Agnostic.com

40 3

Does the thought of living forever almost terrify you when you really think about it?

This was something I really was thinking about today. It may sound cool at first, but when I really got to think about it, it would really be frightening. To just live forever and ever with no end. I would think at some point every living thing needs to have closer eventually. Idk maybe it is just me.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me, living forever means learning forever and that is a wonderful idea. It would mean that I could devote time to studying a given subject without the concern that I didn't have it.

I think that most people don't think this through. There are a lot of things that come along with being immortal. One of the most important would be having the time to eliminate negative and/or destructive paradigms. Enough time to actually fix the errors of the past. Also, being immortal does not mean being supernatural. That is, death is possible for the immortal. I won't explain that, just you think about it and you'll understand. If you don't, then you shouldn't be immortal.

My feelings exactly. Just think about it! The ability to master anything and everything? What's not to love about that? Space exploration! Being able to learn everything. I actually am lucky I guess, because just about everything interest me. I think it would be great!

Would being immortal come with a massive brain? Otherwise you're just going to forget all the new stuff you're learning.

Eventually this planet is going to melt and you would be trapped in a pocket of space with nothing to do, you could not even swim to the next planet because there is no resistance to propel yourself.

Where! Good answer!

Are you referring to the sun going supernova?

That and many other possibilities asteroid collision black hole swallowing the galaxy the magnetosphere intensifying or the reverse. Just a few examples.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to live forever? Forever is a LONG time to dwell on lost loved ones and memories of what might have been....

Please read any vampire novel, and you'll see how LONELY the idea of 'forever' is....

I would not want to be immortal.

Once you've got past the pleasure of just outliving the hell out of everyone, I suspect it would get tedious.

no

I can't imagine a point at which there aren't world problems to solve, or advances and progress to witness and maybe even help in achieving. Oddly enough, the prospect of living forever I think would actually motivate me to be more involved in those types of things, I think because of the timescales involved. For example, colonizing Mars, breaking the light barrier and then exploring the galaxy, the realization of fusion power generation and the potential that has in improving all life on the planet, and so many other things.

In answer to your question: No it doesn't. It's the thought of not living forever that bothers me.

(Any vampires on here want to bite me on the neck - I'm up for it.)

I think you would also need to drink the vampire's blood after he/she drank yours. A bite by itself wold nto it and may kill you.... I mean as long as we are traveling this imaginary world, you may as well be sure you get reanimated rather than just bitten.

Hmm... Do you have to interview a vampire to find out which legends of how vampires are created that they adhere to? i guess for soem legends just beign bitten is enough. In others you need to be bitten three times. In yet others yu have to drink teh blood of the vampire to be "infected" after the vampire drinks your blood.

I wonder if there will be any wars over which legends" (religions) of vampirism is followed.

Maybe a thousand years with dibs on another.

gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

How about immortality with an escape clause?

@evidentialist That would be fine. I wouldn't want it though if I couldn't, at the same time, have a young body also. Nobody would want to be around an old SOB like me for an extended period of time.

@gearl - you'll get no argument from me on that one.

Yeah, taking it 1,000 years at a time doesn't seem to daunting.

yes what a curse

Nope. Probably because I know it's a physical impossibility. I don't worry about, or fear, things I know will not happen. Kind of like I don't worry about a zombie apocalypse because I know zombies aren't real.

I totally agree. And really, I don't want to live to be too old. I don't want to outlive my kids, or worse any grandchild. I want to remain in control of my mind and body. I have an aunt and uncle still alive in their 90's. They live with a grandchild and her family, but they are just existing not really living. Their social life is the doctor's office. Too old and frail to get out and do anything, and as my uncle used to say, he has CRS. Can't Remember Sh*t. Nope, I wanna go before life gets tedious.

My Dad said that he had maybe figured out a way to live forever. He read that few people die over the age of 100. He said that if he could make it to 100, he figured that he'd have a pretty good chance.

Living forever would be awesome. Learn all that is learnable.

I like that aspect of it, but having to deal with other people (forever) is not that appealing to me.

Can't say I've given it any thought. I've seen too much death to really consider it.

The idea sounds boring. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

I'd appreciate the ability to learn new things forever... but having to witness how shitty people treat each other forever is nto so appealing.

I don't think our generation, or a hundred generations to come have to worry about living forever. It's like worrying about the sun going supernova. Yeah, it will most likely happen, but no time soon - so why even worry about it at all?

Asuming I stopped ageing around like....now...I would be interested in it. At least being able to live as long as I desired. I'd love to see the discoveries made years from now. I'd love to learn everything there is to learn. I love knowledge and so long as there's something new to learn I'd have a reason to continue leaving.

That and I can finally fulfill my plans and conquer the galaxy! Hehe!

I think I'd want to turn the clock back to when I was 33, which is probably when I was the most physically fit.

I don't know if it terrifies me, I would certainly like more time than I think I've been given.

It sounds intriguing, but the loss of family and friends, continually through life might be a little depressing for me.

Can you imagine if a person had immortality, convicted of a crime and unbeknownst to the judge, given consecutive life sentences. Who wins that sentence?

It makes me think of the movie Groundhog Day.
Bill Murry's character goes through several emotional stages while being immortal.
Eventually, he's at a point where he spends all of his time trying to kill himself.
I think that's what I'd end up doing too, finding creative ways to try to end eternity.

That is what I want. Great health needs to be part of it, and I want family there too. I also don’t want to struggle financially.

Oh no. I wouldn't want to live forever. Just let me make it to 85 and I will be good.

MoniB Level 6 Dec 12, 2017

@EmeraldJewel Are you implying living forever in good health and at some point aging stops?

Yeah.

I used to think I would want to die at some point. However, now the concept of living forever doesn't sound so bad. It really depends on the state of the body for me, or if we can scientifically move beyond our organic bodies somehow.
If that were possible, we could see a time in the future where humanity truly begins to explore our universe. The idea of using our time discovering new planets and life would give me a reason to live.
I've read and watched some videos about scientists who feel they are close to understanding how to repair and somewhat reverse the process of aging. Basically, keeping our cells from constantly dying and degrading over time. If what their research suggests comes true, we could see people live youthful, healthy lives well into the early 100's in our lifetimes.
This could set up the type of lifespan scenario needed to make the long journey to a nearby habitable world one day.

Be careful what you ask for, remember Tithonus.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.