't overlook me for a promotion, I'm not going to risk it.

It's all about survival. If you don't feel comfortable saying you're an atheist, then don't do it. Some work places are perfectly fine.

I don't discuss my views unless someone feels compelled to start discussing their religion, then I open up and let it out.

not such a big deal here in the UK , hardly anyone goes to church,

Isn't Christianity education compulsory in the UK? Everyone receives an education about the Anglican Church? I'm surprised it wouldn't come up more in a workplace.

@habemushummus hi , we have what is called "Religious Education" which includes Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, even though the Queen is head of the Church of England. When Prince Charles becomes king, he will modify the oath by saying "Defender of Faith" instead of "Defender of THE Faith" with the subtle removal of the word "THE"

The move would mean the monarch, as Supreme Governor of the Church of England, would no longer be known as Defender of the Faith for the first time since the reign of Henry VIII.

@magicwatch thank you for informing me. That seems far more inclusive, but would you prefer if there were no religious education at all? How do you feel about the American attempt to achieve a secular government?

@habemushummus this is just my personal opinion, but wasn't the American Constitution originally based on a secular basis, but then they added "in god we trust" ? what American attempt to achieve a secular government? that's not the message were getting from Trump

@magicwatch I inserted the word attempt exactly for the reason you are describing. During the Red Scare post World War II, the United States became seized with fear of atheism as it related to communism. That's where 'In God We Trust' came from. You sound well versed in American history so I know I'm not giving you any new information. I always liked what Christopher Hitchens said about our American founding fathers. He said that, had Charles Darwin existed and made his discoveries during their time, the founding fathers would have been atheists rather than deists. None-the-less the United States is still the only nation with no established religion. Despite all appearances, we are meant to be secular by design.

@habemushummus good answer, I love Hitchens, too, share your thoughts with the community

It’s just part time ..as I’m working toward retirement.. But where I’m at now is likely the first place I’ve ever worked that any religious are outnumbered by the ‘nons.’ Age has some perks.. like choosing ‘who’ you'll work for, and not the other way around 🙂

Varn Level 8 May 9, 2018

I don't go out of my way to hide anything, but I don't go out of my way to share anything either.

I typically try to 'smell' the room. I don't like to start religious wars, however my bosses are atheists as well. My direct supervisor regularly recommends books on skepticism, science, philosophy and history which is pretty awesome.

I've been open about it, but with some recent personnel changes, that may bite me in the ass. There's no turning back now though. I guess I could tell people I've found Jesus and leave it at that. That's not me though. I value integrity, and pretending to believe in fairytales would be embarrassing.

I always feel sorry for people who are so deluded as to live in fear of an imaginary despot.

JimG Level 8 May 9, 2018

It never comes up, and if it did I’d have no problem talking about it. I think everyone at my job is an athiest without exception.

Heck. I'm the opposite. I'm trying to find ways to come out of the closet without actually offending anyone. If just being a non-believer offends them, then they are just too intolerant.

I understand many people here have jobs or might be persecuted for coming out. Fortunately for me, I'm fairly independent and don't rely on anyone else for much.

Maybe I have lost friends for saying what I believe but maybe they weren't really good friends then after all.

I think if they can say what they believe, I should have the same right to say what I believe. We all need to be tolerant of each other.

Would you feel differently if you were a supervisor to the co-workers?

@habemushummus : I hope as a supervisor I would not feel differently. I think people should be free to be who they are and believe what they think is right as long as it does not cause trouble on the job. I think we should all be able to get along (unless they believe in sacrificing babies). 😉

@dare2dream I already assume a role where people have to report to me for their issues which required time off. Personal and family issues. We run a family small business so we have to stick pretty close in terms of accommodating those types of situations. Personal and family issues always seem to bring up the prospect of talking about praying for family members or prayers or religious affiliation related to funerals and family deaths.

I hide it from some co-workers, but I have also told others. The co-workers that I hide it from (because I don't want to talk/debate religion at work) are normally the people who are very religious or constantly bring up their religion's deity in conversation.

As others point out, I don't go around espousing my atheism, just as I hope my co-workers don't espouse their judaism, buddhism, christianity, islamism, etc (yes, we have all that at work). But it has come up in some situation. Usually via "get to know each other team building" exercises.

The most recent example was an exercise where we (a table of 8) were asked to come up with things we have in common. Someone suggested (and everyone else agreed) that we all seek guidance and understanding through prayer. I politely said that I don't and prefer to make decisions based on facts rather than insight or feeling. A quiet pause at the table, an attempt to water down the statement. When that didn't work, quickly moved to another point.

It appalls me how tough you guys sometimes have it in America. When I first started to get into online atheist communities I had a hard time believing that such prejudice existed and was so widespread in a nation that I thought was essentially similar to my own — even to the extent that it can threaten your job security and safety.

That's unheard of anywhere else in the world that isn't friggin' Pakistan or Malaysia or suchlike.

Nope. If they bring it up to me, "I'm a total atheist" is my stock response.

I'm fairly "closeted" when it comes to my nonbelief, as well, except to my circle of friends. At my work, we recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, and I always omit the phrase "under god" and a few people have noticed, but it's not discussed openly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.