Agnostic.com

58 114

10 of my favorite Neil deGrasse Tyson quotes:
because he's just so quotable

1. The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

2. We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.

3. The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all.

4. The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.

5. Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.

6. When scientifically investigating the natural world, the only thing worse than a blind believer is a seeing denier.

7. Ignorance is a virus. Once it starts spreading, it can only be cured by reason. For the sake of humanity, we must be that cure.

8. Down there between our legs, it's like an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewage system. Who designed that?

9. I love the smell of the universe in the morning.

10. God is an ever-receding pocket of? scientific ignorance.

silvereyes 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The guy is more a showman than he is a 'scientist', even the first quote isn't correct!

Love this guy

Thanks for sharing!!

1 and 4 are my favorite, cool post

Neil deGrasse Tyson is fantastic!

And if some fake news accused you of being a sexual predator whose to say the right from the wrong deny deny deny will always be my answer

"Star talk" rules!

I totally agree with his comments.

Leon Level 5 Sep 18, 2018

Personally I totally agree with every quote. You know every religion claims to believe as they do because of reason, education or intelligence given by their God in Revelation. But whether they admit it or not, all of them or assuming their preferred conclusions on faith, and this would still be true even if all their gods exist. Believe as hard as you want to, but convincing yourself however firmly still can't change the reality of things. Seeing is believing, but seeing isn't knowledge. Believing isn't knowing. Subjective convictions are meaningless in science, and I witness testimony is the least reliable form of evidence.

I'm currently wearing a shirt that says "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

Love him!

I agree, I like NDT's contribution to the enlightenment cause also. I especially appreciate his exuberance at the wonder of investigation. There is one recorded clip where he is explaining his overflowing awe at scientific discovery. He expressed well my own feelings on that. Earlier a gentlemen seemed to mis characterize NDT's appeal. I will borrow from Hitchens to respond to that; "We have no martyrs, we have no saints."

10 Commandments of scientific deities and prophets??? Nah, that's okay, I pass. I was an atheist before he learned to write. Never needed him or jesus or doctor who. No Idols promoted in my life. Pass.

If you "pass" why did you respond at all?

@intrepid65 Passed on you too.

We miss you sivereyes...

Neil is a rock star ?

808nyx Level 4 July 20, 2018

Love #6 & #8

Very nice, but certainly no more enlightening than anyone on here could have presented with their own list. Anyone disagree?

..compare to Mr. Robert Rodale!!!!!!!.!!

Maybe so--but his easy delivery and articulate speech put him in the ''expert'' category.

There's nothing in these statements that the average intelligent human being can't work out for themselves (which is much more preferable to simply regurgitating someone else's take on them) ?

....ok but now Pat Robertson is
a religious " rock star"
I rather society promote true
factual understanding of reality
as we encounter it

I like them all but have reservations about number seven...'Ignorance......can only be cured by reason.' I've always held to the belief (based on factual evidence) that it is a waste of time attempting to reason with the unreasonable just as it is when attempting to rationalise with the irrational. I stopped doing this many years ago: the number of hours I must have saved, instead of spending them in fruitless conversations, must be immense......

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that he is (in my opinion) the intelligent woman's SEX SYMBOL!

He is constantly botching basic math and physics and mangling history.

He may seem like a super smart astrophysicist. If you're the typical Katie Perry or Kim Kardashian fan.

@HopDavid No, actually....I'm NOT a Kardashian fan. I'm referring to the Neil I see on his talk show, responding rationally, enjoying humor and NOT being the super-judgmental person you seem to be.

@LucyLoohoo In the above quotes I see Neil suggesting that he and his fans are the cure to ignorance spreading like a virus.

It seems to me it's Neil and his fans passing judgement here. Take a look in a mirror. Ignorance afflicts you as well as the neighbors you're looking down on.

@HopDavid ...humility can be cultivated in a human-if he represents
a haughty field of study,, don't blame him ; blame the way science is
Represented in a society ;...he is a
soldier in a war against ignorence
just like Mr. Robert Rodale was in agriculture---messengers with a message that is very needed in my humble opinion ?

@BBJong Looks to me as if SOMEONE has an agenda....(not you...not me.....)

I think he’s awesome. He is coming to Phoenix in later this year, October I think. The topic is Live in the Universe. I want to get tickets to see him.

He is the best. He is like the Obama of science. He is Intelligent, witty, informative, and does it with class.

He misinforms. He botches high school math and physics. And his histories are invented fictions.

@HopDavid A bit of a TROLL here, aren't you?

But the universe makes complete sense to me. People, on the other hand...

Thank you for those words of wisdom

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.