Agnostic.com

17 12

Taking an unscheduled day off

Do you lie and say you are sick or do you simply say I won't be in today?

Crimson67 8 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am very fortunate with my bosses and it's a big part of why I don't leave the godforsaken bible belt.

If I had a good reason to stay home for the day, unplanned, I would be honest with my bosses (I support four attorneys). If they needed me, I would come in regardless. If they didn't really need me, they would give me an "All good."

I try very hard to live radically honest and avoid making up excuses.

Usually been lucky enough to have bosses I can be entirely honest with.

When I worked... I knew the schedule for the next day. We would sit in meetings discussing breaks and lunch and parts and who does what and estimated time of completion. I would have to get sick at work and tell them I may not be able to make the following day. They would pull an extra to sit in the meetings. It sucked... but it paid well. I made great money by suiting up and showing up.

I haven't been sick in...a few years? I also haven't taken an unscheduled day off in about the same amount of time. I really should though. Oh well

I am up front and tell mgmt ahead, unless I am really too sick to come in. I don't use sick time for non sick time off. I figure that's a good way to bring on a bout of illness. My fortune sure seems to run that way.

Zster Level 8 May 10, 2018

What ever it takes !!
Enjoy !

family emergency in the Cayman Islands.

Most of the pricks I've worked for wouldn't give me a day off unless I lied to them or was half dead.

Yep, and yep. I do both depending on the situation.

Doing that at the moment but I'm usually pretty honest about it.

@Crimson67 Anything on the agenda?

@Crimson67 TV shows? Books? Any pets? Time with your daughter? Eating a box of bonbons? 😉

@Crimson67 Other than no sugary balls of joy sounds ok. I remember you posting about your daughter before so I hope it's not something as bad as that was. I know you said you didn't want to talk about her but asking in general terms. 🙂

@Crimson67 Wow, ok... whatever you feel comfortable sharing... 😟 Spring has finally sprung here although today is a little chilly: 50's for a high. A couple days ago it was in the 80's. How's about where you are?

@Crimson67 Sometimes it works for me to go outside when it's hot and bake that junk out of me. Humid? Dry? Rainy? Louisville right? Does it get very humid there in the summer?

@Crimson67 You posted a picture of you and your daughter in costume for Rocky Horror. How's about a picture of you and your soccer star?

@Crimson67 So cool! He looks a lot like you too! 🙂

@Crimson67 🙂

In some cases the failure to recognise the danger inherent in some illnesses is inadequately recognised within many workplaces. I refer not just to infectious diseases but illnesses that affect an employee's ability to perform competently and safely. Even office workers can cause deaths through negligence.
You can kill as many people by inadvertently burning down a sweatshop garment factory with locked doors as you can by ploughing a 40 ton truck into crowds going into a football stadium.
Illnesses ranging from tooth ache, endometriosis, depression, menstruation to obsessive compulsive personality disorder etc. can all seriously affect competency and employee safety.

[aviva.co.uk]

@Crimson67 there you go. Failure to recognise illness. I liken it to not paying your taxes. I see that as a form of illness which means that you have a sick old dog in charge of your country.

? You don't deserve it ?

I look at this from the management point of view. I never cared if a good employee took time off, because I knew they would make it up. By law in Europe, people are allowed a limited time off for illness. I never bothered to check for my good staff. Bad staff never lasted long - one's boss usually knows when you are pulling the wool, and chooses not to acknowledge it unless it becomes habitual.

When you play in a band there is no calling in sick. I have played with a fever over 100 a few times. I once played with a drum stick taped to my hand because l smashed my fingers when the hood of a car fell on my hand and latched. The show must go on.

@Crimson67 You can have a fever and not be contagious. It still wouldn't matter. You have to play. ?

If you mention some mild form of dysentery, they never ask questions

The just say "That's real shitty" or some such joke!

I heard about someone calling in because their anus itched. Kind of limited discussion on the topic

@btroje. lol... "well how bad is it?"

@hankster I don't think they came to work

@ronin73 especially if you mention that you seem to be getting it on everything.

really depends on the boss.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.